Biggest Loser

PeachyKeene
PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
edited September 25 in Chit-Chat
I think I should not have joined my gym's biggest loser contest. I see people losing 25 pounds in 7 weeks. I was trying to do this the slow and healthy way. BUT, I want to win this thing, so now I have barely ate this week. Mostly, tuna, boiled eggs, and a lot of coffee. I have drop almost 7 pounds in less than a week. I know this is so not healthy, but what am I to do? We have about 5 weeks left, I think I may continue what I am doing now, and get back on track after we are done. What do you all think I should do?

Replies

• i can't wait to read other comments posted on this because that's a good question. i've always heard though the faster you lose it, the faster you will gain it back. it's so hard to take it slow when everyone around you is doing so well. that's my problem. but i have to remember i don't have as much to lose so i'm going to lose it slower anyway. just keep this in the back of your mind - weight loss and keeping it off is a lifestyle change forever!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    That is such a tough call because I would sure like to lose weight faster than I am now but know slow is the way to go. I'll play devils advocate and say if you can do it for a few weeks and lose fast, without making your body feel neglected...GO FOR IT! I'm sure plenty of people won't agree but it's really a personal decision and as long as you feel like you can do it and then go back to normal afterwards, do what you want. Just be careful afterwards...if you increase intake too much too fast you might gain a big chunk back! :bigsmile:
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    id do the healthy way, otherwise u'll be tempted to eat things u shouldnt and u'll b lacking in energy, why don't u just up ur exercise with healthy eating thats what i'd do:smile:
  • plagirl227
    plagirl227 Posts: 134
    Try to win! ;-) I just finished something like that at the Y. The winning lady lost 33 pounds in 9 weeks. Her prize was 3 free personal training sessions and a $100 gift certificate to Charm City Run (one of those sneaker stores that fit you to running shoes). Wish I'd have won... I only lost 12.5 pounds, but I'm glad for those 12.5!
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    it is possible to loose weight fast and for it to stay off if you are doing it CORRECTLY, you see people on the biggest loser tv show doing it, but that is because they are so over weight and unhealthy their body burns significantly more calories a day just caring that around plus they go from eating 5-6 thousad calories a day, to a more reasonable plan of 15-2000 thousand, additionally they are in the gym SEVERAL hours a day. Starving your body will only cause a delay in your weight loss teach you unhealthy habits Losing weight isn't about a game its about your life, and that is no joke, weither its getting healthier toning up, sure play some games have fun while you do it but it should never be at the expensive of doing it the healthy way.
  • mnowens
    mnowens Posts: 71
    What is your exercise routine like?

Also, how much water are you drinking? For your weight you should be drinking 97oz per day, PLUS one cup for every cup of coffee you're drinking. Coffee is a diuretic. Hydration is VERY important for healthy weight loss.
    If you are dehydrated your body will retain water, just like when you starve yourself you body will hold on to fat. Same concept.

Hope that helps :)
  • PeachyKeene
    id do the healthy way, otherwise u'll be tempted to eat things u shouldnt and u'll b lacking in energy, why don't u just up ur exercise with healthy eating thats what i'd do:smile:

I am eating healthy, just a lot less of it. Funny thing is I feel satisfied. I wish I could exercise more, I have three teenagers, soccer, baseball, and golf. I am always on the go, plus, I work full time, a very active member of our local Lions club. I don't have much time for me.
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    They joy of winning only last a little while. You need to put taking care of your self first. Yes, it's great to lose it fast, but in my experience, losing it fast means it comes back..Take it slow, give your body time to get accustomed to the changes you are making, and it is much easier to maintain the weight loss. You don't want to shock your body.. It has taken me almost two years to lose 35 pounds, but it's not coming back. It's rough. I get impatient some times. But I know I'm on the right track!
  • PeachyKeene

Also, how much water are you drinking? For your weight you should be drinking 97oz per day, PLUS one cup for every cup of coffee you're drinking. Coffee is a diuretic. Hydration is VERY important for healthy weight loss.
    If you are dehydrated your body will retain water, just like when you starve yourself you body will hold on to fat. Same concept.

I struggle to drink 64 oz. I feel I am drinking all the time, I don't guzzle, I sip, I guess that is my biggest problem.
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    I also think that it's a personal choice so I'm not gonna say one way or the other really! If I had enough willpower to do it the fast way then I sure would! If you want to do it the healthy way (and have enough time) then try your best to burn more calories then you take in! On the Biggest Loser show they basically eat their daily calorie allowance and up to 300 calories more, and they try to burn more calories than they eat. Try your best to get your heart rate up to your target and you will burn more calories than if you don't! Easier said then done, I know! :)
  • PeachyKeene
    Thanks, everyone! I appreciate everyone commenting and giving me some feedback. :smile:
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297

I struggle to drink 64 oz. I feel I am drinking all the time, I don't guzzle, I sip, I guess that is my biggest problem.

I had that problem too. It was so hard to drink the water I needed. I went Monday and bought a 24 oz water bottle with a wide mouth, and since I have been using it, it has been so much easier to get all my water. I think it's because it's a smaller bottle and I'm not sitting there looking at 32oz that I have to get down. I drink it, then refill it. I got the bottle at Wal-Mart for 5 bucks..
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Personally to me, it would depend on the grand prize...now if the winner got a trip (to somewhere nice) or a grand prize of 10,000 dollars. Losing a lot of weight in a short period of time MIGHT be worth it. :tongue:
This discussion has been closed.