Birthday Treats

Options
lklein
lklein Posts: 215 Member
So my birthday is a week from today, and I want to bring something into the office for my coworkers. I dont want the normal unhealthy cupcakes or cookies. I'm looking for something that lower in calories that still taste good. I'm thinking about any of these cookies, brownie, cupcakes, bread (like banna bread), or anything else you think would be easy for people to grab and go. All ideas are welcome!

Thanks a ton

Replies

• b_alanna
    b_alanna Posts: 15
    Options
    low cal banna nut muffins. they are yummy! and only 75 calories per muffin. Or my favorite. Pumpkin cookies. They are awesome but since i make them my self i have no idea how many calories are in them. Even though they seem pretty healthy.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Make a yogurt parfait in a nice glass bowl, layered with yogurt, berries and a low fat granola. Bring in some disposable cups/bowls to put it in.... YUM YUM!
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    For me, I absolutely love the "No Pudge" brownies. I wouldn't have them at home because I would eat the whole pan! But at least they are low in fat and lower in calories than traditional brownies. And they don't have the weird texture of brownies made with applesauce or something instead of fat. (You use yogurt in them.) You can find them in most supermarkets.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Angel lush cupcakes: http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/angel-lush-cupcakes-115431.aspx I've made the cake (delicious) and I've used small premade angel food bundt cakes too. Happy birthday!
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Coconut Cake with Buttercream Frosting

This coconut cake recipe is one of our readers all-time favorites. The frosting is also popular for several other cupcake and cake flavors like carrot, spice and basic white. Garnish the cake plate with sugar-frosted cranberries and rosemary sprigs.

Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

Ingredients
    Cake:
    Cooking spray
    1 tablespoon cake flour
    2 1/2 cups cake flour (about 10 ounces)
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 cups sugar
    6 tablespoons butter, softened
    1/4 cup egg substitute
    2 large eggs
    3/4 cup light coconut milk
    1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
    Frosting:
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup water
    5 large egg whites
    1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    1/4 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
    3 tablespoons toasted flaked sweetened coconut
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 350°.

To prepare cake, coat 3 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms of pans with wax paper. Lightly coat wax paper with cooking spray; dust pans with 1 tablespoon flour.

Lightly spoon 2 1/2 cups flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Place 2 cups sugar and 6 tablespoons butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes or until well blended. Add egg substitute and eggs to sugar mixture; beat well. Add flour mixture and coconut milk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon extract.

Spoon batter into prepared pans. Sharply tap the pans once on countertop to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on wire racks; remove from pans. Remove wax paper; discard. Cool cakes on wire racks.

To prepare frosting, combine 1 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes, without stirring, or until a candy thermometer registers 250°. Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; using clean, dry beaters, beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Pour hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low; continue beating until egg white mixture cools (about 12 minutes).

Beat 1/4 cup butter until light and fluffy; stir in 1/4 teaspoon extract, if desired. Fold in 1 cup egg white mixture. Fold butter mixture into remaining egg white mixture, stirring until smooth.

Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Repeat twice with cake layers and 1 cup frosting, ending with cake layer; spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Chill until set.

Nutritional Information

Calories:
    317 (25% from fat)
    Fat:
    8.8g (sat 5.5g,mono 0.3g,poly 0.2g)
    Protein:
    4.4g
    Carbohydrate:
    55.6g
    Fiber:
    0.4g
    Cholesterol:
    45mg
    Iron:
    1.9mg
    Sodium:
    267mg
    Calcium:
    10mg
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Lemon-Almond Cake with Lemon Curd Filling

Citrus and almond is a quintessential Mediterranean flavor combination, while the lemon curd filling is a traditional British dessert topping. And as with many Passover desserts, this cake gets its structure from beaten egg whites instead of chemical leaveners. Prepare the curd a day or two ahead of time (leftovers are delicious on ice cream or fruit). You can bake the cake earlier in the day and let it cool on a wire rack, but decorate with the curd and berries just before serving.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

Ingredients
    Cooking spray
    2 teaspoons matzo cake meal
    4 large egg yolks
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup matzo cake meal
    1 1/2 teaspoons water
    1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup blanched almonds, ground
    4 large egg whites
    1 cup Lemon Curd
    2 cups fresh raspberries
    Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Dust pan with 2 teaspoons matzo cake meal.

3. Place the egg yolks in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at high speed for 2 minutes. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until thick and pale (about 1 minute). Add 1/4 cup matzo cake meal, 1 1/2 teaspoons water, 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind, fresh lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; beat just until blended. Fold in the almonds.

4. Place egg whites in a large bowl. Using clean, dry beaters, beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-fourth of egg whites into egg yolk mixture; gently fold in remaining egg whites. Spoon batter into prepared pan.

5. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until golden brown and set. Cool for 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Run a knife around edge of cake. Remove cake from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack. (Cake will sink in center as it cools.) Spread 1 cup Lemon Curd in center of cake, and top with raspberries. Cut cake into wedges using a serrated knife. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    238 (25% from fat)
    Fat:
    6.6g (sat 2.1g,mono 2.7g,poly 1g)
    Protein:
    5.9g
    Carbohydrate:
    41.4g
    Fiber:
    2.7g
    Cholesterol:
    149mg
    Iron:
    1.1mg
    Sodium:
    123mg
    Calcium:
    36mg
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Banana-Raspberry Cake with Lemon Frosting

Mashed ripe banana adds moistness. The frosting, with cream cheese as its base, is similar to that of a traditional carrot cake.

