What's your opinion on "treats" & "snacks"?

Options
I'm just curious...what do you think about incorporating treats and snacks into your diet? I'm not talking about "healthy" snacks....I'm talking about candy, cookies, etc.

I'll start...
I track everything I eat. Between WW & MFP, I've been doing this for 14 months now. My feeling is that this is not a diet, or a temporary thing until I get the weight off. I will have to do this forever. I generally try to eat pretty well incorporating as many whole foods as I can into my day. I don't do too many processed foods, but I haven't completely excluded them out of my diet either.
In order to maintain this lifestyle "forever", for me, it is unrealistic to say that I will never eat a piece of candy or a rice crispy treat again. So, I will eat a treat or two several times a week. For example, on two different nites this week, I allowed myself 2 Bullseyes (creme-filled caramel candies). My darling husband likes to bring me boxes of Junior Mints or mini charleston chews. I throw them in the freezer and once in a while I will allow myself a serving (I think 14 of them?). Having said this, I realize that there are people out there who can not handle eating just 1 or 2 of something and I can't imagine how difficult this must make things :(

Opinions?

Replies

• JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i agree...cant completely deny yourself!
  • sargent1976
    sargent1976 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am trying to avoid snacks for as long as i can. Saying that i am definitely not planning on living without them. My problem is 1 cookie is not enough. I end up eating the whole packet and then hey presto, off the wagon. Since i joined MFP 66 days ago (not that i'm counting!) I haven't eaten any snacks. I'm too scared because i know how weak i am around tasty treats. Hopefully I will learn to eat them in moderation, but for the time being i have told myself 'i'm allergic'.
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    I see no problem in an occasional indulgence of a snack or what ever. but i guess its up to you if choose to be honest or not and put it in your diary. just my food for thought...lol
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I definitely cannot live the rest of my life with no treats or snacks. I'm working on the portion control of them though.. I have to realize that I will have another cookie again and that this is not my last serving of chips for the rest of my life so I DO NOT have to eat the whole package/bag of them!
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I agree about your comments on lifestyle change. I don't like to think that I cannot EVER have certain foods or treats again. If I want a chocolate bar, I try to choose a healthier version and eat it. If I really want that bag of twizlers, I have a few.

However, I actually think by not telling myself NO to everything, I find myself not craving junk. I did this with soda. Oh the New Year, I told myself I was going to drink more water, NOT I'm not going to have another soda. I never looked back, maybe once every week or so in the beginning I had a soda, but now it's every two to three weeks. Eventually, I probably will not ever want a soda.

My thoughts are this weight loss is going to be a slow and steady journey so should my eating habits.
  • helma62
    helma62 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How are you doing tracking both ww and mfp. I always did ww. But I do not like the new program. I gained 14lbs during medopause. I am down 5lbs. I was thinking of tracking both programs. But I would do the old program from ww. I notice when track only mfp, I eat higher fat.
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate and I am one that can eat one cookie, chocolate etc. and be satisfied! I also try and not eat processed foods. Speaking entitely for myself, this is a life change and I certainly will not limit myself, eat all but in moderation is my family moto!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is different. We have different goals, ideas, and way to make things work. I believe, do what works for YOU. The problem with snacks is that when you are limiting calories, you will have to replace a healthy, nutritious meal with empty calories. Which means your body may not get the nutrients it needs. I do have snacks on occasion. I take a few free meals a week, sometimes exceeding my calories in the process, but you are right. You need to find a way to make what you are doing, something you can do for life.
  • mckennamom
    mckennamom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way that you do. I don't want to think of this as a diet and then end up gaining the weight back. It would be unrealistic to believe that I am not going to eat another girl scout cookie, bag of popcorn, or other snack. I try to eat healthy throughout the day, but I do treat myself a few times a week. I keep Dove Dark chocolates in the freezer and 100 calorie bags of popcorn for those days when I really crave a treat. I have been tracking my food since June and have seen a big difference even on the days when I get too busy to log in. I have become very aware of appropriate serving sizes and can predict the days when I may be over on calories and need to add in a little extra cardio. My big goal was to find a way to balance my "diet" with my daily activity level.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have to realize that I will have another cookie again and that this is not my last serving of chips for the rest of my life so I DO NOT have to eat the whole package/bag of them!

