What to do with coconut milk?

Options
heathersmilez
heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
You ever FINALLY buy an ingredient you never ever buy because you read some recipe in the past on MFP then once you finally find this odd item on the shelves and you get home you realize, why did I need this again?

I know I was going to try out a Pina Colada Smothie but once I open the can I’d like to use the whole thing up so what else can I do with coconut milk? Ps: 40 calories per ½ cup, I found the greatest brand and only .97 at Walmart, Canada.

Replies

• kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'd really like to know what to make with coconut milk too. I almost bought some at walmart the other day but didn't. Do you just drink it? Make smoothies? Who has tried this and is it good?
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    You can use it in Thai curries.
  • emilytgs24
    emilytgs24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Chicken, potatoes, onions, carrots, and butternut squash. Over rice. In a curry sauce. YUMMMM. Not sure how to make it healthy but there are some things that are worth portion control!
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    This sounds nasty, but it is amazingly good. :)

Pumpkin and Sausage Soup

2 c mashed pumpkin (1 15 oz can)
    4 c. chicken broth
    1/2 c. minced onion
    1 c. finely chopped mushrooms
    1/2 c half and half mixed with 1/2 c water
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 T Italian Seasoning
    1/2 pound spicy sausage

Brown sausage, drain, and then add the onion, garlic, mushrooms and herbs. When the sausage is browned, stir in the pumpkin. Stir in the broth and mix well. Simmer 20-30 minutes. Stir in the milk and simmer on low another 10-15 min. Taste and add salt/pepper as needed.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I like to make oatmeal with 2% milk, but it adds 130 calories, so i will use coconut milk instead. 1 cup of coconut milk is only 80 calories. It cooks up almost the same, and it adds a tropical taste. :drinker:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You can freeze it in 1/4 cup portions and add to soups or casseroles or smoothies..... mmmmm :)
  • 6Pk2Go
    6Pk2Go Posts: 105
    Options
    Frozen Trout Fillets at Costco have a recipe on the back of the package that's one of my favorites. Heat the coconut milk in a skillet, put in a tablespoon or so of green curry paste. Put the trout in and cook through. Tastes delicious and very healthy too! Mmmm now I have to go get some coconut milk :smile:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, I wasn’t able to find canned pumpkin at this particular Walmart only canned pumpkin pie filling and a curry meal would require a nether trip out there to go hunt that down plus hubby hates it and I'm fine having 1 tsp of the dried spice in one of my recipes about once a month, no more than that.

Looks like I bought a difficult item, guess its lots of Pina Colada Smoothies for me! ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions though everyone, I'll continue gooogle'ing.

Ps: As for the fat content/high calories info, the can I bought is 40 cals per 1/2 cup, other brands had 160 per 1/4 cup, yikes! Thank you unknown can made in Thailand!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i bought some cos its low cal, but didnt really use it as its not that much lower cal than skimmed milk, but with none of the protein
  • derocherl
    derocherl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use full-fat coconut milk in fruit smoothies (banana, OJ, frozen strawberries and pineapple...yum). You might consider the full-fat version next time. Coconut oil is a very good fat that actually helps us lose fat. Read about it in this great book "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" : http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Fat-Lose-Healthy-Alternative/dp/0452285666/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300461446&sr=1-1
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options
    I wash my hair with it ;)

but I also use it to make smoothies
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You can use it to make coconut rice. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/semi-homemade-cooking-with-sandra-lee/coconut-rice-recipe/index.html

Or in curries.

Or in a sweet potato chowder
    2T oil
    1 large onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic
    1t red curry paste or 2-3t of curry powder
    3# sweet potato (5-6 large), peels and cut into 3/4" dice
    2 14oz cans chicken broth/stock
    1 14oz can coconut milk
    1 2" piece of lemongrass, or 1t finely chopped or microplaned lemon peel
    2t of ginger, finely diced or microplaned
    S&P TT (salt and pepper to taste)

Cook oil, onions over med head until soft. Add curry paste and garlic. Stir in remaining ingrediants and let cook until potatoes are tender. Ladel some out and blend so soup is creamy, but still has some chunks.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Thai Coconut Shrimp

Red curry paste adds plenty of spicy heat to the shrimp while the slightly sweet coconut milk smooths out the flavor for a perfectly balanced meal.

Red curry paste conveys plenty of spicy heat, so a little goes a long way. Feel free to add a bit more to increase the heat, or omit the paste to tame the dish. The addition of slightly sweet coconut milk smooths out the flavors.

