What am I doing wrong??

Options
I've just weighed myself and am so surprised and disappointed that I''ve only 5lbs lost since the start of January - what am I doing wrong? 1200 cals a day, one body pump class, one pilates class and at least one cardio workout at home every week. Help!!

Replies

• ashtenr
    ashtenr Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I sympathise, it can be v frustrating. Are you drinking the water? That really helps, I find, even if i have to force myself to drink it. Are you being totally honest about what you are eating, writing everything down, weighing it?
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I just got on the scale and it says I've gained 2.5 lbs...and I work out 7 days a week and eat 1200 calories, drink plenty of water. We can't give up though...just keep at it. I don't think you are doing anything wrong...everyone's body reacts differently and loses weight at different rates.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,631 Member
    Options
    I think a 5 lb loss is great! Remember to eat your exercise calories, log what you eat, and take measurements. I am no expert but do know that when I do the above I lose. It is harder now that I am older too (48). Slow and steady will keep it off! Keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    FIBER. Seriously. It's the boost I use to get over those stalemates with my scale. Cream of wheat, a handful of almonds, triscuit thin crisps, Special K, fruit and veggies, Fiber One Key Lime Pie Yogurt are good examples. Get those 8 glasses of water in, too.
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You've not provided enough information about yourself to really evaluate what you are doing, but my guess is that you are not eating enough and your body thinks it is starving. I'd suggest reading the very excellent posts linked on this post for details.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

Good luck!
  • therring1970
    Options
    You may want to check what you're eating as well. You might be under your calorie goals, but are you getting enough protein? too many carbs?
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    You're probably not eating enough... all that work you're doing and not enough fuel. Another member put it well yesterday... if your gas tank is empty, your car isn't going anywhere. Same for your body. If you aren't keeping your tank full, it can't function properly. Try eating back half of your exercise calories and if the scale doesn't budge, eat them all.
  • Rae3265
    Rae3265 Posts: 2
    Options
    of the 1200 calories your eating are you adding every thing, butter that you might be using to cook with, dressings that sort of stuff, also how many carbs are you consuming
  • raleighgoodwins
    raleighgoodwins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I know that my cousin was in this same boat (she's a member on MFP also) for quite a long time when she started. She was exercising like crazy and had seriously reduced her calorie intake but wasn't losing weight.

You could try taking your measurements. For some people, they see a difference in inches lost before they see weight loss.

Also, after my cousin had been doing this for a few months, she started dropping weight like mad. After not losing anything for about 3 months, she lost 20 lbs in the next 4 months.

So don't give up. Your body could be adjusting to the new regimen and just needs time to catch up! Good Luck.
  • yummymummy50
    Options
    Yes, I am drinking a litre of water a day and being very honest about what I log in my food diary!
  • yummymummy50
    Options
    I'm very grateful for your support and won't give up. Slowly but surely is better than not at all :wink:
  • kerri62
    kerri62 Posts: 11
    Options
    I had this discussion with one of my Doctor friendts this week. He said to get some type of protein bar to eat as my snack. He suggested some that are found at Target called "Think Thin". I have not looked for them yet, but am going to today. He also suggested very little or no carbs after like 6 pm. I am drinking my water. I am open for suggestions from anyone! I hope this helps.
  • cmuld
    cmuld Posts: 7
    Options
    You are doing well. The best way is slow but sure, this way there is less chance of you putting it back on because you have reducated yourself on nutrition and exercise. Keep it up
  • yummymummy50
    Options
    I had this discussion with one of my Doctor friendts this week. He said to get some type of protein bar to eat as my snack. He suggested some that are found at Target called "Think Thin". I have not looked for them yet, but am going to today. He also suggested very little or no carbs after like 6 pm. I am drinking my water. I am open for suggestions from anyone! I hope this helps.
  • yummymummy50
    Options
    Thank you I will try the protein bars!
  • lindainak
    lindainak Posts: 101
    Options
    Went to a dietition at my doctor's request. Her one size fits all diet made me feel terrible. So the doc sent my blood off for DNA testing for $200 and viola according to my DNA/The Gene Diet, I should be eating one portion of animal protein only every third day and plant protein on the other days and 55% of my diet should be carbs. I feel great now. My biggest problem now is eating 1500 plus calories a day with my daily exercise routine. You might consider looking around your town and finding a doc who tests your DNA and stop guessing what you should be eating.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You've not provided enough information about yourself to really evaluate what you are doing, but my guess is that you are not eating enough and your body thinks it is starving. I'd suggest reading the very excellent posts linked on this post for details.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

Good luck!

Bingo. If you are only eating 1200 calories and working out regularly, I can pretty much guarantee you aren't eating enough. Here's another good link for you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/188509-my-take-on-exercise-calories-please-read-if-you-are-new
  • malabaugh
    malabaugh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE! 1200 calories is not enough!
  • Godsflower1789
    Options
    calories are probably too low. had the same problem---lost % lbs in like 3 month span and felt horribly deprived. Just started increasing my intake to 1500 and increasing the exercise and lost 4lbs in a week!
    your body is probably in starvation mode, try increasing calories
  • yummymummy50
    Options
    Wow! Eat more? No problem lol. Thanks for the advice it has made me feel a whole lot better. And I'll check out those links, too. Progress report to follow after a month of new regime :happy: