I don't want to quit but how do I juggle work and workout?

Options
Morning guys, happy Friday and all...

I feel bad moaning so early in the morning but I'm really feeling a bit low. I have had some great success this past 2 1/2 months on MFP. I've done my 30 Day Shred, 30 Day Slimdown and now I'm on my own 30 Day program. I've lost 17lbs to date and I feel amazing. So why am I low, you ask? I stopped working as of Dec 2010 and I started MFP on 29 Dec. I've been a domestic goddess for 3 months and the only thing I did apart from daily chores and cat sitting is workout. Basically my best friend has been Jillian Michaels. Don't get me wrong, it has been super hard to dedicate myself to this evil best friend but with the support of MFPs, I completed two round of her immense torture.

I am now back to work as of last week and I've also written out my own 'Fight the Fat' 30 Day program incorporating her DVDs and spinning. The reason I'm feeling low is...how the heck do people juggle work and working out?!? I work a normally office job so 9:30 - 5:30pm. I can usually pep myself up on Mondays and Wednesdays cuz that's my spinning day and since the gym is only a 10 minute walk from me, I haven't missed a day yet. It's the at-home dates with Jillian I am struggling with. I try to wake up early to do some but I'm normally so tired from the day before, I can't wake up. I try to do it in the evening time but by the time I get home, clean the house a bit, feed the cats, shove laundry in, it's about 7pm and an hour of workout with her is just torture to me...and then I have to eat dinner which is normally past 8pm and I'm really trying to not eat past 8pm because a full stomach gives me insomnia...

I just feel like I'm kind of rolling with the motion this last 11 days since I started the program. I'm still doing a workout everyday but I'm not sticking to my own program like I have the other months when I'm wasn't working. I know I shouldn't beat myself up about it but I can't help it. I'm just tired...and please don't say I'm over-trained cuz I know I'm not. I'm also hungry all the time now. Before when i was at home, I wasn't hungry and I could control what I eat with ease. Now I'm back at work, I'm hungry all the time. Not munchy, actual hunger like my tummy is growling every 2-3 hours...and I do eat, some nuts here and an apple there but then I feel guilty cuz I think I'm going to be too tired after work to work out..

Sorry..I'm ranting a bit...

Okay, main question: How the heck do you guys juggle working a full time job and working out hard?

Sorry for the Friday blues...

Replies

• nachoqtpie
    Options
    Honestly, I can't answer that question for you, because I'm a stay at home mom, but, you hang in there!! You will figure it out!
    Everybody always asks me how I can get up at 0430 to get my workouts in.... I just tell them "I just do!"
    *hugs*
  • meanebaby
    meanebaby Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't know about everyone else but I get up early to do my workout, go to my full time job, come home, work out again (each workout is about 30 minutes/workout...sometimes I only get in one per day), cook dinner, spend an hour w/family, go to bed and get up and do it all over again.

It is something you have to 'schedule' in your day, like any other meeting. Good luck on your journey!
  • sapiers
    sapiers Posts: 14
    Options
    it's not easy but I think you can get used to it once you get a good routine going. I do a 30 minute workout in the morning before work and I have to leave the house at 4am so that means I get up at 3am so I can get my 30 minutes and shower in. It was pretty tough at first but I am used to it now. Then I do an hour of cardio after work, typically recumbent bike. I'm not suggesting this is for you but I THINK you can condition yourself to get used to it, you just have to find the right fit for you. The most difficult part for me is making sure I fit family time in for my wife and two girls. Keep at it and you can do it!
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options
    I don't know about everyone else but I get up early to do my workout, go to my full time job, come home, work out again (each workout is about 30 minutes/workout...sometimes I only get in one per day), cook dinner, spend an hour w/family, go to bed and get up and do it all over again.

It is something you have to 'schedule' in your day, like any other meeting. Good luck on your journey!

+1

the workouts before and after work is the only "ME" time I get... so set that alarm 40 minutes earlier and have at it....

I also find that its not too hard to get a workout in at work.... I work on the 5th floor... and instead of coffee breaks, I put on my reeboks and run the stairs for 15-20 mins...would rather do that at lunchtime too ( I can eat at my desk after) but I usually spend that time grocery shopping for fresh veggies for dinner
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It is a juggling act. I know, and it can be hard to find a schedule that works.

