Watched Oprah Last Night.

Options
RoadDog
RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
That's right, I WATCHED OPRAH last night. What!??!!

Just happened to be starting when I sat down and turned on the TV. I usually program the 4 O'clock News and then check the DVR for Soccer, but, this one caught my eye. Tom Brokaw was on and it was about the soldiers returning from the Middle East. Just watched the first two segments. The first family was a family of four. The father was gravely injured by an IED and returned home blinded and brain damaged. He has a long road ahead of him just to exist. He will never be self sufficient. I couldn't help but cry. What upset me most was the wife and the thought that she will spend the rest of her life caring for this man. It is a terrible burden. She's raising two young children, being the caretaker for her husband and holding the family together. She gave up her life just as sure as her husband did when that IED exploded. It breaks my heart.

I don't care whether you agree with the war in the Middle East or not. I know I don't, but I have nothing but respect and admiration for those that serve and the families, and especially the wives, of those that serve.

Replies

• savvynurse
    savvynurse Posts: 292
    Options
    Amen Road dog. Amen.
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Well put, Sir. :)
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I don't care whether you agree with the war in the Middle East or not. I know I don't, but I have nothing but respect and admiration for those that serve and the families, and especially the wives, of those that serve.

Very well said. I didn't see the show, but I know I would be a bawling mess if I did. Servicemen and women, and their families do not get enough respect. They give up so much, for what?
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • theemstress
    theemstress Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ugh, my heart really goes out to them and all the others. Thanks for sharing.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I saw that episode previously. Amazing. I always say, whether you agree with the politicians and the reasons they send these soldiers where they send them, the fact is that the soldiers are giving their lives for us, without question, and that is to be honored 1,000,000,000%.
  • Fesse
    Fesse Posts: 611
    Options
    Just heartbreaking! :heart:
  • patsyanne
    patsyanne Posts: 111
    Options
    Didnt watch it but your statement is so true. We worry and complain about losing a few pounds and these people try to go on with life and usually without much complaining. Oh to be so strong!!!! This war needs to end soon.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    So true, so true. Well put. Its so sad to see out men and women come home hurt. My best friends husband returns next month and Im thankful he is returning home safe.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    @RoadDog - Ditto that sir!
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Perfectly said...agreed.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bringing this topic to our attention. Sometimes we forget that there are faces attached to those statistics that get tossed around. My Brother-In-Law was also blown up by an IUD. He was lucky that it was buried wrong or he would have been gone. As it is, he has permanent damage to his leg, head, and eye. My sister says that of all of the injuries that he has, it's his inability to sleep peacefully that is the hardest to deal with. Sometimes he will go days with only an hour or two of sleep. He served three tours in Iraq, two of those in Mortuary Affairs, and will forever be haunted by the horrors of war.

There isn't enough praise in this world for those who serve. We owe them everything. :heart: :heart:
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    There isn't enough praise in this world for those who serve. We owe them everything. :heart: :heart:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!