Exercising- when to take a break

Options
thecanface
thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
I have a friend who just started working out with me recently, yesterday we did an intense bootcamp class and as expected she's really sore.. well today we have a kickbox class to go to.. would you recommend going to the kickbox class to get her acustomed to working out and feeling sore (soreness to go away) or should we just do some cardio and light weights so she can go at her own pace. For me i HAD TO keep going to the intense classes in order for my body to stop feeling like it was the first time i ever worked out, if i took a break i'd feel terrible all over again with the soreness and tired during the class, so going day after day helped me build my endurance... is that okay? what should we do??

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,240 Member
    Options
    If your friend is really sore, a light workout today and an intense one tomorrow would be the best approach. That is what many top level athletes do. A very intense workout on one day, followed by a much less intense one the next day to aid recovery. Then intense the next day.

You will not start hurting from an intense workout if you go less intense the next day. The big soreness comes from being out of shape, and that does not happen in a day.
  • Yemaya1129
    Options
    I think this depends on the ouch. Is it a general getting used to rigorous workout ouch, or does it feel like a maybe I injured myself ouch? If it's the later, then it might be a good idea to go easier on herself for today. Challenging oneself is great, but pushing your body to the point where you're hurting yourself...not so much!
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    If she just started I would allow her the break. If she gets too sore it could set her back a few days.
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I personally think a day of rest in between workouts is good IF you are working the same muscle groups. I personally do cardio mon, wed, fri and strength training tues, thrus. Based on the classed I would say it's a personal call; if you feel you can keep up go ahead and try otherwise take it easy you don't any injuries occuring.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Yah, do alight cardio to loosen up, stretch gently too. You don't want to go into anything too intense or you'll set yourself up for injury...then you'll miss a lot of workouts!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Generally, I would continue doing the exercises. But that's because I'm partial to exerting myself beyond limitations. Soreness will go away over time as the body gets used to the routines. It's totally up to you guys, but personally, I would recommend for her to go, but to make sure she warms up and stretches well. Usually that will alleviate most of the general soreness.
  • Cposeley28
    Options
    When I first started going to my strength training classes and body step classes (three of each class every week) I was EXTREMLEY sore all the time. I hardly ever get sore now, and have started upping my weights and putting another riser under my step so I can go more intense. It takes some getting used too, but as long as she isn't in pain like to the point of not being able to move or anything without it throbbing, I would say it would be okay. If it's really bad soreness I would take it easy and give her muscles a day to recover! Good Luck!!
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Thanks peeps! i'm sure she'll be glad to hear this :D me on the other hand.... i'm a kickbox junkie lol