Salsa?

Options
sarahs440
sarahs440 Posts: 405
I am going to get some of my absolute favorite salsa today. I usually eat it with Plain Lay's potato chips, but obviously that is not a choice anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can enjoy this snack in a more healthy way? TIA

Replies

• catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Kettle chips are always a good choice. Baked Lays are low cal as well.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I love salsa on baked potatoes, You can cut up and bake wholewheat tortillas and dip them in salsa.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Pita chips!!!! Yumm much better for you... you can also make your own corn chips...

Buy some corn tortillas

cut them into fours (a serving is three tortillas so it ends up being 12 chips)

melt some butter or use oil and spread a thin layer over your tortillas... sprinkle some salt.. or not... and bake until they are crispy...

the chips end up being abotu 100-120 calories... and much healthier because you control how they are made.
  • charity94
    charity94 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You could try a whole wheat pita, cut into slices, and baked till crispy. I think this alternative to tortilla chips is also yummy with hummus. I hope you like it!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Pita chips or yellow corn tortilla chips (carefully counted out!) or blue corn tortilla chips.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I like to top quesadillas with salsa. A quesadilla on whole wheat tortilla without an over abundance of cheese... topped with salsa YUM!
  • joshiesdad
    Options
    Baked Scoops.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I use salsa on my salad as the dressing along with some spicy sliced homemade chicken breasts. Makes an awsome taco salad (minus the "taco", ha ha).
    We also bake whole wheat tortillas until crisp to have with salsa, and I often use it to top a small baked potato.

I absolutely love it so try to use it whenever possible!
  • GettingFit45
    GettingFit45 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    my fav snack is a couple tablespoons salsa with a couple tablespoons of low fat cottage cheese and thin Triscuits! Delish! (10 thin triscuits have 90 cals!)
  • Rebeccasluckyduck
    Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    On eggs in the morning. Yum!
  • xerinx2011
    xerinx2011 Posts: 222
    Options
    I like to cook a chicken breast in salsa.. i do it in the slow cooker but can be done in the oven too. Just pour the salsa over the chicken and bake until the chicken is cooked. Tastes yummy with rice and veggies!
  • nikkigiesige
    Options
    NEW!!! Special K Cracker Chips!!! They are delicious!!! Never had them with salsa, but im sure they would be great...And they are only 110 calories in 30 chips. I eat them everyday, and love them!
  • sweetpea_73
    Options
    I dip baby carrots or carrot slices in the salsa for a super crispy and low cal treat. Also, I like light lays chips... half the calories of regular chips.
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    WOW!! So many ideas I never even thought of! I guess my mind was still set in regulars lay's! Thanks everyone!!!!
  • jleegirl
    jleegirl Posts: 44
    Options
    I use salsa on my salad as the dressing along with some spicy sliced homemade chicken breasts. Makes an awsome taco salad (minus the "taco", ha ha).

That sounds pretty good. I don't like most salad dressings, so I need more options! Thanks :glasses:
  • Hemis_mom
    Hemis_mom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    This sounds delish I will have to give it a try!
  • Hemis_mom
    Hemis_mom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    We also bake whole wheat tortillas until crisp to have with salsa, and I often use it to top a small baked potato.

I absolutely love it so try to use it whenever possible!

Let me try this again I need to try this it sounds awesome!!
  • Idahoheartmom
    Options
    I just discovered wasa crackers. I wouldn't be able to eat them plain, but I love them with salsa! I got the 7 grain ones. They are the size of 2 saltines and only 20 cals each!
  • loriefolk
    loriefolk Posts: 352
    Options
    Maybe find an alternative to Salsa? Salsa is super high in Sodium and opt for a cracker made with whole wheat :)
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    What a bunch of chiliheads. It takes one to know one. I like mine with a spoon. Try making your own!