too much protein?

Options
Hi, my daily food journal shows that I am under my goal for calories and carbs, but it says I'm over about 40 or more grams of protein each day. Is it really bad to eat too much protein? Will this affect my weight loss? I eat a lot of chicken for dinner, tuna for lunch, and cereal bars for snacks that have a decent amount of protein.

Replies

• jmj3553
    jmj3553 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No not at all!!!! I changed my protein goal because I was sick of it saying I was over when I aim for around 100 grams of protein a day. Protein is very important when it comes to weight loss. It help build lean muscle mass which ups your metabolism and it also keeps you feeling full... I can't list all of the benefits to protein because there are so many. I am currently in a weight loss challenge and my coach gave me the goal of 110 grams of protein which I am slowly working up to. Every single meal and almost every snack I eat has protein in it... so eat away!
  • beautifulnow
    Options
    Too much protein, what's that mean
    It's like too much money, no such thing
    Like a girl too pretty, with too much class
    Bein to luck or far too fast
    No matter what you may have seen
    Ya just can't have too much protein :flowerforyou:
  • lybl11
    lybl11 Posts: 11
    Options
    Ok good! That's what I thought, but then when I saw those red numbers with a minus sign I was so confused. Thanks for the help! South Beach diet protein bars are really good snacks if you have a sweet tooth and have about 8 grams protein. :smile:
  • gretchann917
    Options
    Protein is great for weight loss! Especially if you are exercising. It is harder for your body to digest so it revvs up your metabolism as it does. I asked a personal trainer about this a few days ago because I am also sometimes over. He said it won't hurt as long as I curb my fat/ carb intake a bit. You should read this article... it tells you all about it!

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/protein-weight-loss

Good luck =)
  • jiggle75
    jiggle75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am having a problem with coming up with enough protein and stay within a 1200 calorie range. Any suggestions on what I can add to my eating plan and keep my carbs and calories low. I have a BMI of 38 really need some help with getting rid of body fat.
    Thanks for any and all help
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Try boiled eggs, they're high in protein and relatively low in calories/ fat. Also, turkey meat as opposed to ham. And lean beef cuts instead of ground beef or pork.
  • spencer72
    spencer72 Posts: 18
    Options
    No such thing as too much protein, until you get into the 300G+ range!

As for Jiggle75, check out this link for easy, cheap, and tasty ways to incorporate more protein into your diet.
    http://stronglifts.com/build-muscle-on-a-budget-the-10-cheapest-sources-of-protein/
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I am having a problem with coming up with enough protein and stay within a 1200 calorie range. Any suggestions on what I can add to my eating plan and keep my carbs and calories low. I have a BMI of 38 really need some help with getting rid of body fat.
    Thanks for any and all help

Nuts, eggs, lean meats, and my personal favorite...greek yogurt! Greek yogurt can be flavored a million ways and very high in protein.
  • gretchann917
    Options
    Fish!! low fat- HIGH protein. tuna, mahi mahi, cod, salmon... the list goes on.