under limit but not losing?

Options
SO, very frustrated..
Why am I maintaining/ even gaining a little and Im staying within my means (1200) but then I exercise and eat some of them back..

and I know for a fact that I dont over estimate exercise or underestimate calories.. I probably do the opposite.
I would love some help, thanks!!

Replies

• emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Same boat here...I'll be watching for replies!
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Same boat here...I'll be watching for replies!

me too.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    How long have you noticed these results, you should base your progress on the results after 4 weeks of trying something new. Results after 1 week don`t give you an accurate picture of what is happening.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are not eating enough. Try changing your weekly weight loss goal to 0.5 lbs/week and eat the extra calories. Because you don't have much to lose your body can not sustain a large caloric deficit without negatively affecting your metabolism. If you have less than 15 or so lbs to lose you should try setting your goal at 0.5. A larger deficit, when you don't have much to lose, can cause your body to burn muscle instead of fat as fuel.

Instead of focusing on the scale focus on how you look and feel. Maybe have you BF% tested and try to improve upon that. If you don't do any resistance training you may want to add 2-3 days/week of that.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem.
    I know the typical responses will be as such:
    It could be sodium, water retention, muscle building, starvation mode, or sugar consumption.

But, like me, those are probably not gonna be the answers that you want to hear b/c it seems you are doing everything "right."

My only advice is the only thing that works for me (and I rarely do it, so I need to hear this too):
    Focus less on the weight and more on how you feel. Go about your day and realize you are trying to change your lifestyle to be healthier and happier, and the number on the scale does not define that.

I would give yourself a break day, go out and do something fun that doesn't include anything that would remind you about losing weight.
    And don't weigh yourself for a few days (if you weigh every day, like I do, that is).

Keep it up! You are doing great!!
  • ztkraf01
    ztkraf01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your body is used to eating that amount of calories. i would eat a little more and do more exercise
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    SO, very frustrated..
    Why am I maintaining/ even gaining a little and Im staying within my means (1200) but then I exercise and eat some of them back..

and I know for a fact that I dont over estimate exercise or underestimate calories.. I probably do the opposite.

If that is you in the picture, you likely need to eat more that 1200 calories, maybe a lot more. Looking at your goals, more quality calories will help you get there, not less. The reality is the less you have to lose, the slower you need to do it. 1/2 pound a week max. I would actually suggest eating as many calories at the BMR estimate you can get under the tools tab.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    well if you really think you might be underestimating your exercise and overestimating your food, then you probably are actually falling below 1200 NET calories, see what i'm saying.... try measuring/counting/weighing everything as accurately as possible and do you use a HRM while exercising? That will give you the most reliable calorie burn estimate, but its still that: an estimate.

I'd track as closely and accurately as you can for a week or so to see what happens.... also, what are you set at to lose #/wk? If you are set at 2, maybe you want to switch it up to a slightly less agressive goal to give your body a bit more to work with. It seems like your body is fighting to hold on to your calories which makes me wonder if you are too low/too agressive of goals for where you are at currently??

Edited to add" i just took a look at your profile and hon, you are going to switch to 0.5lbs a week if you are interested in losing at all ... you are already quite thin IMO and people who are at or near their goal weight already need to lose weight slowly. Its going to try your patience but concentrate on eating well (quality) and some strength training to tone and sculpt. You are beautiful, as is, so just make sure you are nourishing yourself well and taking good care of yourself so you can REMAIN so healthy!! :)
  • bjburkstrand
    Options
    Remember muscle weighs more then fat, so you may be staying the same weight but your measurements maybe changing. Do you feel yourself getting toner? Sometimes when I don't like the scale saying I did not lose that much I put on a pair of jeans and see how much better they fit and how much better I look in them.

Keep up the good work you will succeed!
  • ztkraf01
    ztkraf01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    SO, very frustrated..

If that is you in the picture, you likely need to eat more that 1200 calories, maybe a lot more. Looking at your goals, more quality calories will help you get there, not less. The reality is the less you have to lose, the slower you need to do it. 1/2 pound a week max. I would actually suggest eating as many calories at the BMR estimate you can get under the tools tab.

