Losing weight way too fast? A pound a day or more?

DatEpicChick
DatEpicChick Posts: 358 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
okay, so i am a new mom, my baby is 11 weeks old, and when i got pregnant i weight 117, i had complications and when i went into labor i weight 199, and during my 12 day hospital stay i had 3 surgeries and swelled so much i weight over 250 pounds.

i am now 150 pounds, and i weight myself 3 times a day, morning, afternoon and night.

i have been keeping really close track for about 3 weeks now, and 3 weeks ago i was 169...

i have been exercising like crazy, especially if i see the scale goes up a pound (even though i know its just water weight or something) it motivates me to work out even harder...

but i've noticed i have been losing more than 1 pound every day, and sometimes 2 or 3 pounds...

i havent been eating back my calories when i workout, and sometimes my Net Calories are in the negative... or right now, they are 63 net calories all day, when i've actually eaten 781 worked out 718... and i changed my preferences to only eat 1200 calories a day, when the computer arranged it at about 2300 initially...

i dont want to eat the exercise calories back, and i've been eating healthy and sometimes i will give myself one of the weight watchers treats, or a diet cherry pepsi or a diet cherry vanilla dr. pepper... but even though thats soda, it has no caloies...

i already eat a lot, and had to FORCE myself to eat all my lunch, but does anyone have any thoughts?

i mean i'm not complaining! i love the fact that the weight is coming off so fast, but i dont want to ruin my body on the inside in the process

Replies

• Swilson87
    Swilson87 Posts: 139
    What you're taking in is just not nearly enough to maintain your weight. Also your weight goes up and down during the day. If you weigh in the afternoon and see an increase, and decide to work that off, that's were the rapid weight loss is coming from. Afternoon evening you will weigh 2-3 lbs heavier. Weigh yourself first thing in the morning after a bathroom visit, with as little as possible on for an accurate number. You're right to be cautious, but I think you're ok.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    I think generally it may be too fast. But everyone is different. You were so small before, and since it was pregnancy related, it may be part of the reason for it coming off so fast.

I myself don't want to lose more than 2 pounds a week. My main reason is because at 190, if I lost it too fast, I will have excess skin when I am done. Gotta have time for the skin to slowly bounce back.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    you need to eat more. Your body has been through a ton of stress in recent months and it needs resources to heal from the inside out. The weights you mentioned, are they all the same time of day? Are you breast feeding? You are likely burning more calories then you account for and while it is great to see the weight coming off you should likely talk to your doctor. Significant changes in daily weight like yours could signal a thyroid imbalance or other complications.
  • DatEpicChick
    i cant breastfeed because of the trauma of the surgeries, it stopped the milk from coming in, and yes i always weigh at the same time, i know i'm not eating enough, i just cant fathom eating another 800 calories today...
  • lfholland
    lfholland Posts: 37 Member
    I'm far from an expert, but negative net calories doesn't sound healthy to me.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    You definitely need to eat more. Try higher-calorie snacks with healthy fats like peanut butter and almonds, drink milk... anything to get some more calories in. You're taking care of the little one, you need to watch out for your health. You should never ever have negative net calories. Please find a way to get more calories and nutrients into your body. If you don't, the energy will come from somewhere, and that will mean your body will take nutrients from your organs and your bones, leaving you unhealthy and on a dangerous path.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Try more calorie dense foods,um if you absolutly can not eat more mabey exercise less
  • DatEpicChick
    well the ridiculous thing about all of this is that when i started this website on feb. 27, i honest to god thought you were SUPPOSED to have NEGATIVE net calories, and i thought this for quite a while, and got so mad at myself for not being in the negative... then i read a post and realized its supposed to match or be close to your goal calories... but i think i got to used to eating so little, and exercising so much, i cant convince myself to break the habit...

btw... does anyone know how long it takes your stomach to shrink??? like when you dont eat alot, and then try to eat alot... like people who are held hostage? they have to go to a special camp to slowly learn to eat little by little to stretch their stomach or they will 'eat themselves to death?"
  • You could try a high calorie smoothie. Drinking calories is much easier than eating them. Loosing too much weight too quickly can cause loose skin and can make it harder to maintain long term. You are also in danger of being malnourished and that is definitely not healthy.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    i cant breastfeed because of the trauma of the surgeries, it stopped the milk from coming in, and yes i always weigh at the same time, i know i'm not eating enough, i just cant fathom eating another 800 calories today...