I think that mindset is what really helped me. I tell myself that tomorrow is another day, with X amount more calories and if I want another one (of whatever), I can wait until tomorrow to have it. Sometimes I'll even portion it out and put my name on it so it's there for me and the kids don't eat it! Just knowing that it will be there tomorrow and I've given myself permission to have it again another day makes all the difference.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I denied myself all bad foods for 3 weeks, during that time I lost virtually nothing. Now I allow myself a takeaway once a month, a biscuit when I want one. Since doing that I lose weight consistantly now so it must work. Like you say this is something I am doing forever, not just the short term so I need to learn to work certain foods into my diet while still being able to lose the weight.
  • shreck1978
    Options
    Takes Will Power. Hard to accomplish when you are the only one trying to loose weight. Family will sabotage your efforts but not on purpose.

This was very hard for me to get started loosing weight, but I had a health reason for loosing weight. As the family realized I could not eat greasy or spicy foods, so the question is now? What can you or can he have for dinner when you come over?

Once you get them hooked it becomes easier. I learned a lot of the pitfalls and trick from Dr. Phils Books.

The Ultimate Weight Solution and Self Matters

As far as treas go I always keep in mind when i have treats how long it takes to burn off those extra calories, I call it self sabotage. But a little bit wont hurt. I have treats as rewards but not too excess. Buy your treats in small packages then your not tempted the next day.

Typically I don't bother with high calorie treats, candy is a no-no for me, my Doctor says my blood sugar is getting high and I don't eat candy or juice, only fruit.
  • lovehandles3076
    lovehandles3076 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree that you have to treat, yourself! For someone like me if I don't give myself that kind of stuff every once in a while I will just gorge the next time I get it. Like Sargent 1976 said 1 cookie just isn't enough! I guess that after you can adapt a healthy lifestyle, moderation is the key! I believe it is called a treat for a reason, reward yourself!
  • shreck1978
    Options
    Try Dark Chocolate or as pure as you can get, it good for you too. I always have some in the pantry.
  • Just1forMe
    Options
    I believe, do what works for YOU.

Me too!!!
    The problem with snacks is that when you are limiting calories, you will have to replace a healthy, nutritious meal with empty calories. Which means your body may not get the nutrients it needs.

I usually make myself "earn" the extra calories with exercise. I agree that if you are limited to 1200 calories and don't do any exercise to earn above and beyond, that you would be substituting empty calories for what I consider my "core" meal calories.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I snack constantly, rather than eat proper meals. Sometimes it's chocolate. I try to stay under fat and sugar.

A lot of vegan snacks are naturally quite low in fat, so it's not so much of an issue for me. What I'm resisting is firstly animal products, and I get less fat as a result of that. I think it's much easier to avoid animal products because I'm not thinking about me when I do it. It's hard to do things for yourself, when a part of yourself really wants to do it anyway.
  • Just1forMe
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I asked because even though I know it's right for me in order to sustain this lifestyle, I still feel "guilty" when I eat them!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I love goodies!!! And I like to think I eat them regularly, but in reality, I don't remember the last time I had a candy bar or piece of cake or a cookie. But in my mind, I know I CAN have cake, candy or cookies, and that makes me not feel any need to splurge.

I do have chocolate milk just about every night. And I love Nutella on an English muffin. Now that the weather is getting nicer, I'll have frozen yogurt some days. Caramel rice cakes are tasty. And all of those satisfy me without harming my calorie intake.
  • supercatie18
    supercatie18 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am a 'sweetsaholic'. I love sweets and there is no way that I could deny myself for a life time of sweets and desserts! Making a plan to do so would just be setting myself up for failure! What I often do is eat healthy balanced meals throughout the day, often do a cardio workout, and then eat whatever dessert I want a few days a week. I know that cutting out the desserts all together would probably make me drop pounds faster... but in the grand scheme of things I would rather be fit, healthy and still get to eat what I want every once in awhile. That sounds like a healthy lifestyle!!
  • katt2360
    katt2360 Posts: 12
    Options
    I buy the big bag of M&M and count out half the serving on the bag. Then I give myself that little bit of chocolate all day long, but not everyday. I think I will have to get a bag today.