under limit but not losing?

Options
2»

Replies

• AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options

Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. Like pp said "A pound is a pound is a pound" Muscle is more dense therefore takes up less space, but it doesn't weigh more per pound....that's silly. And comparing calories in chocolate and carrots is completely ridiculous and irrelevant.

Agree with this statement. Muscle is more dense, than fat. One pound of fat = One pound of muscle.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. Like pp said "A pound is a pound is a pound" Muscle is more dense therefore takes up less space, but it doesn't weigh more per pound....that's silly. And comparing calories in chocolate and carrots is completely ridiculous and irrelevant.

Agree with this statement. Muscle is more dense, than fat. One pound of fat = One pound of muscle.

Then you and I weigh the same because 1 lb of you weighs the same as 1 lb of me, how does that make sense. In equal volumes muscle weighs more than fat, there for the statment muscle weighs more than fat is accurate as it implys by volume muscle weighs more than fat.

If you think they weigh the same, do you think carrots and chocolate have the same calories because 100 cals of chocolate is the same as 100 cals of carrots? Because something is more dense imply that it weighs more it is physics, higher density in equal volumes will always weigh more than an equal volume of something less dense. Always did and always will.
  • shappy22
    shappy22 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey same boat here. I only have around 10 lbs to lose and it sure is frustrating. Just weighed myself and I've gained from last week! I tell myself it's just water as I notice my clothes are looser. I think the hard part is keep on and long range the weight will drop. Funny thing is a couple of years ago I was at my skinniest of my adult life and I couldn't gain weight--even when I ate junk. Sometimes the body is a mystery --but the most important thing is the long range target and not to get upset with short term fluctuations--that's what I tell myself.
  • ztkraf01
    ztkraf01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Then you and I weigh the same because 1 lb of you weighs the same as 1 lb of me, how does that make sense. In equal volumes muscle weighs more than fat, there for the statment muscle weighs more than fat is accurate as it implys by volume muscle weighs more than fat.

If you think they weigh the same, do you think carrots and chocolate have the same calories because 100 cals of chocolate is the same as 100 cals of carrots? Because something is more dense imply that it weighs more it is physics, higher density in equal volumes will always weigh more than an equal volume of something less dense. Always did and always will.

eric you're right. it all depends on volume. when people say muscle ways more than fat they're saying it when volume is constant. everyone knows one pound of anything equals one pound of anything else. that's not the point people are making. in other words you can be fat and look big weighing 200 lbs. but say you slim down, you lose a ton of fat, gain muscle and still weigh 200 lbs. at this point you look slim and not big but still weigh the same and therefore muscle weighs more per unit volume.

calories are a bad example because cals are units of energy. have nothing to do with volume or weight or mass

bridget, you said "weighs more per pound." careful because weight is already measured in lbs. i think you meant some unit of volume
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options

The problem is "weight" is a measure of mass, not how much space that mass takes up. "Density" is the measure of how tightly packed that mass is, ie how much volume it takes up. 1 pound of feathers takes up a lot more space than 1 pound of lead, but they still both weigh 1 pound. The difference is that feathers are a lot less dense than the lead. Similarly 1 pound of fat and 1 pound of muscle weigh the same, ie. they have the same mass, but muscle is much more dense than fat, takes up less volume, and thus is substantially smaller on a person. So I as at 5'10" male could weigh 185 pounds and if it was mostly fat I would be quite a bit larger than if my body fat % was 10% and most of that weight was muscle, but no matter what, I would still weigh 185 pounds.

As for gaining muscle on a caloric deficit, it is possible especially if you are completely untrained. The simple fact that your muscles are working and having demands put on them will bring some growth as long as there is sufficient protein and other nutrients. You will not gain huge amounts of muscle though. I am living proof of that as when I crunch the numbers of my starting weight and body fat% and my current weight and body fat% my lean mass went up and my fat mass went down. That happened primarily during the first several months. Since then my lean mass has stayed pretty steady and my fat has gone down. Now if I wanted to put on more muscle, I would probably have to increase my calories, and since I am close to my goal I plan to, but it is possible for an untrained body to put on muscle in a caloric deficit simply because it is so un-fit. Once those muscles get to a healthier state, they will not grow without a lot of work. Having said that, my muscle growth may have more to do with the years I was a body builder in the past, and their having been bigger then, but either way it is possible.