Heart Stress test results/BP question

Options
My doc set me up with this appointment to get a echocardiogram, EKG, and stress test this past Monday. Both of us were concerned given my family's extensive history of heart disease. Mom and both sisters have Congestive Heart Failure, brother died at 50 from massive heart attack, sister recently had defibrillator put in, everyone in my family who dies pretty much dies from heart problems, etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, when my DS had her most recent heart problems, I became worried given my extensive exercise I've been doing and asked my doc if I needed to be concerned. Even though she said I had no signs of problems, she agreed it would be prudent to have tests--especially since I'm diabetic.

So, off I went Monday. I got to see some really COOL ultrasounds of my heart in action--just an amazing machine! The guy even put "Doppler" colors so I could see the difference between blood going in and then going out. It was amazing to watch it!

Then a few minutes on the tread mill, no problems there. Then rush back to the ultrasound machine for more heart "pictures." They then showed me the side-by-side "pictures" of my heart "at rest" and my heart after my exercise just pumping away to beat the band! It was neat to see the difference in how it works and watch how fast the blood and all flowed and the little flaps just working away!

It was almost scary to see how incredible the heart is--and to think that my very life depends upon each little valve, little flap, little section doing its job perfectly.

But the good news is---the heart doc said my heart looks great! No sign of stress, no signs of wear/tear, no signs of problems at all. He was impressed that I've lost so much weight and said there was absolutely NOTHING else I could have done better for my heart than that. He also said my "heart recovery time" (how fast your heart rate returns to normal after exercise) was just great!

Got a question though--I should have asked him but didn't think of it.

They kept checking my BP during the stress test--the highest it got was 170/70. The top number increased as I did exercise but the bottom number stayed the same. Is that good?

I know that one number is how hard the heart is working pumping in and the other is how hard it's working pumping out but not sure how exercise should impact that bottom number. I'm not concerned since he said all was well but I'm must curious.

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    My doc set me up with this appointment to get a echocardiogram, EKG, and stress test this past Monday. Both of us were concerned given my family's extensive history of heart disease. Mom and both sisters have Congestive Heart Failure, brother died at 50 from massive heart attack, sister recently had defibrillator put in, everyone in my family who dies pretty much dies from heart problems, etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, when my DS had her most recent heart problems, I became worried given my extensive exercise I've been doing and asked my doc if I needed to be concerned. Even though she said I had no signs of problems, she agreed it would be prudent to have tests--especially since I'm diabetic.

So, off I went Monday. I got to see some really COOL ultrasounds of my heart in action--just an amazing machine! The guy even put "Doppler" colors so I could see the difference between blood going in and then going out. It was amazing to watch it!

Then a few minutes on the tread mill, no problems there. Then rush back to the ultrasound machine for more heart "pictures." They then showed me the side-by-side "pictures" of my heart "at rest" and my heart after my exercise just pumping away to beat the band! It was neat to see the difference in how it works and watch how fast the blood and all flowed and the little flaps just working away!

It was almost scary to see how incredible the heart is--and to think that my very life depends upon each little valve, little flap, little section doing its job perfectly.

But the good news is---the heart doc said my heart looks great! No sign of stress, no signs of wear/tear, no signs of problems at all. He was impressed that I've lost so much weight and said there was absolutely NOTHING else I could have done better for my heart than that. He also said my "heart recovery time" (how fast your heart rate returns to normal after exercise) was just great!

Got a question though--I should have asked him but didn't think of it.

They kept checking my BP during the stress test--the highest it got was 170/70. The top number increased as I did exercise but the bottom number stayed the same. Is that good?

I know that one number is how hard the heart is working pumping in and the other is how hard it's working pumping out but not sure how exercise should impact that bottom number. I'm not concerned since he said all was well but I'm must curious.
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    That's great news :bigsmile:
    Sorry, I did know what the different numbers represented, but that was a while ago, can't think of it at the mo, if I remember, I'll let you know
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    That's great news :bigsmile:
    Sorry, I did know what the different numbers represented, but that was a while ago, can't think of it at the mo, if I remember, I'll let you know
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    Ok, most people get double posts - I just had to go the whole hog and do a triple!
    :bigsmile:
  • obliged
    obliged Posts: 465
    Options

okie dokie, we did the heart/cardiovascular system the other week in class for human phys. so if any of this is wrong sorry i dont wanna give you or anyone else the wrong info shore... but thats why we have the disclaimer, plus i have exams coming so let me know!:laugh:

ok the numbers stand for systolic/diastolic
    systole - period of ventricular contract - blood leaving the heart
    diastole - ventricular relaxation - blood entering the heart

the increase in systole basically means that your heart is pumping blood faster/harder around your body as during exercise there is an increase in CO* - which may increase up to 4-7times - this is due the stress you put your body under when exercising as it has to work harder to circulate oxygen to the muscles otherwise fatigue will set in quite quickly
    *CO = cardiac output, volume of blood flowing through the pulmonary or systemic circulation per minute, normally it is approximately 5L/min

