Lost weight? Make your clothes smaller.

Macacadopai
Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm all for buying new clothes to go with that new figure u've worked so hard for.
But I also have many pretty tops and jeans that I don't want to throw away, only problem is they sort of hang on me now that I've lost weight. This doesn't work on every type of clothing but I tried it on a summer dress I bought last year and it worked just fine.
If u haven't already tried, wash them in warm water. Yeah, I know. pretty obvious.
But if they aren't quite small enough, try this:

-Take your clothes, put them in the sink (anything that can hold water)
-Boil water enough to cover your clothes.
-Once the water has cooled off, drain the clothes out
-Throw them in the washing machine. Wash in the hottest water u can.
-Pop them in the dryer (hottest setting possible)

My dress shrank about 3 sizes :)
Just something to try before u throw/give ur stuff away.

Replies

• yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    TY
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,459 Member
    bumping to try later, thanks.
  • tscott10
    tscott10 Posts: 53 Member
    Great Idea! I am going to try this! Thanks
  • hjsyndrome
    hjsyndrome Posts: 215
    I am gonna try this technique on myself to lose some more of that belly. I wonder how hot I can stand the water? j/k of course, but that is a def good idea for the cloths.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    I'm all for buying new clothes to go with that new figure u've worked so hard for.
    But I also have many pretty tops and jeans that I don't want to throw away, only problem is they sort of hang on me now that I've lost weight. This doesn't work on every type of clothing but I tried it on a summer dress I bought last year and it worked just fine.
    If u haven't already tried, wash them in warm water. Yeah, I know. pretty obvious.
    But if they aren't quite small enough, try this:

-Take your clothes, put them in the sink (anything that can hold water)
    -Boil water enough to cover your clothes.
    -Once the water has cooled off, drain the clothes out
    -Throw them in the washing machine. Wash in the hottest water u can.
    -Pop them in the dryer (hottest setting possible)

My dress shrank about 3 sizes :)
    Just something to try before u throw/give ur stuff away.

Won't that make the colors fade? Sounds good but I am afraid of the fading and may opt for the tailors. I love my clothes.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,412 Member
    Many things like slacks, shirts and some jackets can be taken in quite easily on any sewing machine (seams in the sides, under the arms etc.) A person with basic sewing skills can get them a couple sizes smaller. Oh wait, maybe they don't teach sewing in school anymore :wink:
  • Georgie_P
    Georgie_P Posts: 62
    wearing your old fat clothes is not good for your pysche!

If you cant afford a BUNCH of new clothes get a few special items .. I also found through this journey that OLD NAY's CLEARANCE section is WODNEFUL!!!

i've redone my wardrobe 3 times now and I dont think i've spent more than $150 each time
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Hey it's just a tip...
  • kbray003
    kbray003 Posts: 52
    WOW Great idea and thank you so much for sharing. I was trying to figure out how to "take in" my clothes by restitching the seams but I will try this first because it is much less labor intensive.
  • cjbnc
    cjbnc Posts: 32
    Given the choice between throwing it out because you can't wear it, and trying to shrink it to wear a bit longer... what have you got to lose? If the hot water ruins it, you we're going to have to throw it away anyhow.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    If it's something you can't shrink, and you can't sew, you can also easily alter some items yourself. Gather some fabric in the middle of the front of a top (or gather the back, depending on what you like better) and fasten with a cute brooch. They make shirt clips that have a decorative clip on either end of a cute rope or ribbon. I've also heard about things for your pants to help cinch the waist -- "Magic Button" or something like that.
This discussion has been closed.