Replies

• MissTizz
    MissTizz Posts: 39
    Options
    THANKS!
  • hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article! I fall prey to the frozen yogurt all of the time!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ski3r4life
    ski3r4life Posts: 206
    Options
    Granola cereal... banana chips... apple sauce... I love those! Wow! But... I mean, seriously - those are still better than your everyday junk food right? Or are they really just as sinful as Cheetos/ice cream/chocolate?
  • mirna_ayala0428
    mirna_ayala0428 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options
    Aaaawwwwww, i love couscous, damnit!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately many of those items ARE about as unhealthy as junk food, high fat and sugar.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Aaaawwwwww, i love couscous, damnit!

Try the organic whole wheat version, it is really good. It is only the plain "white" stuff you should avoid.
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Granola cereal... banana chips... apple sauce... I love those! Wow! But... I mean, seriously - those are still better than your everyday junk food right? Or are they really just as sinful as Cheetos/ice cream/chocolate?

Vegi and fruit chips are healthy only if you have the dehydrated kind. I make them for my kids and rats. The applesauce can be healthy if you make it your self and don't add any extra sugar. It all comes down to if you have the time to make it yourself. I can make many of my favorite restaurant/frozen dinner/bakery items healthier just by making them at home from scratch.
  • bunnyb11
    bunnyb11 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!! i had no idea. I have fallen prey to the Turkey Hotdogs thinking it was healthier. Thanks for the heads up i will have to start looking at the labels a little closer next time.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    I confess, the couscous surprised me. Thanks.
  • LemonCitron
    LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!

I LOOOOVE frozen yogurt. I like to make my own at home but I use frozen cherries or blueberries and plain yogurt. Then I throw it into my Magic Bullet and blend it up. SOOOO GOOD :D
  • lwyz_smln
    lwyz_smln Posts: 46
    Options
    I must admit I actually knew about most of those. I'm surprised. lol
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options

Vegi and fruit chips are healthy only if you have the dehydrated kind. I make them for my kids and rats. The applesauce can be healthy if you make it your self and don't add any extra sugar. It all comes down to if you have the time to make it yourself. I can make many of my favorite restaurant/frozen dinner/bakery items healthier just by making them at home from scratch.

That's so sweet that you make fruit and vegi chips for your rats. I need to pull out my dehydrator and try it out. Right now I usually give them fresh fruit and veggies with their normal food mix (which I make myself) and various meat proteins.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. As far as Applesauce, I usually get mine from Trader Joe's (the organic no sugar added kind)
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Granola cereal... banana chips... apple sauce... I love those! Wow! But... I mean, seriously - those are still better than your everyday junk food right? Or are they really just as sinful as Cheetos/ice cream/chocolate?

Exactly! I make my own granola & granola bars, bran muffins, trail mix (all raw unsalted nuts with dehydrated cranberries)! As I don’t eat any red meat and very limited lean meats, some of these items (such as the nuts) are very important in my diet. Some foods are a bit higher in calories but they aren’t empty cals.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I thought the bagel would be up there, those are packe dwith calories.

Couscous is just another form of refined flour pasta. Try quinoa instead of couscous, you will love it.
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    bump:flowerforyou:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    None of those actually surprised me. I hadn't eaten any of that stuff for a few years, even before MFP. But I've also been a label reader for as long as I've been shopping on my own, so I've pretty much always known what I was eating. The only difference is that I started actually caring. lol