morbid obesity...

Options
What are some good/safe workouts for someone who has 100+ lbs to lose

Replies

• melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your fitness level. Mine was basically none... so I started out doing walking and some fitness stuff on the Wii. I'm hoping to run/walk (or just run) a 5K sometime this year... but I know there are some out there with more weight to lose than I have left who have been running for a while now.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk in the morning, walk at night, walk. Park waaaaay far away from the door to the store every time you go. Passengers may grumble but its an easy way to get some more walking in. Walk slow or walk fast, but walk. Once you've got that down you can begin to pick up speed. The benefits of walking cannot be overstated in my opinion.
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    as above. depends on you.

I was walking 3+kms a day. now i do 3kms a day on the treadmill. but i try to run in there too. Start off easy with walking and see if anything else appeals to you. - I do strength training once a week with a personal trainer at my gym too.
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    as above. depends on you.

I was walking 3+kms a day. now i do 3kms a day on the treadmill. but i try to run in there too. Start off easy with walking and see if anything else appeals to you. - I do strength training once a week with a personal trainer at my gym too.
  • CodyAnne
    CodyAnne Posts: 20
    Options
    I would *definitely* start with walking! I have quite a bit to lose, too, and when I started walking regularly, coupled with drinking *only* water (and a lot of it) & a couple glasses of skim milk each day, I started feeling better, lost a couple pounds... it's slow going at first, but you have to start somewhere! Also, try to mix it up after you walk regularly for a couple of weeks... get into the routine of walking at least 30 minutes a day, & then maybe add hand weights & do arm extensions while walking, or take mini breaks to stretch & do a couple of jumping jacks. I sometimes (try to) do lunges from lightpole to lightpole... they're miserable, but it helps change things up because while walking is a great place to start it can't be the only thing you do after a while. Your body will get used to it and you'll plateau. Best to you! You can do it!
  • Kelleinna
    Kelleinna Posts: 160
    Options
    Really I don't think you can beat swimming if you're looking for something low impact. But speaking as someone who started out with about 120 lbs. to lose (now only 99), I will tell you that you'd be surprised what you can actually do if you try... try whatever exercise you think will be fun and do as much as you can, and next time you'll be able to do a little more, and then a little more... that's how it goes.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk in the morning, walk at night, walk. Park waaaaay far away from the door to the store every time you go. Passengers may grumble but its an easy way to get some more walking in. Walk slow or walk fast, but walk. Once you've got that down you can begin to pick up speed. The benefits of walking cannot be overstated in my opinion.

agreed. and work in some resistance training when you can, even with super light weights. you'll burn more and more fat as you build muscle. it's a good thing :)
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Well I dont know if everyone will agree with me, but when I started I was extremely out of shape and at 340+ pounds. I started off doing light exercise I just wanted to get my endurance up, I didn't do much weight training. I just think if you push too hard and get alot of muscle soreness it will discourage you from regular exercise. The elliptical is really easy on the knees, I know I had alot of knee pain from extra weight. The treadmill always made my joints hurt. The wii has some really good light exercises, like the biggest loser games. I really enjoy just dance! as you get more endurance and are ready for muscle soreness try to do the 30 day shred its really good at helping tone and teaching good exercises :) Good luck to you!!!
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    When I first started, over 100 pounds ago, all I could manage was some light walking for maybe 15 minutes. I had feet that were so sore all the time, from my weight, and it was pretty hard to make myself accomplish that, plus getting winded easily. I just plugged at it day after day, month after month, and as I "felt" I could walk longer, I would. Slowly but surely my stamina increased and I would walk longer and longer and five months into it, and about 32ish pounds gone, I began to ride a bike. From there stamina just got better and better.
  • XBabigrl72
    Options
    Some light weight work to tone, and walking as you get stronger switch it up. I'm terribly out of shape and am starting off very slow 12 mins on the treadmill twice a day 4 days a week. 3 mins at a comfortable walk and 1 min at a faster walk or slow jog alternate so that you do a 3 min. walk 3times, and 1 min fast walk or slow jog 3 times.
  • Chrissynee
    Chrissynee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I myself use the ellipitical machine . Usually only about 20 minutes a day. I have heard from a doctor that it is better on the knees, legs and back then a treadmill or bicycle. With using this and watching what I eat i went down 20 pounds in 35 days. Hope all goes well for you. Good luck
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Lots of walking but also anything that works up a sweat (like tossing a ball to your kids or even to the dog). I also try to play on the playground with my kid as much as possible. Every little bit helps.
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    When I first started, over 100 pounds ago, all I could manage was some light walking for maybe 15 minutes. I had feet that were so sore all the time, from my weight, and it was pretty hard to make myself accomplish that, plus getting winded easily. I just plugged at it day after day, month after month, and as I "felt" I could walk longer, I would. Slowly but surely my stamina increased and I would walk longer and longer and five months into it, and about 32ish pounds gone, I began to ride a bike. From there stamina just got better and better.

I agree with you, just build up over time and it gets easier :)
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options

Agreed! Walking has literally saved my life. Start out slow; if you have digital cable or satellite, you might have exercise on demand, or go to exercise.tv and find Leslie Sansone...She has a multitude of Walk at Home programs, and they will help you build your strength and stamina. Start with the 1 mile walk...20 minutes...when you master that, move on to the 2, then 3, then 4! You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck! I wish you great success in your journey!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Really I don't think you can beat swimming if you're looking for something low impact. But speaking as someone who started out with about 120 lbs. to lose (now only 99), I will tell you that you'd be surprised what you can actually do if you try... try whatever exercise you think will be fun and do as much as you can, and next time you'll be able to do a little more, and then a little more... that's how it goes.

Agreed too....Swimming is FANTASTIC! You will be surprised what the water can do for you!
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I found that i could do long walks without feelign like i was going to die but my knee would hurt the rest of the day. Even now i'm still having that. Swimming is good as it's no impact. I have a leslie sanzone walk aerobics dvd. According to the box it's equivalent of a brisk 2 mile walk .It can be sectioned so you can do 1/2 mile then skip to the cool down or just go straight through. It's 25-30 minutes including warm up and cool down. I'm still needing to lose 100+lbs and findng that i can now go right through the walk dvd with just a couple of pauses to have a sip of water and my knee isn't buggered for the rest of the day.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Hi oconor,

I'm a personal trainer, and as such I want you to know that it's ok to work hard, even when morbidly obese. There's no need to limit yourself to low intensity exercise. As long as you don't feel pain, or nausea, dizziness, or some other type of unusual feeling besides fatigue and shortness of breath, it's fine. Please note, I have nothing against walking, but generally, unless you have an injury or medical condition that doesn't allow you to do more than that, I feel that walking should only be a stepping stone to more challenging activity.

I'll caveat this by saying, when ever you are at a physical extreme (like being morbidly obese), you should always have a full diagnostic checkup with a medical professional before beginning a rigorous exercise program. And make sure they know that exercise is a goal. They may want to give you a physical stress test and some other flexibility type testing to check what levels you can achieve.

I would also recommend at least 1 or 2 sessions with a trainer to better equip you with the knowledge and understanding you need to be fully aware of what your limitations are. Most people who are out of shape don't realize what they can do because of fear to push their body. I'm here to tell you, it's ok to push yourself, as long as you are safe about it.

feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Please note, I'm not recommending any specific exercise modality or intensity level, I would never do that without having received a doctors approval first, I'm just telling you it's ok to work hard as long as you take the necessary steps to ensure you do it in a healthy way.

-Banks