I go to a gym very near my work - a few nights a week I'll go there straight after work at 5.30 or 6 pm, and do an hour class. One morning a week I get up early (6.30, not that early really!) for a 7 am class before work. Ocassionally I'll pop in at lunchtime, but that's an absolute last resort if I've got other things on every evening. And a couple of nights I have non-gym based activites such as dancing or dog-walking.

How's your lunch hour - could you fit in a 20 minute power walk?
  • SpencerR
    SpencerR Posts: 37
    Options
    Working out should become like a second a "fun" job. Make time for it. If u can't make time for it EVERY day then 3 times a week make time for it for an hour and a half. Since u have a gym thatd b great!. Go to the gym for 1.5 hrs 3 days a week and do a split of lifting weights and running/jogging/walking. You can make it work. I know how u feel. I work 7-3 but then I go to the gym from 4-6 EVERY day then I come home eat play with my daughter then its bed time :-/......my off days I spend ALL day with my family no gym or work
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I walk and jog @ work during lunch breaks. I bring a change of clothes too. fortunately for me I work graveyard hrs and I have great understanding co-workers who help cover during my shift when I do go out and excercise.
  • marielw
    marielw Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I work full time and have a 13 month old son. It is hard to find the time to exercise and perhaps i don't do as much as i should.

If i get to work early (usually about twice a week) i go for a 20 or 30 min walk before going into the office - nice way to start the day.
    About twice a week i go for a 25 min walk/run at lunchtime followed by 5 mins of circuit training type exercises.
    About 3 times a week i do 30 day shred in the evening after my son has gone to bed (about 8pm).
    Once a week i do a 45 mins aerobic class in the evening.
    I also fit in some exercise bike if i feel the need - usually whilst watching a bit of tv in the evening.

It is hard, but i don't put myself under pressure to do the 30 day shred every day and if i have managed to do exercise during the day i don't stress about doing any in the evening (unless i have overeaten and need to do it).

I don't have a set routine - i think that would be too much pressure on me - when you have a baby to look after aswell you have to expect the unexpected. I just do what i can!
    Good luck!
  • lucybp
    lucybp Posts: 193
    Options
    You don't think about it and just follow the nike logo: Just do it! That's what works for me. I also think about the long term benefits and the need to take care of myself and that gets me pumped ...

I'm sorry you are feeling blue :( I know for me the home work outs don't get me pumped. I need to interact or see other people while working out. I go to the gym and enjoy the funnest classes ever - like zumba. Find your 'fun' class or just work out at the gym to see if that makes a difference. It took me a while to make friends at the gym, but knowing that I'll see my gym buddies and favorite trainers gets me going and I know it'll be a pleasant experience overall.

Hope this helps.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I work 9-6 with an hour commute each way. I just can't exercise in the morning, I'm way too tired and rush about enough as it is.

If I'm going to the gym, I have my bag packed and take it with me to work and go directly there rather than home first. If I'm exercising at home, usually to Jillian, I do it first - do not sit down, do not start cooking, do not feed the cats - straight in your kit and get started. Personally I then cook and do housework in my exercise kit before I shower - that's how I avoid eating too late!

Good luck!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if I want to add in more of if I know I won't have time to workout in the evening, I keep a pair of trainers in my desk to go for a power walk at lunchtime!
  • elainio
    elainio Posts: 77
    Options
    You have to stay focused and plan your days well.

I work at least 9-5 Monday to Friday (usually a lot more than that since I’m in research).
    Currently I am doing the Shred ontop of my normal work outs so here is a typical midweek day in my shoes:
    7am: wake up do Shred
    730am: eat breakfast
    8am: shower and leave for work
    Work work work
    510pm: body attack
    6pm: make and eat dinner
    7pm-930pm: house work and prepare lunch for next day
    10pm: prepare for bed

Once you have a routine it is easy. I even fit a boyfriend into some of my midweek days and dinner with friends/visiting folk.

You will get used to it!

Exx
  • emilyrosedye
    Options
    I try and fit a work out or exersise in wherever I can. Walking home from work (2.3 miles), taking the stairs instead of the lift, going for a walk at lunch, crunches in the morning and at night, running after work etc. I also try and step it up on the weekend by going for a longer jog than I would during the week. Its a juggle trying to fit in work and working out but if you make it part of your daily routine, everything else should slot in to place.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    It's tough. But I agree with some of the other replies on here...you have to "make time". I have kind of a set schedule that I can follow most days..

