Curves... grrr

Options
*WARNING* I really need to vent

ARGH! Curves (Hyde Park, Chicago) is starting to tick me off. For the second time this week, they were late opening. On Monday they were 15 minutes late and because I wanted to finish my workout, I was late for work. Today, I had to leave before they even showed up. Even though I live in a pretty safe neighborhood (the Obamas are my neighbors), at 6 AM it was too dark outside to do a walk to make up for what I didn't get from Curves, and now I don't have time to work out later today/tonight.

This on top of the fact that when they are open on time, all of the staff are too darn chatty when I'm trying to work out. I mean, I get that they want the environment to be friendly and supportive, but give me a break! I go there because of the location, hours of operation and because I feel comfortable with the circuit. Not to join a hen party.

I'm seriously considering moving over to Bally's.

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You should let the owner of the gym know that you are considering terminating your contract due to late openings. If you don't get any help from th owner, go over his head. Curves is a franchised gym chain, so you can complain to corporate if needed.

I'd be as annoyed as you are!
  • zamiesgirl
    Options
    Its funny I went to Curves in OC California to sign up. Thought it might be nice training. I met with the women to do my body calculations. She ask me what goal I would like to get to. I told her 150-160. She had the nerve to tell me I would never reach my goal that at my age it was harder to lose the weight. I am only 42. Needless to say she lost my business. I went to 24 hr fitness
  • beautymkt
    beautymkt Posts: 60
    Options
    WHAT!!!! I agree with all of you. Curves was a great place at one time to work out and get your goals met from the support of staff, etc. It's no longer that way!! Planet Fitness here in the northeast has circuit training (30minute workout) available. So I gave up on Curves and joined Planet Fitness. I like it when you can get your workout done and get out!! I'm also 42 years old and have no trouble losing my weight and inches off my body. Yes, it may be harder, but you can do it!!
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    DO NOT GO TO BALLY's.

I repeat: DO NOT GO TO BALLY's. If you *ever* decide to leave, even if your contract is up - and yes, they make you sign a contract - they will hound the ever lovin' crap out of you, send you to collections who will then pass you around for 30 years even AFTER you go to court and show that they have no right to continue to bother you.

http://www.complaints.com/directory/2006/april/1/8.htm
    http://www.complaints.com/directory/2004/may/25/34.htm

Those are just two random ones - just google Bally's and hate. You'll find a bunch. I've been through this, I've gone to court with them, WON!! And it's been TWELVE YEARS and they are STILL trying to pester me.

Save yourself the trouble. Find a Gold's, a 24 Hour Fitness, complain to Curve's management.. anything. Just don't go to Bally's. It's not worth it.
  • tsgaddy
    tsgaddy Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    DO NOT GO TO BALLY's.

I repeat: DO NOT GO TO BALLY's. If you *ever* decide to leave, even if your contract is up - and yes, they make you sign a contract - they will hound the ever lovin' crap out of you, send you to collections who will then pass you around for 30 years even AFTER you go to court and show that they have no right to continue to bother you.

http://www.complaints.com/directory/2006/april/1/8.htm
    http://www.complaints.com/directory/2004/may/25/34.htm

Those are just two random ones - just google Bally's and hate. You'll find a bunch. I've been through this, I've gone to court with them, WON!! And it's been TWELVE YEARS and they are STILL trying to pester me.

Save yourself the trouble. Find a Gold's, a 24 Hour Fitness, complain to Curve's management.. anything. Just don't go to Bally's. It's not worth it.

Wow - consider me warned! I just mentioned them because they're also within walking distance of me as Curves is, but I can totally find another gym that won't harass me. Thanks!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Its funny I went to Curves in OC California to sign up. Thought it might be nice training. I met with the women to do my body calculations. She ask me what goal I would like to get to. I told her 150-160. She had the nerve to tell me I would never reach my goal that at my age it was harder to lose the weight. I am only 42. Needless to say she lost my business. I went to 24 hr fitness

Good call!!!

An office colleague of mine goes to a UK-based "Curves" and the things she gets told by "staff" are extraordinary in terms of lack of basic training knowledge and general levels of ignorance. The people who run the place don't have a bloody clue!!

My colleague has gone there for over two years and looks no different to when she started!!

Go to join a proper gym girl. :drinker:
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options
    DO NOT GO TO BALLY's.

EVERY MAJOR CHAIN/BUSINESS has complaints

I have been a member of Ballys for 20+ years...I signed a contract and as long as I paid my bill and didnt try to get out of it, I had no issues.... Funny how that works..... Ive used Ballys in at least 10 states with nary an issue.... Im not fond about the one closest to my home, seems others got remodeled and this one got left off the list.

Curves in my area seem to open & close as the wind blows.... Golds Gym went out of biz giving its members 3 days notice....
  • WarriorJayne
    Options
    i tried curves, and fell out of love with them. it didnt give me enough payback bodily. the staff was nice, but i felt like such an outsider there. And several of them have closed.

You might try your local YMCA. thats where we ended up going and I really like it.

As for Ballys, im really sorry you had a terrible experience. Everyone has the right to be able to be let out of their contract if something comes up (need to move, lack of funds, unhappy with the company) and not be hounded. ESPECIALLY after youve gone to court to have them stop.