What do I eat before a run if I'm hypoglycemic?

Options
sam363
sam363 Posts: 204 Member
I have been averaging three mile runs but when I hit the 2 mile mark my energy level and blood sugar drops. I've been using sport jelly beans and other sports energy chews but I need help with what I should eat before a run and how close to when I run should I eat? Please Help - I want to run a half marathon this summer but I'm afraid my blood sugar will be too low.

Replies

• lisapickering
    Options
    I eat an english muffin with peanut butter - some carbs and protein. It's good because it's bland enough not to make me feel sick while I'm running. I've run halfs and full marathons. I would pass out if I didn't eat something.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    As I understand it you should stick to things that are relatively low on the glycemic index prior to your run and after you need to re-fuel with things that are higher on the index. Runnersworld.com has some good articles. You may need to play around a bit because what works for one person doesn't work for another. Good luck!
  • teracallaway1
    teracallaway1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and banana sandwhich or just a banana.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I'm hypoglycemic as well and I tend to eat a slice of wholegrain toast with no-added-sugar PB before a run. If I'm still hungry, I have a boiled egg. After a run, though, I have to eat something huge like oatmeal/porridge loaded with just about everything I can find, or muesli, otherwise I am dizzy and sick all day long.
  • aliciads74
    aliciads74 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used to run 3 miles a day. My running coach suggested a hershey bar before a big run. Now that I'm diabetic I don't believe the hershey bar is the way to go. You probably need complex carbs such as whole grain breads and protein such as peanut butter. Complex carbs take longer to break down and the proteins help keep the carbs in your blood stream longer.
  • sam363
    Options
    I eat an english muffin with peanut butter - some carbs and protein. It's good because it's bland enough not to make me feel sick while I'm running. I've run halfs and full marathons. I would pass out if I didn't eat something.

Do you eat this right before you run? When you are running a half do you have anything on the run with you?
  • sam363
    Options
    peanut butter and banana sandwhich or just a banana.

Thanks! I love pb and banana sandwiches!
  • sam363
    Options
    I'm hypoglycemic as well and I tend to eat a slice of wholegrain toast with no-added-sugar PB before a run. If I'm still hungry, I have a boiled egg. After a run, though, I have to eat something huge like oatmeal/porridge loaded with just about everything I can find, or muesli, otherwise I am dizzy and sick all day long.

I will for sure try eating muesli afterward.

How far before your run do you eat? Do you bring anything on your run?
  • lisapickering
    Options
    I usually eat within half an hour of starting the run. During the halfs I drink water and gatorade and I eat gels. Try different things and see what works for you... but make sure you figure it out during your training, don't try anything new during a race. Good Luck!!
  • lisapickering
    Options

Do you eat this right before you run? When you are running a half do you have anything on the run with you?

Sorry I haven't figured the reply thing yet....

I usually eat within half an hour of starting the run. During the halfs I drink water and gatorade and I eat gels. Try different things and see what works for you... but make sure you figure it out during your training, don't try anything new during a race. Good Luck!!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options

I will for sure try eating muesli afterward.

How far before your run do you eat? Do you bring anything on your run?

I eat 15-30 minutes before a run. I probably should wait longer, but I don't want to make myself ill, so I don't. I eat almost immediately after a run. I cool down, stretch, have some water and fix something to eat, something with a lot of carbs. I don't tend to bring anything with me on a run because I only run for an hour at the very most and not usually that long, but I was thinking about starting to carry Nakd bars with me when I am running a little longer. They are full of natural sugars, no added stuff and really tasty so I think they'd help keep me going. Better than carrying a jug of orange juice and a pack of crackers!