Yield: 14 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

Ingredients
    Cake:
    Cooking spray
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    3 large eggs
    1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup low-fat buttermilk
    1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 bananas)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Frosting:
    3/4 cup (6 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, chilled
    2 tablespoons butter, softened
    2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Dash of salt
    2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
    1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries (optional)
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 350°.

To prepare the cake, coat 2 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray; dust each pan with 1 1/2 teaspoons flour.

Place granulated sugar and 1/4 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 3 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.

Lightly spoon 1 3/4 cups flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring well with a whisk.

Combine buttermilk, banana, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to the sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture (mix after each addition just until blended). Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake cake at 350° for 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Peel off wax paper. Cool layers completely on wire rack.

To prepare frosting, combine cream cheese, 2 tablespoons butter, rind, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and dash of salt in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at high speed until fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar; beat at low speed just until blended (do not overbeat).

Place 1 cake layer on a plate, and spread with 1/3 cup frosting. Arrange raspberries in a single layer over frosting, and top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator. Garnish with fresh raspberries, if desired.

Nutritional Information

Calories:
    289 (25% from fat)
    Fat:
    8g (sat 4.6g,mono 2.4g,poly 0.4g)
    Protein:
    4.5g
    Carbohydrate:
    51.7g
    Fiber:
    1.2g
    Cholesterol:
    60mg
    Iron:
    1mg
    Sodium:
    247mg
    Calcium:
    65mg
  • haulinbuns
    haulinbuns Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Here's a breakfast coffee cake that is really good, I have made it a few times and no one knows it's low fat

Ingredients

* Cooking spray
    * 1 cup all-purpose flour
    * 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or regular whole-wheat flour
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 3 tablespoons sugar
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    * 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    * 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    * 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
    * 2 tablespoons canola oil
    * 2 large eggs
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
    * 1 cup fresh blueberries, or frozen and thawed

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch square cake pan with cooking spray.

Whisk together the all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, the baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, stir together the granulated sugar, cinnamon and walnuts. In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, butter and oil until fluffy. If necessary, use the back of a spoon to press out any lumps in the brown sugar. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until fully combined. Beat in the vanilla and yogurt.

Add the flour mixture in 2 batches, stirring until just combined.

Spread half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle half of the nut mixture over the batter and top with the blueberries, gently pressing them into the batter. Spoon the rest of the batter into the pan, smoothing the top. Sprinkle the remaining nut mixture over the cake, pressing gently. Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool slightly and then unmold and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack. Cut the cake into 2-inch squares.

Per Serving

(serving size, 1 piece)

Calories 210; Total Fat 8.5 g; (Sat Fat 2 g, Mono Fat 2.5 g, Poly Fat 3 g) ; Protein 5 g; Carb 30 g; Fiber 2 g; Cholesterol 41 mg; Sodium 230 mg
  • Postergirl82
    Options
    Bunny Coconut Cake (serves 18)

I box of white cake mix
    1 can of diet 7 up
    1 egg white

Mix together and pour into a 9x13 pan, bake @ 350 for 32-37 minutes. While cake is baking mix up:

1/2 cup light coconut milk
    1/2 cup fat free sweetened condensed milk
    (I normally nuke in microwave for 15-30 seconds just so it is easy to pour)

When cake is done and still warm poke holes in it with a wooden spoon handle and pour coconut milk mixture over top. Refridgerate overnight. Before serving sprinkle with 1/2 cup of shredded coconut, then spread with 1 container of light cool whip, and follow up with another 1/2 cup of shredded coconut.

Cut into 18 pieces and enjoy! One of our favorites in out house and not too bad for a cake.

When I entered it into this site this is what I got:

202 calories per slice
    6 grams of fat per slice
  • awyler
    awyler Posts: 78
    Options
    Better Than Sex Cake

Ingredients:
    1 box devil's food cake mix
    10 ounces diet cola
    1 egg white
    6 ounces fat free caramel topping
    7 ounces fat free sweetened condensed milk
    8 ounces Heath english toffee bits, divided
    8 ounces fat free cool whip

Directions:
    1. Mix cake mix, egg white, and diet soda.
    2. Bake as directed in a greased 9 x 13 pan.
    3. During the last few minutes of baking, put caramel and condensed milk in a saucepan and stir on medium low heat until smooth.
    4. Take cake out of oven, and poke holes all over the top. (I use wooden skewer or end of hand mixer beater)
    5. Pour warm caramel mixture over warm cake, filling in the holes.
    6. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the Heath bits over the top, reserving the rest for the top.
    7. Cool completely.
    8. "Frost" with cool whip and sprinkle with remaining Heath bits.
    9. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Serves 24

Per serving:
    Calories; 172.7
    Total Fat: 4.6 g
    Cholesterol: 3.8 mg
    Sodium: 60.2 mg
    Total Carbs: 32.2 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.6 g
    Protein: 2.2
    WW Points: 3