Night Time Cravings

Options
How do you kick the night time cravings? I have a tendency to have my heaviest meals at nights.

Replies

• marieisthecool
    marieisthecool Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't keep snacks in the apartment and try to make a plate and put everything else away so I'm not tempted to get more
  • Sunshinema
    Options
    I started eating a bigger breakfast then a little smaller lunch and then dinner was small as well. And i drink plenty of water which seems to help but not always. I had to train myself to eat larger earlier and it was hard.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    How do you kick the night time cravings? I have a tendency to have my heaviest meals at nights.

have healthy snacks prepared! that was my problem... grabbing a bag of chips seemed sooo much easier than getting up and cutting an apple, washing the knife, washing the plate, etc.. but when its already there, cut up, in baggies, all nice n cold for you why not???
  • ksumm21
    ksumm21 Posts: 15
    Options
    This might sound silly, but if I've already had dinner and I start getting cravings again I usually drink a bottle of water and then brush my teeth. Drinking the water makes me feel full and I personally can't stand eating right after I've brushed my teeth haha. :-)
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    My bad snacking comes just before bed - I'm on medication I'm supposed to take 30 minutes before bed, and I can't take meds without eating a cracker or something to wash it down - otherwise it feels like the pill is stuck in my throat!!
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I read in a health magazine last week that if you dont eat enough during the day, you get the night time nibbles. I also think its boredom. Try and do something like have a bath, paint your nails so you cant dip your fingers into a packet.
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options
    I make a cup of hot apple cider... it calms the sugar craving beast in me
  • kendallan
    kendallan Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i would havesome coffee . decafe obviously. or whenever i get snacky i trhink about how guiltly i would feel in the morning. or ii just go tstraight to bed when i am feeling like cheating.
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I started eating a bigger breakfast then a little smaller lunch and then dinner was small as well. And i drink plenty of water which seems to help but not always. I had to train myself to eat larger earlier and it was hard.

same for me....very hard to eat alot in the am and lighter for lunch and dinner when your whole life has prolly been NO breakfast, whatever for lunch and then a huge supper!
    But, hey....we are trainable and flexible. Just takes time!
  • thecanface
    Options
    This might sound silly, but if I've already had dinner and I start getting cravings again I usually drink a bottle of water and then brush my teeth. Drinking the water makes me feel full and I personally can't stand eating right after I've brushed my teeth haha. :-)

i agree!! toothpaste flavor mixed with anything is eww!!
  • thecanface
    Options

i agree!! toothpaste flavor mixed with anything is eww!!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm all for getting ready for bed, brushing my teeth, and then if I feel the urge to splurge, I make hot spicy tea. It really helps. That, and just the determination that my eating day is "over." Finishing logging on MFP really helps, too.
  • frannyannemum
    Options
    We always have a late dinner, about now (8.00 in the evening). I have a toddler and a baby and hubby doesn't normally get back from work until about 7.00pm (just before the little ones bed time). By the time I have put the two of them to bed it is late, so have no choice but to eat late!
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've gotten some gum to help me! I find that my nighttime nibbles come from the desire for taste and the action of chewing, so the gum helps. I got Extra Dessert Delights gum in different dessert flavors to help me with my sweet tooth. They taste soooo amazing that they actually help, and only 5 calories. Then I try to do something to keep me busy and my mind off of the snacking. I like to craft because it keeps my mind and hands busy! :)
  • nbailey2
    nbailey2 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks guys! You gave me some great pointers. I am going to apply them this evening :). This will not be easy...