getting annoyed with the banners on this website

Options
over the past couple of days ive seen ads for all you can eat buffet, some big fat burger place and just now pizza hut meals for a 5er. whats all that about im sure people on here are trying to lose weight so why are they advertising blooming junk food!!

Replies

• EmmaRankmore
    Options
    lol thats been annoying me heaps too. Its silly.
  • jgover
    jgover Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    everytime I get on there is the bright blue cup cake. So rude!
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I know it, the huge burger one gets me every time. lol
  • Sissy4EverX3
    Options
    I see one for pizza. It only motivates me more to ignore the ads and work that much harder at avoiding the unhealthy stuff.
  • carinalewis
    Options
    my downfall is pizza hut. i dream about it. looks like im gonna end up eating it tonight cos i cant get it off my mind after seeing that. really p%$£ me off!!!!
  • purpleisiscat
    purpleisiscat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use Adblock on my browser- no ads!
  • MrsCupCakeBoyle
    MrsCupCakeBoyle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    These banners help them pay for this site.
  • carinalewis
    Options
    yes i know but seriously pizza hut and burgers is the best they can do?
  • GettingThisDone100
    GettingThisDone100 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The ads are generated based on past sites you've visited or keywords you've used. Now that you posted about pizza, it will prob. show up more.
    Unfortunately those "annoying banners" are what keep this site free.
  • KenMontville
    KenMontville Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I take it with a grain of salt. I totally agree that eating ads (I see one for Ruby Tuesday on this page as I type) is not the best choice but my guess is that they're AdSense ads and, thus, are being fed (so to speak) to the site automatically because of the content (i.e., food and eating and dieting).

I tend to block out the ads in my mind and I would much rather have a free site with all the nice features of My Fitness Pal than pay a monthly membership fee and have no ads. It's a small price to pay for free.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I've found that my banners seem to be affected by what i've searched for on google. DOn't know if it is supposed to do that, but it does it every time.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Someone has to pay the bills. Being that it's the website it is maybe it should show only healthy stuff, but if the advertisers aren't there then you take the one that are, or you shut down. Me personally, I fit a personal pan pizza into my eating habits once a week ( Cheese only, light on the sauce). I don't usually notice the ads unless someone brings them to my attention.
  • carinalewis
    Options
    oh totally agree its a great site and free :) am going to have to learn to ignore them, or excercise much more when i give in to the temptation of the ads!!
  • leb89
    leb89 Posts: 54
    Options
    Ha, my ads are always about clothes shopping, epicurious and victoria's secret because I'm always visiting those sites.
  • nachoqtpie
    Options
    Well... if the ads are based on what you search and yadda yadda... I must be the most boring person on Earth!! I don't get food ads... I get car ads!! LOL I guess I will have to start looking at them a lil closer now.. haha! I very rarely notice them anyways.
  • Buckwheat38
    Options
    i agree with kentmonville
  • nachoqtpie
    Options
    Oh wait... I just got one for Kellogs Fiber Plus and now I have one for Nutrisystem... LOL
  • Geordie_Girl
    Geordie_Girl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Install an adblocker to your browser and they'll vanish :D
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I figure the ads is what keeps this free for us. Ignore them.
  • dmmsquared
    Options
    I take it with a grain of salt. I totally agree that eating ads (I see one for Ruby Tuesday on this page as I type) is not the best choice but my guess is that they're AdSense ads and, thus, are being fed (so to speak) to the site automatically because of the content (i.e., food and eating and dieting).

I tend to block out the ads in my mind and I would much rather have a free site with all the nice features of My Fitness Pal than pay a monthly membership fee and have no ads. It's a small price to pay for free.

lol... I got the Ruby Tuesday one too :-)

I agree, I just ignore the ads. I love this site and so glad it's free!