need motivation :(

Options
hey all :)

i've been on MFP since october or so, have lost 22lbs so far, but it's been a slow process and i'm losing motivation. i'm a college student and i've got a lot on my plate right now, but i'm always tired and can't seem to push myself like i did before. i'd really appreciate ANY and all advice you guys could give me. thanks!!!

Replies

• waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You have lost ALOT of weight! Theres no need to feel down. You should feel great at that. You are in college and that is hard enought to eat well so you should feel happy that you are beating those odds. I know sometimes we feel like weight is just staying still but it will come off... it already has!! :-)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    22 pound since October is a great accomplishment.
    You are very young, now is the time to think about long-term eating habits not quick fixes. (I know, I know we all want to feel sexy, but you'll get there and stay there if you do it right)

From my experience STRICK WEIGHT LOSS plans are unmaintainable. I witnessed too many people ratchet themselves up. (lose 20 to gain 30, then lose 30 to gain 40, lose 40 to gain 50, and so on... and that's so hard on your body not to mention your psyche).

Rather than pushing harder, think about lightening up. I found that the stricter I got the more I felt like chucking it all in.
    When I was stressing about my goals, this was helpful for me. It helped keep me on track to know I had a little wiggle room.

It dawned on me that it's not hitting a number exactly, but falling within a range consistently...
    So, I went to the goals section and kept playing with the data I input. to get the following info
    You can figure out yours, but here's the idea...

To lose 1lb/week I get 1240 cal (target)

To lose 1/2lb/week I get 1470 cal

To maintain my GOAL weight I get 1670 cal
    ....unless I consistently go over my target by 400 cal
    I should still lose (maybe a little more slowly, but no reason to throw in the towel).

To maintain my CURRENT weight I get 1720 cal
    ....unless I consistently go over my target goal 500 cal
    I should not gain. So I'm not losing any ground. (I can take a break and then pick-up where I left off)

Even if I am not hitting every goal dead on I'm still doing much than I was before MFP.
    which, for me, is reason enough to stick with it.

Remember, it's not about being perfect it's about doing better.
    No matter where you start from it's all about taking baby steps.
    Later you look back and realize that all those baby steps add up to something substantial.

Also recently read a couple of articles, one said that one factor in successful weight loss is having measurable goals.
    I think this site is great for that. The other said that the slower you lose weight the more likely you are to keep it off.

Good Luck! Keep at it!
    and
    BE KIND TO YOUR SELF
  • briarashley
    Options
    i started studying to be a counsellor three weeks ago and ive had the same problem! especially when it comes to 2-3pm and im studying and want an energy boost. or...ive been at school all day and just want to go home have a bath and go to bed instead of fitting in exercise. its really hard, but you've lost a heap of weight and be proud of that. i take it a day at a time and try and plan my meals.good on you for reaching out for help on here, i didnt when i slipped and it was so hard to get back on the wagon