My fav vegetarian dish yet: morrocan-spiced chickpeas

Options
bossmodehan
bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
I had this from dinner tonight courtesy of one of my student cookbooks, thoroughly enjoyed it and thought I'd share. :smile:

About 10 sprays of FryLight (though the recipes says 2 tbs oil)
1 medium onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 heaped tsp of morrocan spice mix (I made my own out of 1 tbs each of dried corriander and ground cumin, half tbs ground turmeric, half tsp hot chilli powder)
Half 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (though I rehydrated a handful of dried chickpeas)
Half 400g can chopped tomatoes
Half small cabbage (or a couple of generous handfuls of veg - the recipe suggested spinach)

Roughly chop onion and soften in a heated and sprayed saucepan.
When soft, add finely chopped garlic and spices and fry for a few seconds.
Add chopped tomatoes and mix in well.
When mixture is bubbling, add the chickpeas and cover leaving to cook for about 10 mins
Add finely chopped cabbage (or spinach, kale - whichever you like!), cover and cook for another 5 mins.

The recipe said that this was 1-2 servings....my effort made 2 VERY generous portions, and will have the remaining portion cold tomorrow as recommended by the recipe. They also recommend adding yoghurt, having in a pitta, with naan etc.

The nutritional value using my ingredients was this for the whole pan of food:
486 cals, 80 carbs, 8 fat, 26 protein

Replies

• catmandoodle
    Options
    Sounds yummy but being a type 2 diabetic it is way to may carbs for me for one serving. What was the serving size.
  • edyta70
    edyta70 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Mmm sounds good! Thanks for sharing
  • catmandoodle
    Options
    I apologize for my post. I just reread your recipe and the carb count was for the whole pan. I think I may make this recipe. Thanks for posting it.
  • shelli1982
    shelli1982 Posts: 133
    Options
    yum that looks good, thanks for sharing! I might try it with lentils too.. mmmm
  • sesamebutterfly
    sesamebutterfly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This does sound yummy! Thanks for sharing! :)
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Yum - sounds delicious! I'm always looking for new things to do with chickpeas - amazing, I love them now but wouldn't eat them for a million dollars when I was younger...
  • Hedone
    Hedone Posts: 92
    Options
    MMMM that sounds really good, thanks for sharing!
  • sedric
    sedric Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump