Detoxing

Options
Has anyone done this? Any advice on how to or products to use?

Replies

• lovingbears2
    lovingbears2 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Contrary to VERY popular opinion, detoxing is not necessary for the human body. I know a WHOLE LOT of people think otherwise, but, seriously, I am in the medical profession, and it is NOT necessary, especially the (for some reason) EVER popular colon cleansing.
    The human colon is self cleaning, as is the liver. That is their functions. If you would like a quote from another person from the medical profession, I am quoting Dr Donahue, who is a Syndicated physician throughout the USA. In his answer to a question about someone's friend attempting to "detoxify her body esp her colon -as (she believes) to get rid of where 90 percent of illnesses begin" , his answer is " The body doesn't need detoxification. Fasting doesn't detoxify. What are the toxins she thinks she has? The colon isn't the source of 90 percent of illnesses. All of this is foolishness"

If you want to get sugars, simple carbs, etc, "cleaned out" of your body, seriously, just STOP eating them. It takes about 3 days to get past the 'cravings', and then generally most people will not be craving it as much. Also, being sure to drink plenty of water/fluids, non-carbonated, not sugar-laden will help as well.

Sorry to all those people that religiously believe this is something they need to do.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Contrary to VERY popular opinion, detoxing is not necessary for the human body. I know a WHOLE LOT of people think otherwise, but, seriously, I am in the medical profession, and it is NOT necessary, especially the (for some reason) EVER popular colon cleansing.
    The human colon is self cleaning, as is the liver. That is their functions. If you would like a quote from another person from the medical profession, I am quoting Dr Donahue, who is a Syndicated physician throughout the USA. In his answer to a question about someone's friend attempting to "detoxify her body esp her colon -as (she believes) to get rid of where 90 percent of illnesses begin" , his answer is " The body doesn't need detoxification. Fasting doesn't detoxify. What are the toxins she thinks she has? The colon isn't the source of 90 percent of illnesses. All of this is foolishness"

If you want to get sugars, simple carbs, etc, "cleaned out" of your body, seriously, just STOP eating them. It takes about 3 days to get past the 'cravings', and then generally most people will not be craving it as much. Also, being sure to drink plenty of water/fluids, non-carbonated, not sugar-laden will help as well.

Sorry to all those people that religiously believe this is something they need to do.

couldn't have said it better myself!! :flowerforyou:
  • mkcalvert
    mkcalvert Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll, I just saw on a website something about it and figured I'd ask around here..
  • jumpnj
    jumpnj Posts: 4
    Options
    Always thought it was odd that they say that to detox you have to take something which more than likely is a chemical that isn't good for your body.

I honestly feel that our bodies would love us more if we cut the processed crap out of our diets. I know its easier said than done but I also think its so worth it. I'm not talking eating all veggies but having that with meats and all the other things our ancestors ate before boxed Mac & Cheese and products of its type.
  • lovingbears2
    Options
    Always thought it was odd that they say that to detox you have to take something which more than likely is a chemical that isn't good for your body.

I honestly feel that our bodies would love us more if we cut the processed crap out of our diets. I know its easier said than done but I also think its so worth it. I'm not talking eating all veggies but having that with meats and all the other things our ancestors ate before boxed Mac & Cheese and products of its type.
    AMEN!!:wink:
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I agree with lovingbears, to a degree. You don't need to take some weird chemical or go on a long fast to detox.

I think detoxification of the human body is important, but I think of it in terms similar to what jumpnj was saying. Eat fresh foods, better quality foods. I'm not saying you have to go out and start shopping organically (because, depending on where you live and your ease of getting to a farmer's market, blah blah blah, but at the regular store I don't believe there to be much, if any, difference ... I understand there's studies backing that idea, too), but rather get hold of fresh foods. Don't eat anything in a can. Or a box.

That's my motto. When I consume something that has aspartame or high fructose corn syrup in it, I swear I can feel it the next day. But just don't consume those things, drink more water and eat fresh foods.
  • lovingbears2
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY, Halobender! The best way to shop, and eat, is to stay with the perimeter of the grocery store! All the fresh foods are located there, because of the refrigeration units, etc. The inside aisles are all the processed foods, and therefore, boxed, or canned, higher sodium, and where trans-fatty acids are often used as preservatives, (hydrogenated, partially hydrogenated), etc..

If you can stick with the fresh, outer aisles, you will be doing your body a GREAT favor!!! Sure, some of the things from the inner aisles, once in a while, but, generally, sticking with fresh, lean meats (1/4 of plate), 1/2 of plate with non-starchy fresh veggies prepared in SO many delicious ways, and 1/4 of plate can be the complex carbs, i.e. brown rice vs white rice, whole grains, etc. It meets the guidelines for the food guide pyramid, for Weight Watchers, for American Heart Association, For American Diabetic Association, etc,etc for really ANY TRULY HEALTHY "diet," or actually, healthy way of living! You feel better because you are not putting "junk" into your body! Like the old adage "you are what you eat!"