Eating workout calories...Can I eat anything?

Options
I have read about eating workout calories in addition to allotted calories. However I am confused about what kind of calories to eat? Do my extra workout calories entitle me to a scoop of ice cream or a piece of cheese cake as long as I don't go over total calories?

Replies

• strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Eating your exercise calories just means you have more room to eat during the day. It isn't a freebie to eat anything but just to eat in general. Obviously you can use it for whatever you want as there isn't a set "you have to eat this" but as always, make smart choices.
  • arexa
    arexa Posts: 2
    Options
    I usually use those to eat a bit of peanut butter before and after working out. It's great energy booster and fills you up without eating a lot.
  • vaavamom1
    vaavamom1 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i try to eat peanut butter or something healthy or a fruit.....
  • pwprice59
    pwprice59 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I usually run out of calories and have to plan on my exercise to get me dinner, and I kind of like that, it makes me work for my last meal of the day.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Technically, yes you can eat whatever you want as long as you are within calories.

Practically, it still makes sense to limit sugars and simple carbs if your goal is sustained weight loss and better health.
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest fruit, or cottage cheese, or a protein bar or protein shake...something like that.
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    I have found that if I use extra calories for the "wrong" stuff, my weight actually goes up. :( I did it a few weeks ago with a huge helping of meatloaf for dinner which had TONS of sodium. The sodium made me swell up and feel awful even the next morning. Not to mention my weight jumped up due to the water retention. So I learned the hard way to try not to overdo it on my "bonus" calories. Like some of the others have said, I like to use mine on peanut butter with an apple, or peanut butter spread on some whole wheat bread with some sugar-free honey on top. Mmmmm!

Good luck to you! :)
  • michellehorvath
    michellehorvath Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I tend to use a portion of my exercise calories on treats!! If I never have the "yummy" stuff then whats the point? I don't use all of the exercise calories for junk but I do like to think I have "earned" myself a chocolate chip cookie or two now and then!
  • zosobaby
    zosobaby Posts: 13
    Options
    i'm trying not to eat my calories i burned that day. most days i go over my allocated calorie intake, but as i excercise 6 days a week, i've only went over once or twice.
    burned 1350 calories today, feel like i could sleep for a week! x