What do I do with the snacks and treats?!

Options
I happen to have quite a few of my favourite foods are home right now (top of the list of Ben and Jerry's phish food tub) along with a double pack of chocolate bourbon creams (I could easily get through a whole packet with a cup of tea), and lots of cereal.

I feel like I'm going to go on a second binge run any day now, since I've eaten quite little over the last few weeks but would not go down well as I've already binged today. Yet I'm still up for food and snacks and chocolate?

Is there any motivation you guys can give me to just take it easy these next few days on healthy things? I'm losing all my strength!

Replies

• wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Personally, I know my weakness and how I put weight on, it's eating out of opportunity.

I would simply throw them out or give the snacks away while I still had the will power to do so.
  • fayelein
    fayelein Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Give them away! Or just throw them out!

Seems a shame to make waste food wise and money wise but I think to keep on track it's something that needs to be done!
  • mkcalvert
    mkcalvert Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Sometimes what I do is let my self have one of those things that I REALLY love, especially if I have been craving it...I find if I do this I don't go on binges!! Everything is okay with moderation. Hope this helps:happy:
  • jessicakaty
    Options
    that's true, but I hate wasting food. Plus I paid for them! I intended to keep them to have in tiny portions but often, but it's too tempting to eat more.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I personally would throw them out, or give them to someone if I was struggling.
    Icecream was my drug of choice before, I ate it every day, and lots of it, whether I was happy or sad. Now I barely have icecream and if I do, it's a 1/2 cup, of 1/2 the fat. Or I once in a while go to the frozen yogurt self serve.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    that's true, but I hate wasting food. Plus I paid for them! I intended to keep them to have in tiny portions but often, but it's too tempting to eat more.

Er, that's not food. It's junk.

Toss it!
  • faythe
    faythe Posts: 245
    Options
    Sometimes the most gratifiying thing isn't eating the bad food, it's throwing it away and saying "I don't want you anymore!" :D You can do it without junk food.

(As an aside I need to take my own advice regarding this issue a little more often!)
  • josephjbarrett3
    Options
    I totally agree...though it may hurt to throw that stuff out...DO IT!!
    The opportunity being there to eat it, I know I would. Do yourself the favor now and chuck it all and save yourself the shame that comes after.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    When you start to make dietary changes people have a strong tendency to go gung ho and make make major changes, this is where they fail. Do not look at this as a diet but rather a lifestyle change, its not about huge changes. My advice is to prepack them into small servings. If you are really having a hard time then have one. But here is the catch, for every one serving you have to go workout. Make it a reward/work deal. You did not workout, therefore you did not earn the serving.
    Now with that said here is what to remember here, the typical diet these days is sugar/salt overload, the body is addicted to it, and takes time to get over that addiction, the true key is to wean yourself off of it. If you have small cheats every now and again you will be less likely to binge. Every few weeks go ahead and binge if you need to. Once you have it under control start making better choices, recognize cravings for what they are telling you, not what you are craving.
    *salty* eat more good fats, almonds, nuts, fish, omega 3s.
    *sweet* this means you need more good carbs in the diet blood sugar has dipped on you
    *crunchy* this is an addiction one I resort to wasa rye crisps and some salsa for this one.
    *protein* Meats, go after the good ones not the processed junk, turkey, lean chicken, lean beef.
  • Becky1971
    Options
    If you throw it out, and get it in your head that you are willing to do so if need be, then you may be less likely to buy it, thats what has happened with me.
  • jessicakaty
    Options
    When you start to make dietary changes people have a strong tendency to go gung ho and make make major changes, this is where they fail. Do not look at this as a diet but rather a lifestyle change, its not about huge changes. My advice is to prepack them into small servings. If you are really having a hard time then have one. But here is the catch, for every one serving you have to go workout. Make it a reward/work deal. You did not workout, therefore you did not earn the serving.
    Now with that said here is what to remember here, the typical diet these days is sugar/salt overload, the body is addicted to it, and takes time to get over that addiction, the true key is to wean yourself off of it. If you have small cheats every now and again you will be less likely to binge. Every few weeks go ahead and binge if you need to. Once you have it under control start making better choices, recognize cravings for what they are telling you, not what you are craving.
    *sweet* this means you need more good carbs in the diet blood sugar has dipped on you
    *crunchy* this is an addiction one I resort to wasa rye crisps and some salsa for this one.
    *protein* Meats, go after the good ones not the processed junk, turkey, lean chicken, lean beef.

This is true, I end up binging if I feel deprived.. and what's really strange is that before dieting, I never ate too many cakes or biscuits or muffins.. But now I'm eating extra extra healthily, that's the only stuff I want :(

I definitely want this as a new lifestyle, not a diet. But I can't imagine never having ice cream or chocolate or cookies again, it makes me feel as though there's nothing to live for! I'd love to get rid of the cravings, but I can't see to.

