Who could help me create an at-home strength training progra

Options
I am 26 and have two degenerated discs in my lower back. I have been under a 15-lb lift restriction for years now. I do stretching and cardio nearly every day.

I would like to get into strength training, but every time I have tried to do it myself either a) I feel like I'm not getting a well-rounded routine or b) I end up hurting myself. I'd like to talk to someone who could help me put together a routine that I could do at home (I don't have any formal equipment, but am willing to invest in small free weights, resistance bands, etc) and that would take into account my back injury and restrictions. Just so I add this before it's suggested: I hate going to the gym and I am definitely too dirt poor for a membership; I would go for one-two visits with a professional, but I don't want to join anything.

Is this a service a fitness trainer would provide? A physical therapist? I'm really not sure where to start and am looking for any suggestions.

Thanks!

Replies

• Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I would contact a fitness trainer and or a physical therapist. They will probably be able to help you better then anyone here. Plus I'd trust their advice more then anyone here. You have to be careful or things could get even worse.
  • caburk02
    caburk02 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I should clarify: I am not looking for help from anyone on the website for creating a program. I am looking for suggestions on what kind of "expert" I need to contact; I have no idea where I should even start.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    PM me. I've been a trainer for 15 years and have 2 herniated discs in my thoracic spine and scoliosis so I know how important modification is for making it safe to lift weights with back issues, plus I'm almost finished with my bachelors in exercise physiology so I can work with people with limitations. I wouldn't recommend a trainer at the gym because most of them don't have experience or education in working with injuries like this. A physical therapist would be good because they are trained in helping people recover from injuries, but most of them need a referral from your doctor to work with you. The good news about that is that insurance will cover the cost. Physical therapists are generally more expensive then personal trainers, BTW, so insurance covering a portion of it is a good thing. ;)
  • caburk02
    Options
    Tonya,

Your warnings about a trainer is exactly why I've been nervous about pursuing this. Thank you, I will send you a PM!
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what kind of doctor to suggest, but as far as strength-training workouts, I really love Jillian Michaels's "Shred it With Weights." It's mostly cardio based-- the only weight you need is one dumbbell or kettle-bell between 3-8 lbs, which should fit in with your weight restriction of 15 lbs. But it's a really great heart-pumping, strength-building workout.
  • caburk02
    Options
    Alazarus,

Is there a lot of jumping in the routine? I tried the Insanity workout, but had to stop because the amount of jumping/up-and-down was putting pressure on back.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    A physical therapist might be the best choice. Remember you don't need to use weights to strength train. You can use your own body weight.
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Alazarus,

Is there a lot of jumping in the routine? I tried the Insanity workout, but had to stop because the amount of jumping/up-and-down was putting pressure on back.

There is some jumping, from a squat position, which could probably be cut out and replaced with just straight squats, and there is a little bit of running in place. But there is a lot of squats! I'm not aware of the extent of your injury, but a full range of motion is pretty much required for this workout (lots of bending), although the weight requirement is light. However, she does have someone doing modified versions of the exercises, which are a little easier.