Obsessive weigher

Options
Hello all,

Just needed to vent a little frustration and disappointment.
I cannot stop weighing myself everyday. i know i should only do it once a week and the same time and i do this on a monday but i also like to check in every morning to make sure i'm on the right track but it seems something is wrong my weight isn't going down. I wish i had done my measurements at the beggining of the week because then i'd know if i was on the right track and loosing inches but not weight. Oh well will get myself measured now.

Thanks for listening

Replies

• ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about it, I weigh myself every day it keeps me on track. I've come to realise that daily I have fluctuations last monday I was 222.4lbs by friday I was 224 now im down to 220.8 it happens. As long as at some point the weight goes down I dont worry. I also have plateau weeks when nothing wil come off and the next week I lose lots. Just keep at it,
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I had to have my hubby hide the scale Monday so that I only weigh in on the 1st of April, and then I read an article that said it is OK to weigh every couple of days so that you do know if you should change up your excercise or eating routines...but I'm still going to hold out till the first....my thoughts are if I'm doing what I should do by the end of one month I wanna see a loss of 4-6 pounds as opposed to 1 or 2/wk!!!
  • dizidaisy
    dizidaisy Posts: 68
    Options
    I weigh daily too - but I only record my weight on a Tuesday - every week my weight fluctuates before it settles at roughly 1lb a week loss - I don't think it matters if you weigh daily as long as you don't let the scales dictate how you feel for that day - HAVING SAID THAT!!! Unfortunately this does happen to me - Wednesday morning I'd registered a 1lb loss and felt like the most slimmest person on earth - Thursday and this morning - I registered my original weight from Tuesday (which I was ecstatic about on Tuesday!) and that's made me feel quite miserable - even though I'm saying to you don't let it dictate your emotions - but it does happen!

On the otherhand, if I don't watch my pattern I can let myself slip thinking that I'm doing better than I am!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I use 1 day a week as my official weigh in but I too use to weigh myself everyday. It helped me to stay on track. BTW, sucking in your gut or stepping on the scale slowly doesn't make you lighter. DANG IT!!!!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i can't help myself either. i only allow myself to weigh myself at the gym, so i do it every day that i go to the gym, but not when i don't go... oh well, what can you do? as long as the number goes down at the monday weigh in, that's all that really matters. some days during the week, i think i'm not going anywhere, but i write my weight down in my diary when i get home from the gym, and every monday, it's been down from the last monday, so thats all i care about essentially.
  • ninyagwa
    ninyagwa Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing! I only officially record my weight one day, but I weigh every day when I wake up (that's the best time to weigh yourself, truest numbers). My husband removed the scale from the bathroom to weigh out luggage in the living room and I paniced when I didn't see it on the floor so I couldn't weigh myself! I wish I could stop doing it, seems unhealthy but I can't.
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Morning and night. Weekends at noon too. I know I know bad thing.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i read somehwere that weighing daily can be a good thing, as if there is a trend of it going up and up, you can take action quickly rather than there being several pounds at the end of the week to try and lose
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    i only weigh once a week even though tempted 2 weigh more often but am resisting:smile:
  • sarita22
    sarita22 Posts: 2
    Options
    Its really important that we dont get into the obsession with weighing ourselves everyday, I work with eating disorders and it is a control method that can massively effect your feelings around food and body image for the whole day (and longer!). My best advice is to weigh yourself once a week at the same time of the day to get the most accurate reading, as your body weight can fluctuate +/- 2.5lb everyday! :-)
  • poorcopies
    poorcopies Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Its really important that we dont get into the obsession with weighing ourselves everyday, I work with eating disorders and it is a control method that can massively effect your feelings around food and body image for the whole day (and longer!). My best advice is to weigh yourself once a week at the same time of the day to get the most accurate reading, as your body weight can fluctuate +/- 2.5lb everyday! :-)

The first thing they said to me when I started therapy for binge eating and over eating disorder was to not weigh myself daily, but it is as much of a habit to kick as the eating disorder itself. I have a much better mindset about it now though and don't do it every day, but I definitely do it more than I should.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options

I can see why this would be a problem fro people who have or are likely to develop an eating disorder but for me its a good way to stay motivated. Yes my weight fluctuates daily but if I dont get weighed then I dont know what my body is doing and I can kid myself that I'm doing better than I am.
    I've made a promise to myself to always get weighed once a week and until im at target it'll be everyday then hopefully I'll never put on this much weight again.
  • Life0nMars86
    Life0nMars86 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i read somehwere that weighing daily can be a good thing, as if there is a trend of it going up and up, you can take action quickly rather than there being several pounds at the end of the week to try and lose

@ suzy: do u know what article/book/site u read that? because my doctor's have told me once a week, when i started this site it told me once a week and multiple ppl on here say it too...so that's y i stick to that theory.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    youre probably all right, and i have a bit of a tendency towards disordered thinking in that respect anyway, so probably just jumped on the one thing i read that said it was alright, whereas most places seem to steer more towards the once a week thing, so ignore me :)
  • Franticantics
    Options
    I weighed myself this morning, then had breakfast, weighed myself, did some chores, weighed myself agan, then drank a pint of water and immediately weighed myself after.
    Now that's obsessive!
    Although mainly do t out of sheer curiosity with how everything throughout the day affects weight!
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    i get too depressed if i do that
  • RajwaJ
    RajwaJ Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday morning as well but the last couple of weeks I have weighed myself daily. I seem to gain weigh middle of the week by a lb or so but by the Monday morning I weigh less than the beginning of the week. Just the way my body is. Going to try and only do it weekly starting Monday though as its a bit of a downer when that lb goes on.
  • AeshaKSha
    AeshaKSha Posts: 16
    Options
    I WEIGH MYSELF EVERYDAY N' THE MORNINGS BEFORE I EXERCISE. WEIGHING EVERYDAY KEEPS ME GROUNDED ON WHAT TO EAT THAT DAY. IF THE SCALE # GOES UP A LITTLE THAT DAY, THEN I DON'T EAT A HIGH SUGAR SNACK. I DRINK MORE WATER THAT DAY. I'VE BEEN WEIGHING MYSELF EVERYDAY FOR 16YRS. - AESHA
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    mE too but i don't worry I think it helps me see it as just a number I sometimes weight myself first when I get up than when I get dressed than after I work out than after I get out of the shower and sometimes I have weighed something different each time One time I remember gaining 1.5 in the shower So it helps me see how its really just a ever changing number. I offically weigh myself once a week the scale has had to see that number more times than not and it had to come up that hour of that today for me to say i had a weight change. weird but works for me
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I used to do this and got really obsessive about my weight. Then I got hubby to hide the scales for me and I started to weigh fortnightly. OH MY GOD did it take the pressure off!!! I still continued to eat well but I didnt feel the pressure I felt before. Also, I then began recording higher losses as I was now weighing every two weeks and this motivated me even more!

Now hubby doesnt have to hide the scales and I still weigh fortnightly with no sneaky weigh-ins in between because I know I will record a higher loss if I stick to every two weeks and that really motivates me.