Water

Options
Hi guys, was wondering, i watched something on the tv before and it said don't drink water half hr before or after a meal, as it flushes the food through your system and you don't get all the nutrients from it, what you all reckon ?? still learning, even though i feel Ive learned so much these last 10 days there's still heaps to learn.

Thanks for all your support, and making this a joy to be hear.

Sarah

:bigsmile:

Replies

• SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, was wondering, i watched something on the tv before and it said don't drink water half hr before or after a meal, as it flushes the food through your system and you don't get all the nutrients from it, what you all reckon ?? still learning, even though i feel Ive learned so much these last 10 days there's still heaps to learn.

Thanks for all your support, and making this a joy to be hear.

Sarah

:bigsmile:

here not hear sorry lol
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    That's an interesting thought, I'm not sure. I've always been told that drinking a glass of water before a meal helps you to feel fuller quicker so you don't over indulge. But I'm sure someone here with a bit more knowledge than me will have the correct answer.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    no clue... i drink water all day b/c its all i drink and im always thirsty lol
  • Noz7
    Noz7 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I pretty much drink when I'm thirsty and figure that my body needs water more than it needs food (you live a few days only without water).
    But Mum used to say that drinking lots of water wasn't good because it diluted your saliva and stomach acids. Saliva is important to begin the process of digestion of carbohydrates.
    I wouldn't worry, but I also wouldn't try to suppress my appetite by drinking while eating; rather drink as you need.
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Now that I should be drinking 100 oz of water, I drink water with all my meals...haven't noticed any problems of feeling more hungry than if I had drunk something else with my meal, thats jus my 2cents!!!:glasses: :glasses:
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    water, regardless of how full or empty your stomach is, goes straight through the stomach into the small intestine. so, while drinking water with a meal doesn't add bulk, it does slow down the eating. food takes several minutes to get through the esophagus into the stomach, and you don't feel full until enough is in the stomach to make it expand. by eating more slowly you give your stomach time to fill up, and your less likely to over eat.

the water also loosens up the food and pushes it through the esophagus more quickly, but it also speeds up digestion, so you feel hungry again sooner. by not anything with a meal it takes longer to digest so you can go longer between meals.
  • mrstrouty
    mrstrouty Posts: 15
    Options
    That's interesting, but i've always been told the more water the better. It does cut down on the hunger pangs between meals.
  • SteveC_71
    SteveC_71 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Like soysos said water just passes straight through. I saw a programme where they gave one group of people a roast dinner and a glass of water and the others the same but blended it into a soup. They then scanned their stomachs an hour later and the soup group had a fuller stomach as the the body couldn't easily filter of the water content so the meal was relatively bigger.

Also bear in mind that the body isn't very good at telling you if it's hungry or thirsty. Very often the feeling of hungry is actually thirst. So if you feel hungry in your mouth rather than your stomach (if that makes sense) try drinking first.

If your drinking because you're feeling thirsty your drinking too late, if you drink regularly through out the day you should never feel too thirst.