So you know you're not eating enough. The real question is what to do to get to a healthier place. You *have* to start changing your behavior. Quit weighing so often - once a week is plenty. It will be tough to up your calories dramatically, so start by aiming for 1000 or 1100 a day - split it up throughout the day and eat at least 3 full meals, and a few snacks. It's not as hard when you're only eating 200-400 calories at a time. After a week or two at that calorie level, go up some more. Work on that, then go up more - you get the idea. Incorporate plenty of healthy, calorie-rich foods. You NEED healthy fats, carbs and protein. Think eggs for breakfast, avacado with salads, beans are healthy protein/carbs, nuts as a snack, PB and veggies for a snack, greek yogurt, etc. Obviously your specific dietary needs may vary - but the general idea is to include healthy foods from all 3 categories every day.

I'd also recommend considering seeing a counselor who specializes in food/nutrition-related issues. It can be EXTREMELY helpful to have someone to work with you in addressing these problems, especially someone who won't judge you and who is outside of your normal life (a neutral party). Since you have a little one at home, you simply can't afford to mistreat your body by intaking so few net calories.
  • DatEpicChick
    okay... one question?

if i start eating more than i am now, but less than what my calorie intake is supposed to be daily, will i gain weight?
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    you are losing a lot of post-surgery fluid and post-partum weight... so a lb a day isnt ODD under YOUR circumstances, however I agree with others, your body needs more calories & nutrients to heal.... if you cant eat more, try drinking more calories... apple cider, fresh squeezed OJ..a fruit smoothie.....nothing from concentrate or artificial... 2 large glasses a day will add 300 calories
  • i doubt that you will gain...it will just slow the loss
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    okay... one question?

if i start eating more than i am now, but less than what my calorie intake is supposed to be daily, will i gain weight?

If you do, it would likely be a slight gain of a pound or two until your body adjusts its metabolism -- but I doubt it. If you did gain at all, it would come off quickly. Upping your intake the way you're describing would just slow your loss. And that is a GOOD thing.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    NO.

If your goal is 125 lbs. NET 1250 calories each day.

It's that simple. Don't complicate it and don't make excuses. You can easily NET 1250 cals/day.

Good luck from here on out.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    okay... one question?

None of us can really definitively answer that question. Some people find that if they've been eating an unhealthy (low) number of calories for an extended time, then when they increase their consumption, they do gain some weight - but it's temporary. Your body has to readjust and recognize that it's no longer at risk for starvation. Once it adjusts, you'll start losing weight again.
    This post addresses this situation: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    You need to eat at least 1200 calories a day. I checked your food diary and for 4 or 5+ days and you are eating 800 cals a day which is way lower than what you're supposed to be doing at mfp. Only 1 of those days did you even hit 1100 cals. Again, you need to eat more, eat cleaner, and incorporate better food choices.
  • Just read an awesome forum post explaining the whole debate on eating the calories we burn from exercise. So now I know that I need to regularly stay within no more than 500 calories over or 1000 calories under my goal including the calories earned from exercise. Check it out here... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • Flawlessk
    Flawlessk Posts: 68
    Congrats on your new baby and i hope you're feeling better after all you've been through.

My advice would be to check with your doctor. They usually have all the info you're after and should be able to tell you what is and isn't healthy for you. Particularly as a new mother and after the surgeries you have had.

Good luck x
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    you need to eat more. Your body has been through a ton of stress in recent months and it needs resources to heal from the inside out. The weights you mentioned, are they all the same time of day? Are you breast feeding? You are likely burning more calories then you account for and while it is great to see the weight coming off you should likely talk to your doctor. Significant changes in daily weight like yours could signal a thyroid imbalance or other complications.

I agree...
    i know i'm not eating enough, i just cant fathom eating another 800 calories today...

Try adding cheese and crackers, peanut butter & apples, protein shakes or a couple handfuls of nuts each day...that should help. Eat 5 or 6 smaller, high-calorie, high-quality meals per day instead of 3 larger meals.
This discussion has been closed.