Are my hopes too high?

Options
I want to lose 42 lbs (I know why such a weird number.), by mid June. I walk every day for 30 minutes and every other day I'll walk in the morning for 30 and then in the afternoon I'll walk again for 20 minutes (I hope to start jogging 2 miles soon but my knee is just not ready for that yet).I have the shake weight but have yet to use it, and I also plan to start some ab exercises. I eat fiber bars and yogurt, and a cheese stick for breakfast, drink a liter of water everyday, and then pretty much eat random foods for dinner all the while staying within the calories the site set for me. I realize I'm missing lunch in there, I take adderall and it's hard to eat alot when it curves your appetite. The reason I'm asking if my hopes are too high is I read somewhere that my height will effect my weight lose, and I'm not sure if it's true or not but it is really discouraging to hear. I don't want to be short and fat...I want to be short and average. Now to make a long story short, the reason I want lose this weight by June is I have never worn a dress before and my boyfriend has invited me to Las Vegas with him to the Marine Ball. I'd really like to go with him but I do not feel comfortable in my own skin and I would feel even more uncomfortable in a dress. Any tips, hints, words of wisdom, anything really would help. I've been stuck in this body for too long and its time for a change.

-Rachel-

Replies

• larisadixon
    larisadixon Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    the only thing i can see is you need to up your cardio, only saying that becasue your goal of 42lbs loss by June, will be determinrd by yout calories in vs calories burned! You walk all the time, it is not your maximum cardio, so if i were you i would change your cardio or start running. good luck!
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Have you lost some of the 42 already? It took me 10 weeks to lose 36 pounds. I do workout as much as I can (6 days a week for at least an hour a day of cardio) and eat really strict Monday-Friday. I have not been counting calories on weekends...You have 13 weeks it looks like...with a LOT of sweat and hard work you could bust it out, but know that you would have to up your workouts a lot probably.
  • STEGosaurus145
    Options
    I have to walk a few more weeks on it to strengthen it or risk blowing my knee. Should I walk longer, or faster? Like speed walk?
  • STEGosaurus145
    Options
    I just started working out this Tuesday I should've mentioned that.
  • ninyagwa
    ninyagwa Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Well I just skimmed, but I would suggest drinking at least 2 liters of water a day. It seems like you're on the right track with your exercise, and that you know your own limits.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a gym? If so you could try the elliptical machine. It is very low impact and you can get some great burns while improving your cardio.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    try walking a little further and faster alternate between distance and speed to allow your body to adapt to the increased work load .
    that has so far worked for me, I can now walk 9 miles in a single session with out any strains or joint problems.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Definitely walk faster. Also, if you have the money, invest in either a weighted vest or a neoprene half body suit. The added weight can help up the intensity of walking just by adding more weight. The more you weigh, the more you burn. The neoprene suit can help shed excess water weight while doing any sort of cardio. I've lost about 4 pounds of water weight in one 45 minute session on my stationary bike. Also, eat as clean as possible, fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean proteins and so on. Make sure you're getting a good amount of water to not only hydrate but also flush your system of toxins as well as excess water weight. Most people can carry a lot of water weight and don't realize if they just consistantly drank a good amount of water that they wouldn't retain as much. In regards to that, also watch your sodium. Make sure you get plenty of fiber as well.
  • STEGosaurus145
    Options
    I can do two liters a day. But I don't have access to a gym. I'm trying to convince my parents to buy a treadmill since I still live at home. Being that I'm 19 and a student and all. I gained most of this weight because I couldn't get out during the Iowa winter. Too cold.
  • larisadixon
    larisadixon Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    speed walk! you need to get your heart rate up!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I went to your page and without seeing too much info there I think you might be pushing it. I am not saying to not try, because lets face it; if your goal is to lose 42 lbs and you get half way there you have still lost 21 lbs. That is good.

The reason I am a little skeptical is becuase you are coming off an injury. You need to be real careful not to injure yourself. You didn't say how much weight you need to lose all together and when you get closer to your ideal weight your weight loss will slow down. If you only have 42lbs to lose the last 10 come off the slowest.

I wish you the best of luck and much success.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    you have 12 - 13 weeks between now and mid June - a reasonable expectation is 24 - 26 lbs

Don`t worry about running for now - it is terrible hard on your body - cycling or the eliptical will burn as many calories per hour and you`ll probably be able to spend longer doing either

Try eating 6 small meals per day - don`t skip meals
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    It took me about 12 weeks to lose 28 lbs using only Walking workout dvd's like Walk away the pounds. I did a total of 227 miles of those workouts in those 3 months. Even if you should fall a little short of your goal you will most likely be very pleased with your results.
  • STEGosaurus145
    Options
    I can go out this weekend and buy some weights I just got paid, and I can speed walk that'll help with my knee. I should start trying I'm pretty much nursing it by now, and I'll start going farther next week. Would 2 miles be pushing myself too much to start with?
  • veniceit
    veniceit Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you get a heartrate monitor, then you can see how your doing as you walk. I went on a walk to day with the dog, and baby in a stroller and kept it at about 145 most of the way, with a few jogging periods added as well.

Ven
  • IrishChick71
    IrishChick71 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't think your goals are too high but try to make mini goals for your self first like for instance 10 lbs gone by mid April and so on...it makes the total goal less intimidating that way. :happy:

If you are dedicated to exercising at least 4 times a week, logging your food and staying within your calorie range, You will lose the weight. But you have to WANT it and want it daily. This site is great for encouragement and support. It's what keeps me chugging along most days.

Don't get me wrong everyone stumbles along the way and has a bad day, just don't make it two bad days then a bad week then quit because you feel like you blew it anyway. Just stay strong and as dedicted as you can, admit your human when you don't do things perfect but keep going and doing what you need to do.

I took a before picture of myself to help keep me motivated. I LOATHE that picture. But I made myself post it under my pictures to remind myself what I don't want to be anymore. I even made it my desktop wallpaper so I see it every time I use my computer. Soon I hope to post better pictures and before you know it, I will look the way I want to look.

I wish you all the best in your journey!
  • 2ndHalf
    2ndHalf Posts: 15
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing as far as excercise is concerned, but REALLY watch what you eat. Limit you carb& sugar intake. I personally think if you're trying to loose MFP allots for a lot of carbs. You can custimize your food diary to fit your goals. In short, diet is at least 70% of the battle. Good luck!
  • STEGosaurus145
    Options
    I never thought of mini goals. And I may post a picture of myself on here and so I can look at it and see why I'm doing this...I don't have any full body pics on my FB because I'm afraid of what people would think. Even my friends who know what I look like..I just don't want them to think wow why is she posting that? And when I bring up dieting to them they all say I don't need to lose any weight but they don't know what it's like to feel like me so...idk.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do a lot pf walking, ankle weights would help you burn more calories, as long as they don't put a strain on your injury.
  • STEGosaurus145
    Options
    I think I should be fine as long as I wear my knee brace like I'm supposed to.