i'm going to assume the reason that the diastole number didn't change is because the heart can only hold a certain amount of blood at any one time:huh:

i hope that helps, if not, i hope someone (eg, Banks, songbyrdsweet) comes along soon:embarassed:
  • rstyles
    rstyles Posts: 16
    Options
    Alot of it could have to do with you being nervous also. If you are really concerned you should buy yourself a blood pressure monitor. They sell them pretty cheap now at any drug store. My father had trouble with his blood pressure and his doctor had him keep a log of his blood pressure, he took it once in the morning and then at night. Maybe you should try that. Worrying about it will only put more stress on your body. Congrats on the good report
  • nursedebra2000
    Options
    I know you already got a great explanation of what the numbers mean, but I will explain it to you in simple terms so you can see why that top number got higher. (I really am a nurse!) The top number goes up because it represents your heart at work - as you work harder, the number goes up! Makes sense and does not hurt you, unless it gets too high! The bottom number represents your heart at rest - you want that one to stay the same - that means your heart is not working hard when it is resting! That is a very good thing, and the low number like 70 is very good!
    You seem to be doing great with your exercise and weight lose - keep up the great work! Exercise is great for your heart because your heart is a muscle and when it is conditioned it works better. Good for you for going to the doctor to get tests, especially with the history and diabetes - prevention is always the first step!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    00020144.gif

Shoreriders Heart!! :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • shorerider
    Options
    I know you already got a great explanation of what the numbers mean, but I will explain it to you in simple terms so you can see why that top number got higher. (I really am a nurse!) The top number goes up because it represents your heart at work - as you work harder, the number goes up! Makes sense and does not hurt you, unless it gets too high! The bottom number represents your heart at rest - you want that one to stay the same - that means your heart is not working hard when it is resting! That is a very good thing, and the low number like 70 is very good!
    You seem to be doing great with your exercise and weight lose - keep up the great work! Exercise is great for your heart because your heart is a muscle and when it is conditioned it works better. Good for you for going to the doctor to get tests, especially with the history and diabetes - prevention is always the first step!

Ok, cool! I was wondering because the doc had said that going up was was ok but that dropping was bad--so when that bottom number didn't go up--even though he said all was well--I was wondering....
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Shore-I'm a little jealous about the echo!!! I'd have loved to have seen them side by side. The previous posts do a good job of explaining about the blood pressure numbers. When your heart contracts, it raises the pressure of your entire vascular system. This is systole. The 170 means that your heart is contracting appropriately, and they check it continuously to see if it does contract right. The bottom number is your vascular system at rest (not you resting, your heart resting between beats). 70 is exceptional. Your story continues to motivate me to get healthy. If the pressure of your vascular system is over 100 in diastole, doctors begin to get concerned and prescribe medicines. It sounds like you have really done a good job with your cardiovascular health.

A side note. When people participate in "endurance" fitness, the heart builds "accessory pathways." This means that your heart actually creates more blood vessels in your heart to provide oxygen to keep up with demand. This also happens somewhat with age, but exercise does it more effectively and in a healthier way. I confirmed this with several medical instructors before posting. Because of this, an older person will often survive the same heart attack that kills a younger person. A cyclist can survive the same heart problems that leave someone handicapped who doesn't participate in a fitness activity
  • shorerider
    Options
    A side note. When people participate in "endurance" fitness, the heart builds "accessory pathways." This means that your heart actually creates more blood vessels in your heart to provide oxygen to keep up with demand. This also happens somewhat with age, but exercise does it more effectively and in a healthier way. I confirmed this with several medical instructors before posting. Because of this, an older person will often survive the same heart attack that kills a younger person. A cyclist can survive the same heart problems that leave someone handicapped who doesn't participate in a fitness activity

wow, cool! Hey, there's something to say about getting old then! phiphi.gif
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options

Wow! I always wanted to know what the heck those numbers mean. The nurse always tell me like I already know what they mean and are just telling me before I ask. And I actually understood this explanation. Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options

I second this, being an RN and having worked as a cardiac nurse. A drop in blood pressure during exercise may indicate heart disease. During a stress test, your top number, or systolic, can get as high as 200. The bottom number should stay below 90. So you were right on! The MD would also be looking for specific changes in your EKG which might indicate an area of the heart that isn't getting enough oxygen while being stressed or whether or not you were having any symptoms (short of breath, chest pain, etc).
    Glad to hear everything turned out ok!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I think the bottom line is that the bottom number of your BP - the 70 - should not increase and should be lower than 80 - CHECK! Then the top number, is the blood rushing through the arteries under stress (Exercise) and that number increases with exercise - CHECK!

Looks like you are in great shape!
    :flowerforyou: