Hi... Just being friendly...

Options
I stepped on a scale outside of Publics on Tuesday and my diet basically started right there on the spot.

I don't own a scale and have a very unhealthy lifestyle. But since I'm about 6ft tall I can kinda get away with carrying a little more weight than I should. I do miss being skinny tho and haven't really decided on my weight loss goals.

I was as of Tuesday 207lbs... and I put my goal as 180 because I felt that was realistic. But I really would like to get down to 160-170 ideally. Although I haven't been 160 since high school and back then everyone told me I was too skinny.
This is the first time in my life I've counted calories and I feel like I'm getting an education. I always thought hummus was bad for me.. turns out it's the crackers I use to shovel it in that's really bad for me. LOL

I think my biggest problem isn't really the food.... although I won't deny my sweet tooth has some serious problems with my diet. It really is being motivated to exercise. I am a waitress and after working a 6 hour day on my feet the last thing I want to do is exercise. I have been enjoying Just Dance 2 and I am thinking of buying the PS3 move game with Mel B because I've heard some people really like it. I go for walks everyday whether I work or not and I was debating using a pedometer at work and changing my settings to "sedentary lifestyle" and counting work as exercise... Do you think that would be cheating?
Today I worked 2 hours of over my regular schedule and I counted that... I just kinda feel guilty. But in those 2 hours I walked 3.2 miles and adding those 360 calories means I can have a few drinks for St Patty's day.

I really like the MyFitnessPal app on my droid tho...
I won't eat anything until I put it in my phone... well except for that first cup of coffee... but I won't ever forget I've had that first cup of coffee because I wouldn't be walking around without it. LOL

The CardioTrainer app I got for my walks works really well. I took a path I knew and the GPS/pedometer measured it exact, so I am using it for exact calories burned. I researched JustDance2 and the consensus seems to be that 4.2 sweat points equals 1 calorie. Which isn't too bad...

I am gonna get a scale tomorrow... I was thinking of hiding it for the first few weeks so I don't get discouraged. lol
Are there any other tips anyone can offer someone who hates exercise?
I had a friend at work suggest I wear ankle weights to work... I just see that negatively impacting my tips more than helping my weight loss. LOL And besides, she is the size of a toothpick, she has no idea what really works for people losing weight.

Thanks for any advice, tips and suggestions.
It's gonna be a struggle, but I am confident I can do it!

Replies

• vwfrog
    vwfrog Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    drink water! :)

It looks like you've done your research!

While at work, I like to do random 'leg lifts' and such from time to time, or stretches. I don't count it into my daily exercise, but hey, every little bit counts!

More than anything, I think that actually tracking one's exercise and food intake is how folks on myfitnesspal lose weight. Also, the site makes you accountable to yourself, and to others!

hang in there, and i hope to see many more happy posts from you!

~vw
  • JJ48Fan
    JJ48Fan Posts: 50
    Options
    Find an exercise that you really enjoy and possibly hate at the same time. I started doing Cardio Kickboxing and I hate going because I know it's going to kill me but when I walk out those doors I love it!
  • JPRobocker
    JPRobocker Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I hated jogging when I first started. I've always been more of a weight lifter. I'm built a good 15 lbs heavier than most girls that are 5'6" just from muscle. I'm not making that up as an excuse for being healthier, my doctor actually told me that when I told him I was trying to lose some weight. I won't ever weight 110 and probably not 120 either, but I've accepted that. I had shoulder surgery a while back which put me out of weight lifting. I had to start doing cardio (which I hated). But the more I did it, the further I could go. Even when I did sports back in high school, I would always get winded and not want to run a whole mile. Now I'm up to 4, sometimes 5 miles when I go out. I recommend trying it, even if you don't want to do it, and see if it grows on you. Good work out music is a must. Good luck, you'll do great!

On a side note, waitressing is great exercise. I gained most of my extra weight when I moved from food services to a desk job. Nothing else changed in my life.