CRAVINGS!!! Help me!

Options
I have horrible cravings especially after I work out or when Im driving. I know I can use fruits and veggies as snacks, but they just dont cut it! Often Im looking for the salty, crunchy snacks like nuts and crakers or sweet snack like debbies or dried fruit.

Please help me! What are some low-calorie snack ideas so I dont eat 800 calories in snacks when I go on my craving episode lol. Convenience is key as well.

Replies

• musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    When I'm craving sweets I always go for fresh fruit...if you're really craving salty, go for a handful of sunflower seeds! I often keeps sunflower seeds near me in case I get a salt craving!! A full serving is a quarter of a cup, and I generaly don't even eat that before my salt craving goes away! Hope this helps a little :)
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of the week, I pop a big old bag of Jollytime Blast o Butter popcorn. I take 2 cups every day to work for a snack, and it's only 90 calories for 2 cups. That keeps my salty cravings at bay.
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You may be super surprised but one serving of pork rinds might do you all the difference! I buy spicy el mexicano brand and they have:

Calories: 80
    total fat: 5g
    Sat. fat: 1.5
    Cholest.: 15mg
    Sodium: 120mg
    Total carb: 0
    Detary fiber: 0
    Sugars: 0
    Protein: 9g
  • musicgirl88
    Options
    When I'm craving sweets I always go for fresh fruit...if you're really craving salty, go for a handful of sunflower seeds! I often keeps sunflower seeds near me in case I get a salt craving!! A full serving is a quarter of a cup, and I generaly don't even eat that before my salt craving goes away! Hope this helps a little :)

P.S. usually 1 Tbs = about 50 calories! sometimes easier to go by Tbs because if you're like me it's hard to measure out a quarter cup LOL
  • MNCPRGuy
    MNCPRGuy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The new dessert gums from Extra might help you on the sweet side. I really like the mint chip ice cream gum.
  • musicgirl88
    Options

P.S. usually 1 Tbs = about 50 calories! sometimes easier to go by Tbs because if you're like me it's hard to measure out a quarter cup LOL
  • Tyva
    Tyva Posts: 34
    Options

OOOO I like that sunfllower seed idea. I think that may do the trick! THANKS!!!
  • lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    world gourmet sensible portions ..cinnamon apple straws and bbq potato straws they are super good 38 of them for 130 calories.try them it sounds weird but they taste great you can buy them at walmart
  • Tamiash
    Tamiash Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I nice hard juicy apple helps me. It has to be a fugi, gala. I forget the other one, Kroger has them on sale for 99 cents a lb now. They have to be FIRM in order for me to be satisfied. Full of fiber and will help you to get over your craving.
  • Tyva
    Options
    You may be super surprised but one serving of pork rinds might do you all the difference! I buy spicy el mexicano brand and they have:

OH WOW!! See thats exactly what Im talking about. Foods like those would keep me on track.
  • Tyva
    Options
    The new dessert gums from Extra might help you on the sweet side. I really like the mint chip ice cream gum.

Never had those, definitely gotta try em. Especially since Ima gum chewer.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I grab a bottle of water and drink it. By the time I am done with it my cravings are gone. Then I can go for what is healthy instead of what my taste buds tell me to go for.
  • AQHAShowgirl
    AQHAShowgirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options

I love that stuff too!! I have to get a friend to ship it to me as it's not available in Canada. The Key Lime Pie is yummy too. Now if they would make a Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake flavor...I would be in heaven. :love:
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options

OH WOW!! See thats exactly what Im talking about. Foods like those would keep me on track.

Me too!! I'm cutting out carbs but I love the salty crunchy yummieness and lets be realistic if you feel like your cheating but really aren't your morale will stay high!
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    When I have a sweet craving I go for strawberries or apples cut up into some fat free Greek yogurt (I get Chobani) with a little sprinkle of brown sugar. For salty, I go for Special K Cracker Chips.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I have horrible cravings especially after I work out or when Im driving. I know I can use fruits and veggies as snacks, but they just dont cut it! Often Im looking for the salty, crunchy snacks like nuts and crakers or sweet snack like debbies or dried fruit.

Please help me! What are some low-calorie snack ideas so I dont eat 800 calories in snacks when I go on my craving episode lol. Convenience is key as well.
    Well lets break down the cravings and the foods to help remedy that
    *sweets, post workout drink 1-2 cups of 1% choc milk 5-10 mins post workout, then about 15 mins drink a protein shake with some fruit in it*
    *salty- to remedy this eat a few almonds with the shake or take an omega 3 fish oil supplement*
    *Crackers buy some wasa rye crisps, if you are still craving crackers eat 1 of these topped with some hummus*

if you are just a week or 2 into this then the body is still having withdrawal from sugar and salt ladden diets, it will take some time to get off it and onto the healthier options. The choc milk by the way is one of the best means of recovering post workout but only drink it right after the workout, the sugar will go directly to the muscles and not to the waistline.
  • Tyva
    Options
    world gourmet sensible portions ..cinnamon apple straws and bbq potato straws they are super good 38 of them for 130 calories.try them it sounds weird but they taste great you can buy them at walmart

That sounds like something I can keep in the car for my "car cravings". It so weird, I never knew I craved things while driving. Amazing what you learn about your eating habits when you have to keep track of them lol.
  • Tyva
    Options
    if you are just a week or 2 into this then the body is still having withdrawal from sugar and salt ladden diets, it will take some time to get off it and onto the healthier options.

You are right, Ive been doing this for a week now. I know about about 4-5 weeks it will get easier bcuz Ive done it before but MAN! Im having a time with it lol. Ima have to look up " wasa rye crisps " They sound like they may suppress my "crunchy" tendancy.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    very crunchy cracker high fiber low cal, great choice and try my other tips it will make a big difference.
  • Tyva
    Options
    Thank you everyone for coming to my rescue. I will definitely have to use some of these techniques bcuz lil debbies and dried fruit arent cutting it! lol:laugh: