HIIT Workout - Running

Options
I'm looking for suggestions on a high intensity interval workout. It's such a nice day I want to get some track work in today. It's been years since I've done track work but I know it's the best way to drop my pace. I'm newer to running... I'm at 40 minutes straight at a 4-5 mph. Any suggestions?? I love advice!

Replies

• blittle40
    blittle40 Posts: 31
    Options
    There are 2 that I've done and absolutely loved..the first one is Turbo Fire by Chalene Johnson and Insanity by Shaun T.....both are HIIT but totally different....I've seen success with both of them as well..as a matter of fact I'm considering doing turbo fire again soon
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are running on a track you can sprint for 200M (half way around) then walk for 100m then run 200 again, or do a slow jog the rest of the way (200M), then repeat. Keep repeating for 15-20 minutes after you warm up.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for suggestions on a high intensity interval workout. It's such a nice day I want to get some track work in today. It's been years since I've done track work but I know it's the best way to drop my pace. I'm newer to running... I'm at 40 minutes straight at a 4-5 mph. Any suggestions?? I love advice!
    Actually, just more running and working on running form/efficiency will improve your pace and endurance in the long run. Doing intervals all the time, you're just looking for trouble with injuries.

I've been running over a year now, and still only do intervals once a week, sometimes every other week.
  • tristahenry
    tristahenry Posts: 175
    Options
    I run every other day, no more than 3-4 miles per day with a rest day every 5 days. I'm taking things very slow because I am prone to injury. I usually cross train with boxing, yoga or low weights on my off days. I wanted to add just a bit of intervals and/or hills so I don't get bored. I work out on an extended 10 day week and would only add the interval/hill on the 10th day of my week.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I run every other day, no more than 3-4 miles per day with a rest day every 5 days. I'm taking things very slow because I am prone to injury. I usually cross train with boxing, yoga or low weights on my off days. I wanted to add just a bit of intervals and/or hills so I don't get bored. I work out on an extended 10 day week and would only add the interval/hill on the 10th day of my week.
    That's a good plan then.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I did P90X and am now doing Insanity. I've taken 2 minutes on my MPM for a 5K and 1:30 off my 10K time. Both programs have made a remarkable difference in my running. My knee pain is gone and I'm stronger and faster. I rock on hills and feel great when I'm done.
  • tristahenry
    tristahenry Posts: 175
    Options
    Sounds like I need to get myself a copy of P90X. Thanks for all the thoughts!