Agreed^ but you say on ur profile you want toned arms and abs. i think at this point you should just start weight lifting then. And when you start doing that I think you'll end up eating a few more cals anyway
  • particlefizix
    Options
    I agree with erickirb body fat percentage is a better indicator as to whether your diet/exercise regime is working (especially if your goal is abs) so I'd suggest monitoring that too, rather than just measuring your weight which can vary for a number of reasons...

There's a possibility that you've put on lean mass/muscle (which could weigh more than fat lost), it could even be water weight due to excess sodium levels (if you're having processed foods).

I experienced pretty much the same thing, so I'm sure you're doing fine. :smile:
  • tomcouch
    tomcouch Posts: 3
    Options
    hey alley, how are you taking the calories, in 3 big meals or through smaller regular portions throughout the day?

Ive found that eating roughly every 1-2 hours (even just an apple of a handful of raisins) and having smaller main meals has helped a lot.

also ive made sure i dont eat for 2 hours before going to bed.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Remember muscle weighs more then fat, so you may be staying the same weight but your measurements maybe changing. Do you feel yourself getting toner? Sometimes when I don't like the scale saying I did not lose that much I put on a pair of jeans and see how much better they fit and how much better I look in them.

No, you will not gain muscle eating 1200 cals, it is next to impossible to gain muscle while in a caloric deficit.
  • love2bfree
    Options
    I am having the same issue with working out and eating right but not losing. Lots of good advise - Thanks!
  • alleyoops
    alleyoops Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thanks for all of the great advice. I am going to try and reduce my deficit this week and see what happens, I'll be sure to let everyone know! Thanks everyone! =)

ps, making my diary public. if anyone has any insight from my diary, let me know!!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    thanks for all of the great advice. I am going to try and reduce my deficit this week and see what happens, I'll be sure to let everyone know! Thanks everyone! =)

ps, making my diary public. if anyone has any insight from my diary, let me know!!

good call :)

I just looked thru a bit of your food diary and (not including today's entries) i see that you've been under 1200 net for quite a while now... between that and what you said in your original post about over-estimating food and under-estimating exercise, i am confident that you were running into trouble because you were eating too little and especially too little for the amount of activity you do, especially considering your already slim physique. ... Switch up to 0.5lbs a week loss (or none!), continue to make the excellent food choices you are already making, just eat more of them :) And start with the strength and toning regimine. Like a previous post said, as you tone you may find the scale inches up a bit but thats OK if we know its toned muscle, right? :) Get out a tape measure and get to measuring!! :) Good luck with your endeavours!
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options

No, you will not gain muscle eating 1200 cals, it is next to impossible to gain muscle while in a caloric deficit.

Also, muscle does not weigh more than fat- a lb is a lb- Don't care if it is muscle, fat, cheetos or feathers
  • erickirb
    Options

Also, muscle does not weigh more than fat- a lb is a lb- Don't care if it is muscle, fat, cheetos or feathers

I disagree, because muscle is more dense than fat it weighs more. Saying the weight the same would be like saying a carrot and chocolate have the same amount of caloires because a calories is a calorie. Chocolate is more calorie dense hence has more calories, Muscle is more dense hense weighs more. When people say muscle weighs more than fat they are comparing volumes. Either muscle weighs the same amount of fat but takes up less space or the same volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat. We all know this is what is meant when they say "muscle weighs more than fat" no need to argue that point. You may compare lbs to lbs but most compare the weight by volume.
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

I disagree, because muscle is more dense than fat it weighs more. Saying the weight the same would be like saying a carrot and chocolate have the same amount of caloires because a calories is a calorie. Chocolate is more calorie dense hence has more calories, Muscle is more dense hense weighs more. When people say muscle weighs more than fat they are comparing volumes. Either muscle weighs the same amount of fat but takes up less space or the same volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat. We all know this is what is meant when they say "muscle weighs more than fat" no need to argue that point. You may compare lbs to lbs but most compare the weight by volume.

Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. Like pp said "A pound is a pound is a pound" Muscle is more dense therefore takes up less space, but it doesn't weigh more per pound....that's silly. And comparing calories in chocolate and carrots is completely ridiculous and irrelevant.