Starvation Mode and Calorie Counting Questions

Options
So my daily report says that if I keep eating under 1,200 calories a day, I'll go into starvation mode and not lose the weight I want.

But my uncle recently started doing a 500 cal a day diet and takes some pill, and he lost 19 lbs in 2 weeks. Sounds nice to me.

So I've been trying to keep it under 800 cal a day. Am I going to go into starvation mode?

Also, why does my calorie allowance raise with my exercise on my calorie counter?

Replies

• marshmallowmind
    marshmallowmind Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is BAD for you. Don't bother trying it. As soon as you start eating normally again, it's more than likely all the weight ill come back on, plus more. & pills don't do anything. I've heard that the only thing they do is make you have anal leakage if you eat too much fatty foods, such as Alli & diet pills like that.
    You're much better off getting your 1200 & exercising, that way the weight will stay off.
    & the calorie allowance goes up with however many calories you burn off. That way you know how many calories you've earned back & are allowed to eat. You don't have to eat them, but you can.
  • whoisgoingtosaveher
    Options
    You will almost certainly put the weight back on once you start eating properly again, i wouldnt reccomend doing it.

If you need help in anyway keeping on track thats what the message boards are here for. Even though its frutrating that you wont see the differences straight away through eating and excercising, when you do it'll give you a motivation boost. Stay at it keep records of what your eating and your excercise and see which ways you can improve diet and regime and you'll soon get the bug.

XxX
  • sarita22
    sarita22 Posts: 2
    Options
    Please please stop this now.I work with eating disorders and I see first hand the effects that long and short term starvation have on the body, it can be devastating. Nobody should ever be consuming less than 1200 calories a day, so combining a diet of 1200 with plenty of exercise is ok for initial weight loss and when you have reached your maintenence goal you will need to play around with how many calories your body needs to maintain your healthy weight. I know we all want a quick weight loss solution but your body and brain with thank you for doing it the healthy way-and above all you are 10 times more likely to keep the weight off than taking pills and crash dieting!
  • ninyagwa
    ninyagwa Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Aside from all the caloric advice here, which is pretty good, I'd also suggest that you take your measurements when you start, that way if you don't see that scale number you were hoping for, you can take measurements and perhaps see a loss there so you won't lose your motivation.
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Whether it's 800 calories or 1200 calories, if you stop and start eating more than that, you're going to gain the weight back because it's more calories coming in. I don't recommend 800 calories because you'd probably be pretty hungry and would not be getting all the healthy nutrients you need. But there are definitely days when I go under my 1,200 calories. It's just a number, though. As long as you're not hungry and you have energy you should be fine. I wouldn't aim for 800 but I wouldn't be worried if you go under sometimes.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Why do people always look for the quick fix?

Look, I didn't get fat over night so I knew I wasn't going to get rid of it over night. Stop the madness. Get a good healthy eating plan, good workout plan and the weight will come off. Don't call it a diet, it's a life sytle change.

Personally your uncle is...never mind. Don't do what he did. Come on, you're here for the same reason we all are...to make a change in you. You want it to last? Slow and steady wins the race. You can do it.
  • MarilynMarie
    Options
    I Suffer From Anorexia Nervosa
    Trust me do NOT go down this road!
    Its very scary and dangerous.
    I go to bed some nights wondering if I will wake up the next morning.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I Suffer From Anorexia Nervosa
    Trust me do NOT go down this road!
    Its very scary and dangerous.
    I go to bed some nights wondering if I will wake up the next morning.

Amen Sister.