Abs Abs Abs

Options
So I am doing good losing the weight doing cardio, but I need to start working on my abs. Does anyone have any advice other than sit ups. They hurt my back.

Replies

• GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    i'm going to get one of those "power tower" machines (very inexpensive)... so i can do the captain's chair exercise (kind of like knee raises)... i hear it's one of the best ab exercises!
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Crunches, planks, mountain climbers, reverse crunches, leg lifts, knee raises, oblique twists, side planks, bird dogs, jackknifes, rollouts, prone cobras, dumbbell chops, back extensions, russian twists, hip crossovers, etc. Go to any fitness site like Fitclick.com or Womenshealth.com and they'll have dozens of exercises for your abs. I like fitclick.com because they have video tutorials, as well as a written description of the exercises. Don't forget to do some lower back exercises to strengthen your core all the way around!
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Crunches, planks, mountain climbers, reverse crunches, leg lifts, knee raises, oblique twists, side planks, bird dogs, jackknifes, rollouts, prone cobras, dumbbell chops, back extensions, russian twists, hip crossovers, etc. Go to any fitness site like Fitclick.com or Womenshealth.com and they'll have dozens of exercises for your abs. I like fitclick.com because they have video tutorials, as well as a written description of the exercises. Don't forget to do some lower back exercises to strengthen your core all the way around!
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    ok i do a few exercises trying to target different parts of the abs. as for crunches you might try using one of those big exercise balls under your legs. you know with your legs bent and the ball underneath. I also do hanging leg raises from the chair at the gym. if your gym doesn't have a chair ( i dont know what the real name is ...lol ) then i guess you can either lie on the floor and do them that way. I also grab either a weight plate say 5 or 10 bounds or use a one of the heavy medicine balls to do trunk twists. i usually do 4 sets of 15-20 per exercise. working so far... hope this helps.

James
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack is a really good ab workout!
  • klshannon12
    klshannon12 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will check out the website. Jillian Michaels might kill me I have one of her videos and I about die everytime I do it.
  • ski3r4life
    ski3r4life Posts: 206
    Options
    I can't do sit-ups either without proper support, they just annoy me so much and they're so uncomfortable that I don't enjoy them! And I can't stand crunches either... I REALLY like oblique twists :)
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Someone mentioned it, but planks and side planks are killer.