Unexpected NSV -- Am I alone?

Options
I only recommitted myself to a healthier life about a week ago. But since joining MFP and getting serious, I've already noticed a BIG change.

I. Am. Becoming. Responsible.

It all started with me downloading a task list app to remind (nag!) me to record my food/exercise on the MFP app. Suddenly I find myself doing better in LOTS of areas of my everyday life. I used to be the "ehh, will it really kill me if I don't ___ today?" type. Now I'm getting things done WHEN THEY SHOULD BE DONE, not later.

Some examples include personal hygiene (shaving everyday matters a lot when you're going to the gym regularly), responsiveness (returning phone calls/emails/texts instead of letting them sit until I feel awkward replying), household chores (dishes immediately after meals or while cooking, laundry often as required by my workout clothes, and even flipping my mattress!).

I was extremely proud of myself when I realized today that I've been completing all of the tasks on my new list (and then some) consistently and on-time. I was a little embarrassed to share, but I decided that a) part of my new life is being honest with myself and others (especially when it's tough) and b) maybe someone else out there has noticed the same...or will if they think about it.

So even if your scale isn't ready for a big change, take a look around. Maybe your life is.

Replies

• kristinwalker
    kristinwalker Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yay you! What a wonderful thing. I noticed when I started MFP that things in my life (more slowly) came together as well. I also noticed that I was wayyyy more cautious with what I fed my kids and I noticed things my husband and friends were eating too. (Both good and bad). I really like how it seems that if you put one part of your life together in the right way other parts will follow. Keep it up, so amazing to hear!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    omgods i can SO relate! *L*

it is true... taking control of even one thing (like recording your meals here) DOES lead to taking control in other areas of life as well. Keep up the great work!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Thank you for being open about this. I am embarrassed about the way I take care of myself too. I have been taking more showers, cleaning up after myself (a little) more than I used to, and generally being more awesome. I am so glad to read about your great new life!!
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on any victory you can claim in your life! Organization in your life will help you on your weight loss journey as well and it will give you a sense of satisfaction and serenity when you don't have to sit amidst all those unfinished things everyday.
  • brentrhodes
    brentrhodes Posts: 139
    Options
    Hey. Great post. Congrats in a big way on making a big change in your life. There really is so much more to reinventing than our diets.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    no! i realized this too. i have to make sure i stay up to date on things so i have time to work out and cook!
  • farmerswife87
    Options
    So true! It's a complete lifestyle change when you take control of your weight and fitness! Aaaaaaaand it's awesome!!
  • Journey32
    Options
    SO TRUE!!!
  • bmorebatman
    bmorebatman Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i completely agree! it's a way of practicing mindfulness. we are practicing becoming more aware of what we are doing hour by hour, a day at a time. i've realized i have **choices** now, i'm not being swept along by uncontrollable life. and being aware of one aspect of health trains the brain to be more involved in other respects.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    this absolutely applies to me and my life. as the weeks go on, i notice more and more that things are getting done when they should. for instance, i've already washed all the dishes except for my son's baby food jars, cuz i know that if i don't do them tonight, i'll do them in the morning - instead of working out like i should. and i see things like that in almost every aspect of my life and my day.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Good post. :) I really think that all of that relates to taking care of myself better... and I am trying to do that in many areas, including diet & exercise.

What app are you using?
  • SammieGetsFit
    SammieGetsFit Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I use Astrid for Android. It's super-simple, cute, and provides me the catharsis of crossing things off and watching them disappear (until it's time to do them again). But there are several good (free) ones out there. :)

Also, It's good to know that I'm not just imagining things to make myself feel better while I sit around wondering if it's time for me to work out again yet. Ha.

And a follow-up, if I may:

Does anyone else find that free time seems kinda...boring? It may just be the n00b excitement, but I used to be able to sit and play video games/watch tv/read/surf the net for hours and hours. Now I can lay around for about 30 minutes before I go stir crazy and have to do something...which is how I ended up on an accidental 5-mile walk tonight instead of watching tv with the fam.
  • vitosbud
    vitosbud Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Great post... I can totally relate. More stuff is getting done cuz I jusy plain old have more ENERGY to do stuff. Used to come home from my busy work and flop on the couch cuz that's all I had in me. Not anymore ! I keep waiting for the feeling to wear off but not unlike that little energizer bunny it just keeps going and going :)
  • Labcoathipster
    Options
    Oh my gosh I can completely attest to this. I was the same way, and it's only been about a week or so since I really started to commit to MFP. It's amazing the changes that happen. I'm glad you shared this (even though you were embarrassed) because you make such a good point that so many of us can relate to.

Congrats and good luck on your journey!
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I've noticed this too. My evening plans used to be "finish the dishes, do laundry that can't wait, take a dog walk, and then read/watch tv/fall asleep on the couch." My weekend plans were "catch up on laundry from the past week, buy groceries, knit, watch tv, and read/fall asleep on the couch."

Now I want to DO things, and I have the energy to do things. My plan for spring break? Two a day workouts!! First time in my life I've ever planned ahead to exercise more as a big treat for myself. I love how that feels.
    Does anyone else find that free time seems kinda...boring? It may just be the n00b excitement, but I used to be able to sit and play video games/watch tv/read/surf the net for hours and hours. Now I can lay around for about 30 minutes before I go stir crazy and have to do something...which is how I ended up on an accidental 5-mile walk tonight instead of watching tv with the fam.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You're taking control. There's a big theme in the martial arts that doing seemingly unrelated things bleeds over to all other aspects to your life. Pretty intense stuff.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, yes! I was straightening my hair before work the other morning, and my husband was staring at me. I asked him why he was staring and he says "just wondering who you're getting pretty for." My typical work attire is jeans, t-shirt, and wet hair hair thrown up in a ponytail. It's sad to me that when I try to look decent, it's like something out of the ordinary. Since working out and eating better, I've also wanted to look better in general so I'm trying hard.
  • LemonCitron
    LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It's SO SO SO true!! I never used to like to make dinner, nor did I do it very often. Now ever since I started logging my food I make healthy meals all the time for me and my SO. Also I make my lunch everyday, I eat a good breakfast and I always do the dishes as a cook. I've also saved so much money not eating out at lunch.

I really enjoy logging my calories. I'm a very organized person and this is one more way in my life that I get to be organized. I don't think I can ever go back now. LOVE IT.

I've also worked out pretty much every day since I joined. Otherwise I don't get to eat as much, and I'd rather bust my *kitten* than not be able to eat as much. YAY.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    With joining this website I only found another way to procrastinate as I'd rather be on the boards than working on my class projects.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing. I was just telling my brother that I've suddenly become more of an adult!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!