Calorie count for weight lifting

Options
Hi all..just joined recently..wondering if anyone knows how to calculate calories for weight training/lifting..the app has the excercises listed but does not assign calories like it does when you enter for cardio....anyone?

Replies

• uubulldawg06
    uubulldawg06 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    list it under cardio as strength training.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    go under exercise/my exercise and create a exercise call strength training and log your calories burned during the strength training. If you don't know how many calories your burned I would suggest investing in a heart rate monitor with a chest strap.
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    If you want a more accurate count than what MFP gives you, try Fitclick.com. They take into consideration your weight, weights used, reps and sets. They have hundreds of exercises listed. The best way would be to use a heart rate monitor, but if you don't have one, Fitclick.com will give you a more accurate reading than what you'll get on MFP.
  • rcgrissom
    rcgrissom Posts: 17
    Options
    Here's a site I use for calculating calories burned base on your weight, it does make a difference. :flowerforyou:
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc IT'S FREE, NO SIGN UP!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    go under exercise/my exercise and create a exercise call strength training and log your calories burned during the strength training. If you don't know how many calories your burned I would suggest investing in a heart rate monitor with a chest strap.

I'm not too sure an HRM will help with determining calories burned while weight training. I'll try to find the blog post about it (or the member that posted it could chime in)
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

I'm not too sure an HRM will help with determining calories burned while weight training. I'll try to find the blog post about it (or the member that posted it could chime in)

I elevate my heart rate before I strength train by getting on the treadmill and getting it up to 159 bpm for 5 minutes. Then I keep it elevated in the fat burning zone for about 80% of the time I'm strength training. My downtime between sets is no more than 8 to 10 seconds and sometimes there is no downtime because I will work my abs between sets. So it can determine calories burned based on your heart rate which I want. Anything above that is just a bonus.
  • gmanji
    gmanji Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks guys...this is very helpful. I just joined a few days back and this site is making extra cautious and stingy when it comes to food intake. I am saying no to my favorite foods, just so i can hit my daily goal!