I get up at 3:40am just to exercise before work. It's like a requirement at least 3 days out of the week. I don't really want to...i HAVE to...
    I feel so much better when I do..AND being a mom, after work/school is really tough to exercise when you have children running around at your feet and pulling on your shirt :)

You will find the right balance for yourself, just don't be afraid to TRY!!

GOOD LUCK AND I WISH YOU MUCH SUCCESS!
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    To juggle multiple things, it's tricky. The only thing I can say is that the motivation to keep working out and losing weight is what keeps me going. I work full time, 8:30-5 and on Mondays and Wednesday I have school at 5:30-7ish. I go to the gym every Mon and Wednesday after I go home and have some dinner, usually get to the gym between 8-9. And I'll go to the gym at least 2 other days during the week. Like you, I am exhausted in the morning but my motivation is seeing and feeling the results of my weight loss. 16lbs later and 1 pant size down is my motivation to keep going. I have to admit that I have become a bit of a gym rat. I will get bad anxiety if I feel like I am not going to the gym enough. Maybe once you get into a routine being back to work and finding time to work out it will get easier for you. Just keep pushing on, you've done amazing!!
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You just have to force yourself to do it, until it becomes habit.

M-F I work from 7:00-2:30. Grade papers and lesson plan until 4:00. Softball Practice from 4:00-7:30. Cook and eat dinner around 8:30. Workout from 9:30-10:30. Shower, Bed, Repeat.

I just forced myself to do it and now I HAVE to do it. I don't even think about.
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Try walking on your lunch break and doing.your vidio as soon as you get home. I work have school and three kids under ten at home
    They understand that that. Ims is for me.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    hi tiff, i can totally relate! i was in pharma sales last year, and had a long commute-- and it was impossible to get to the gym afterwards... i felt too exhausted and ended up gaining a lot of weight. at best, i exercised only once a week.

this time around trying to lose weight, i am really motivated, doing it for myself but also my mom's fight with cancer was a big wake-up call. i can tell things will be different and that i will succeed. so i think if you remember your inspirations and motivations for becoming healthier, it will help you stick to a regular exercise routine, even with the daily demands of work.

i agree that making it a priority and scheduling exercise in is very helpful. does your gym offer other classes that you'd consider trying? take a look at the gym class schedule at the beginning of the week, and plan which ones you'll be going to. i pack my gym bag every morning, then head straight there after work. this way, i can't just go home, eat dinner, and later make excuses for not working out. the gym classes are at 6 or 7 pm anyways, so i'm forced to go there after work anyway. :) exercise has become such a habit, and now i exercise daily -- so that the days i do not work out, i feel like my day isn't complete or my body feels sluggish. once you make it a regular habit and schedule in exercise, it will become a lot easier.

i also think it's harder to be motivated when working out at home. maybe it will help if you ask your bf to join you? working out together is very helpful, and you'll both get toned!

hope you have a great wknd!
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Wow...seriously...you guys are like super humans in my eyes!!! Waking up at 4am?! Juggling 1, 2, sometimes 3 kids AND a full time job?!? Seriously put me to shame...I almost feel bad for moaning now!!

I know I should just suck it up and make this 'part of my life' but you know when you've been 'lazy' for so long, to suddenly include all of these working out into your life is really daunting. I know I've done really well and I also know I have so because I wasn't working, I don't have kids and I'm not married. At my last job, I was so stressed out, I gained most of my weight during the last job and I was unhappy and angry and I just don't want to go back to that anymore!

I am working in a much better environment and working till 5:30pm/6pm really shouldn't stop me from working out, I know all of this...I just need to scream at myself, JUST DO IT!

Thank you all for responding and this is the reason why I love MFP so much...aww...I love you guys...thank you again!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I work 40 hours a week, and I have a child so there are all of those obligations outside of my paying job. I still manage to go to yoga 3-4 times a week. I go in the evenings. Sometimes it's the last thing I want to do but I always feel better once I've gone. I also use public transit to get to and from work, so I get off a couple of stops early and incorporate a 2k walk every day. I'm starting a learn to run program in a couple of weeks as well. I think it's all about making time for yourself. Good luck!