I love your idea of working out to earn it. Tomorrow I will be working to burn all today's binging off (morning run, then aerobics) and perhaps reward myself with one or two biscuits later (and try to resist the rest of the packet).

I'd love to have the strength to throw them out guys, but for me it's also an emotional thing! It's really difficult.
  • daddyzgurl
    Options
    I had the same problem. I started eating healthy 2 days after a full grocery store run. What I did was break up my "unhealthy "snacks and treats into respectable serving sized portions. Yes, I even did this with ice-cream (measuring out 1/2 cup portions and putting them into freezer ziplock bags. This will allow you to enjoy your treats but stop once your "serving" has been completed. This helped me transition from my old diet to a more healthy one because I didn't start out restricting sweets altogether. You will be amazed at how long your old treats last and how much money you will be saving too.
    Good Luck!
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Once you have it under control start making better choices, recognize cravings for what they are telling you, not what you are craving.

Good advice!
  • mrsmartin1001
    mrsmartin1001 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree.. throw them out. However, if you live with people who enjoy it, maybe putting it in a totally different cabinet so that THEY can get to it but that YOU don't have to see them. What helped me in the past was leaving a post it note on the cabinet for myself that read..."Melinda DO NOT OPEN."

If you don't have others in the house... THROW THEM out or give them to your neighbors. Another suggestion if you can restrict yourself, is to have little zip lock bags with a couple of your favorites and allow yourself to enjoy only what's in that bag for the entire week. I LOVE chocolate (and am HUGE on peanut butter). I usually either get the Weight Watchers chocolates or the peanut butter twix. They have the 4 to go packs where each piece is 100 calories. Sometimes I'll enjoy that as a treat and I satisfy both my cravings at the same time. Hope that helps a bit. :smile:
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I started eating healthy 2 days after a full grocery store run. What I did was break up my "unhealthy "snacks and treats into respectable serving sized portions. Yes, I even did this with ice-cream (measuring out 1/2 cup portions and putting them into freezer ziplock bags. This will allow you to enjoy your treats but stop once your "serving" has been completed. This helped me transition from my old diet to a more healthy one because I didn't start out restricting sweets altogether. You will be amazed at how long your old treats last and how much money you will be saving too.
    Good Luck!
    Sound advice but I hate the word diet, I like the word nutrition much better its not about "diet" as much as making the body work for you and not against you.
  • mrsmartin1001
    mrsmartin1001 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Very True.. it's not "food" it's "junk" Great point!!
  • jessicakaty
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and have regular symptoms of protein deficiency :( I eat tofu and quorn often, though.

I think that's what I'll do.. Gradually work my way through the treats, using them as rewards and things, and have them less and less until they're gone - then just eat healthily and if I crave, allow myself in my head to have them.. but as a reward.

Going to be a struggle, but thanks for all your great advice!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm a big proponent of the "pack treats into single servings" idea. What I do is buy a box of those little snack sized ziploc baggies. When I bring home a package of treats, I IMMEDIATELY package it into single serving sizes by using my little kitchen scale. I then put all of the treat bags into a basket that sits in my pantry (so I don't see them while I'm in the kitchen). I can then throw a bag or two into my purse to take with me when I go out so I won't be tempted to stop at a convenience store to buy a snack. I also keep some at work so I won't hit the vending machine. I'm less likely to open more than one baggie than I would be to sit and eat the whole package!

Whatever you end up deciding works for you (the workout to earn a treat is a good idea, too!), I wish you the very best of luck on your journey.
  • jessicakaty
    Options
    I'm a big proponent of the "pack treats into single servings" idea. What I do is buy a box of those little snack sized ziploc baggies. When I bring home a package of treats, I IMMEDIATELY package it into single serving sizes by using my little kitchen scale. I then put all of the treat bags into a basket that sits in my pantry (so I don't see them while I'm in the kitchen). I can then throw a bag or two into my purse to take with me when I go out so I won't be tempted to stop at a convenience store to buy a snack. I also keep some at work so I won't hit the vending machine. I'm less likely to open more than one baggie than I would be to sit and eat the whole package!

Whatever you end up deciding works for you (the workout to earn a treat is a good idea, too!), I wish you the very best of luck on your journey.

Brilliant plan, thank you! Little hard to do with my ice cream (may require a lot of bags!) and very messy, but probably worth it. Good luck to you, too. :)
  • humpalc
    humpalc Posts: 140
    Options
    I take food to work and put it on the break-room table - disappears in minutes :)