Almost Ready to Quit

Options
Hi Everyone, I have lost 1 stone (10lbs on MFP) since January 17th and I was thrilled with my progress! I have one more stone to lose until my goal weight. I am 5'2" and currently weigh 9 stone.

But now............ nothing has been lost since the 1st of March. I obviously need to change something and people are telling me to eat more (currently eat about 800 cals a day). I am sure they are right but I am so scared to start eating more and that I will put weight back on. I also find it really hard to get above 800 calories the healthy way as I am a fussy eater, dont like nuts etc.

At the moment I feel like all my hard work if for nothing and I am close to giving up. Has anyone experienced this also and does anyone have any advice?

Replies

• missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    no dont give up u've done so well, just try and extra 5 minutes exercise each time and maybe extra water if ur intakes not that high:smile:
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    You wont put on more weight if you make healthy food choices and not get yoru calories from junk. Your body needs those calories to thrive and be healthy.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    If you opened your diary to the public people would be able to advise you better. Until then you need to eat more.
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Awww, keep at it ;) Plateaus are hard but I agree with the other advice you are getting, you need to up your calories. I am by no means a dr but the advice mine gave me was that if i started feeling fatigue or plateaued then I was not eating enough. The max deficit he said your body can handle is 500 cals whether it's from exercise or reduced food.
  • shumatet1982
    Options
    Hey there from germany.

Do you only cut down kcal to 800, or do you work out also?

I had several friends with great success with high intensity workouts. Excellent effect from about 30 min/day.
  • RichB77
    RichB77 Posts: 88
    Options
    You're in starvation mode by the sounds of it. you're not fuelling your bodies' fire and so anything you do eat is being retained.
    Again, making your diary public may help people make more informed comments.
    Also, too much sodium will make your body hold on to water
    Just a thought, hope u can find a remedy

:drinker:
  • jesshall281
    jesshall281 Posts: 219
    Options
    You really do need to eat your goal calories a day, 800 is way too little and its most likely youre in starvation mode. I know you say its difficult to eat more than 800, but if you really want to lose weight then youre going to have to eat more. How about a protein bar? you can get loads of flavours and they can be high in calories, if you find youre low for the day, munch on one of those to bring yourself up to your daily calorie goal
  • shumatet1982
    Options
    I agree to richB77 and jesshall281. My initial thought was, that your intake is too low.

How do you eat? Maybe you would like to open your diary for us, so we can help
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    One of my friends didn't lose anything for about a month and she upped her calories by a couple hundred for a week, and then the next went back down to what she was eatting before and she has started to lose again. I also didn't lose anything for a few weeks changed up my exercise a bit, and started losing. Your body may need time to catch upto, so you may be losing inches instead of pounds. I suggest taking you measurements and then times like this if you aren't losing weight you can see if you are inches. But don't give up!! You have done great so far!! I read a thing earlier that said its like a war that we are battling on 3 fronts, our bodies, our minds, and our cravings. You are battling all these things and its hard right now put you have to push through it and stay strong to win the War!!
  • evedavies
    evedavies Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I do also exercise for an hour 3 times a week, maybe I should up that also. Looks like I am going to have to face my fear and eat more and see what happens
  • evedavies
    Options
    When you say you switched up your exercise, what exactly did you change? Did you just do a different type of exercise?
  • maureak
    maureak Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was stuck in a plateau for 3 months. I lost and gained back the same couple of pounds the whole time. But, and this is a big one, I dropped another size during that time. I continued to do my normal work outs and stuck to my eating plan and I believe I was firming up during those 3 months. How are your clothes fitting you?

I would not be able to function on 800 calories. You might just try adding gradually and see how it works out for you.

Also - throw in an extra intense work out every so often. This is how I eventually got off my plateau.

Good Luck!
  • evedavies
    Options
    Thanks Maureak.

My clothes are looser, I can fit in the next size down but not comfortably.

I just hope I can stick this out :(
  • shumatet1982
    Options
    Why don't you open your diary? Do you track your food? What's a normal daily meal plan?

My advice would be: Switch one one hour work out to a high intensity interval training (HIIT), and add one HIIT. You should really try this, it works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training
    (sounds hard but actually is easy: fast, slow fast slow...)
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    hey, you and i are the same size and height, im 8st 13lbs and 5'2". and my average calorie intake is about 1200 cals.

i would say 800 cals is far too low to survive on. I joined on the 15th of jan and was 10st 2lbs so have lost about 16lbs so far. I would say increase your water intake as well. atleast 8 cups a day or more if you can. I work out about 3-4 times a week and average about 1-3lbs loss a week. not reached a plataeu yet. so its worked for me
  • maritajane
    Options
    This is such an encouraging thread - as I also have been on a plateau for a long time. But suddenly lost another lb yesterday - wonderful feeling. The great thing is that I haven't given up and the general trend is downwards. I do think that sometimes I underestimate my calories though - and my portion sizes may be too big.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    You say you're afraid to eat more, but you can't lose and want to give up. Soooo....if you give up, you'll probably end up....eating more, right?

Well, why not do that now, but only with healthy foods instead? Added to a sensible exercise plan, you should get results. You give up, and I guarantee nothing positive will happen. Just a thought. Good luck!
  • kimd1974
    kimd1974 Posts: 113
    Options
    I went through a 3 week phase of not losing a pound. I ask for some advice and it worked, I just weighed in and lost 1/2 pound. The advice I was given was to have a spluge meal to shock my body and change 2 workouts a week to interval workouts. I only have around 10 more pounds to lose and they are hanging on for dear life.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind MillerII's signature: "It's a life STYLE not a life SENTENCE".

If you're in this for the long haul, then you've got to muster up the courage to eat a few more calories per day. You can't live on 800 calories a day the rest of your life and be healthy.

And if you're not in it for the long haul are are looking for a quick fix, well. . . then that brings up a whole different set of issues that I don't know that you are going to find answers for here.

Don't give up on yourself!
  • getfitgirl1
    Options
    i've never been successful enough to get to where you are even, but i've always heard that when you get to trying to lose your last 10 pounds or less, it will be slow slow slow. a girl in my boot camp hit a plateau for about 6 month, but then all of a sudden, a lot more came off! please don't quit - DRIVE THROUGH AND DON'T GIVE UP!