Healthy Mexican Restaurant food

Options
I'm needing a little advice on what to order tonight at a mexican restaurant. I am so bad with the chips and queso and then usually order something bad. Do you guys have any good choices for mexican.
thanks
diana

Replies

• ohohraptor
    ohohraptor Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Usually I get fajitas and just don't eat the tortillas. Or try a taco salad w/o the chips?
  • pinkissheek
    pinkissheek Posts: 185
    Options
    I go for a single item and not a meal. All of the restaurants I go to have side orders and my normal order is a small guacamole dip and one taco or one burrito
  • heatherhart
    heatherhart Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I went last night for mexican & i ordered 2 tacos and it came with beans & rice. I split the meal with my son so it was half the calories! Good Luck & enjoy
  • JonDurf
    JonDurf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have found that you can usually get a carne asada burrito or grilled chicken burrito and be pretty happy. Basically try to get 1 large filling item and avoid all the snacking. Carne Asada typically has lots of grilled steak, guacamole (good fat) and pico de gallo. The burrito I get at my local place clocks in around 500-600 calories which is great for almost a 1/2 pound of food. Good luck.
  • LizzyTish327
    LizzyTish327 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I normally get the fajitas and ask for extra lettuce (so I can sort of make a fajita salad), eat the beans and give the sour cream, cheese, gaucamole and rice to my boyfriend...tastes delicious and can still be kind of high in calories but not as bad as some of the other items!
  • onefasternurse
    onefasternurse Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I typically get chicken and shrimp fajitas without the tortillas, sour cream or guac. I also get a chicken taco salad without the shell or cheese. To splurge I get an extra bowl for my chips to help control my portion. The salsa is good for ya tho:)
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I find that I do okay at Mexican restaurants if I skip the chips and the sides, and just eat my entree. Usually I will order either a taco salad (with sour cream and guacamole -- no dressing, if it's offered) or a chicken enchilada. Other people I know have good luck with fajitas, sans the tortillas (150 cal APIECE!) These items by themselves don't show up on my scale the next morning, if I make my calorie goal the rest of the day.

I usually log my taco salads (the kind that come in a crispy shell) as a Taco Bell taco salad (about 750 calories), and I figure that the crispy bowl is about 350 calories by itself (so whether I eat it depends on how the rest of the day has gone). Taco Bell seems to be about the worst case scenario. When I log my taco salads that way, my calories seem to come out all right for the day.

You can ask them not to bring chips to your table, but that only works if your whole party agrees. Otherwise you have to fall back on willpower and a big glass of water :ohwell:

Most Mexican restaurants have an a la carte menu, so that you can order individual items without sides.

Good luck!
  • hs2boys
    hs2boys Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thanks guys. that helps a lot. I will let you know how it goes.
    diana