Girls and weights

Options
Jenn728
Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
Does the amount of weights used in strength training and cardio affect how much weight is lost?

My fiance seems to think that I'm not losing weight because I'm using bigger weights now and building muscle.

What do you think?

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting! And lifting hard.

It's extremely difficult to actually build muscle, especially for women. Working those muscles actually helps you burn more calories than cardio alone!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are in a caloric deficit diet. (burn more than you eat) then you will not be gaining muscle. Even if you ate maintenance to a slight surplus it is very difficult for women to gain a any significant amount of muscle due to low testosterone levels.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    You might start gaining weight from lifting at first, but you will be losing fat at the same time. So although the scale might be a higher number, your body composition will benefit (less fat, more muscle).

Continue to lift at the rate you are and see what happens in a month. If you like what is happening then continue doing what you are doing. From what I've read though, heigh weights with low reps is most beneficial.
  • kwaterhouse
    kwaterhouse Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting pretty heavy weights now for about 5 weeks and I've lost 10 pounds so far. I say keep going!! :)
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll! I don't know much about this but that makes sense!

I'll just keep doing what I'm doing :)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Continue to lift. Yes, the scale may show a slower "weight" loss. But like already mentioned, you will be changing your body composition. Many women are not satisfied with their weight loss, because they are still flabby. They didn't exercise at all or didn't want to lift weights. Don't put yourself in that same position. Lift.