Prep Time: 19 minutes

Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

Ingredients
    1 teaspoon canola oil
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/4 teaspoon red curry paste (such as Thai Kitchen)
    1 teaspoon sugar
    12 ounces large shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1/3 cup light coconut milk
    2 teaspoons fish sauce
    1/4 cup chopped green onions
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
    Preparation
    1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and curry paste to pan, and sauté 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Stir in sugar; sauté 15 seconds. Add shrimp; sauté 3 minutes or until shrimp are done, stirring frequently. Stir in coconut milk and fish sauce; cook 30 seconds or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; stir in green onions and basil.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    255 (26% from fat)
    Fat:
    7.4g (sat 2.6g,mono 1.8g,poly 1.9g)
    Protein:
    36.1g
    Carbohydrate:
    10.2g
    Fiber:
    1.1g
    Cholesterol:
    259mg
    Iron:
    4.6mg
    Sodium:
    740mg
    Calcium:
    111mg
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Coconut Curried Chicken

Lush coconut milk and sultry green curry paste let you enjoy authentic Thai flavor in this quick entrée. You can use cooked, peeled, and deveined shrimp instead of chicken. Just add the shrimp at the end to heat it up.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups chicken mixture and 1/2 cup couscous)

Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups water, divided
    2/3 cup uncooked couscous
    1 cup light coconut milk
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1 tablespoon fish sauce
    2 teaspoons sugar
    2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
    2 teaspoons bottled minced ginger
    1 teaspoon green curry paste
    2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
    1 pound chicken breast tenders
    1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
    1 cup frozen green peas
    1/2 cup prechopped onion
    1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
    1 teaspoon lime juice
    Lime wedges (optional)
    Preparation
    Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in couscous, and cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

While couscous cooks, combine 1/2 cup water, coconut milk, and next 6 ingredients (through curry paste), stirring well with a whisk.

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes or until done, turning once. Remove from pan; keep warm.

Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan. Add peas, onion, and mushrooms; cook 3 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add coconut milk mixture and 1/4 teaspoon salt to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 minute. Add chicken and lime juice to pan; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Serve over couscous; garnish with lime wedges, if desired.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    361 (18% from fat)
    Fat:
    7.2g (sat 2.6g,mono 1.8g,poly 1.2g)
    Protein:
    34.4g
    Carbohydrate:
    38.1g
    Fiber:
    4.4g
    Cholesterol:
    66mg
    Iron:
    2.2mg
    Sodium:
    778mg
    Calcium:
    39mg
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Thai-Coconut Bouillabaisse

Be sure to reserve the shells after peeling the shrimp; you'll need them to make the broth. Bouillabaisse is a classic Provençal seafood stew.

Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients
    Cooking spray
    1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (reserve shells)
    1 cup chopped celery, divided
    1 cup chopped carrot, divided
    1 cup chopped onion, divided
    2 1/2 cups cold water
    3 black peppercorns
    1 bay leaf
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1/2 cup chopped tomato
    1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
    1 teaspoon red curry paste
    4 (2 x 1/2–inch) lime rind strips
    1 (13.5-ounce) can light coconut milk
    12 littleneck clams, scrubbed
    12 mussels, scrubbed and debearded
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (6-ounce) skinned halibut fillet or other lean white fish fillet, cut into 1-inch pieces
    Lime wedges (optional)
    Preparation
    1. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add shrimp shells to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 1/2 cup celery, 1/2 cup carrot, and 1/2 cup onion to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Stir in 2 1/2 cups water, peppercorns, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain mixture through a sieve over a bowl; discard solids.

2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add remaining 1/2 cup celery, 1/2 cup carrot, and 1/2 cup onion to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bell pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato, garlic, curry paste, and rind; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in broth mixture and coconut milk; bring to a boil. Add clams and mussels. Cover, reduce heat, and cook 2 minutes or until clams and mussels open. Remove from heat; discard any unopened shells. Stir in shrimp, basil, and remaining ingredients except lime wedges. Cover and let stand 5 minutes or until shrimp and halibut are done. Discard lime rind. Place 2 clams and 2 mussels in each of 6 bowls. Divide shrimp and fish evenly among bowls. Ladle 2/3 cup broth mixture over each serving. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.

Wine note: In the south of France, bouillabaisse is traditionally served with a dry rosé. And dry rosé is the best choice even with this not-so-traditional version. The kick of the red curry paste and cilantro, plus the exotic thick creaminess of the coconut milk, need a refreshing wine that has more weight and power than a white. Try any number of rosés from California. One of my favorites: Saxon Brown Flora Ranch Rosé 2006 from Chalk Hill ($20). —Karen MacNeil

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    226 (27% from fat)
    Fat:
    6.9g (sat 3.5g,mono 1.2g,poly 1.2g)
    Protein:
    30.4g
    Carbohydrate:
    10.4g
    Fiber:
    1.4g
    Cholesterol:
    143mg
    Iron:
    8mg
    Sodium:
    599mg
    Calcium:
    96mg
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    try the curry, its so good. The rest of the world knows about it but westerners are just warming up to it.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    try the curry, its so good. The rest of the world knows about it but westerners are just warming up to it.
  • jenniferbisson
    jenniferbisson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Always delish in spicy dishes - it'll cool it down a bit but enhance the flavour unlike creams and milks that usually dilute everything ! If you make thai cooking with chili sauces etc, its amazing. I steam veggies like celerey, bok choy, carrots, bell peppers, brocolli, water chestnuts, and onions, add some chili pepper thai hot sauce stuff ( you know, the squished up peppers in the big squeeze bottle with the green tip?), then stir in your coconut milk! NOM NOM

For something sweet and equally exotic, mix coconut milk, avacado, a shot of coffee and or chocolate syrup ( a lil goes a long way) , mix it up with some ice in the blender, and voila - a great source of nutrients and OMGSODELISHUS!
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Tons of recipes on the net to use with chicken and fish. Just found this yummy one for halibut from cookinglight.com

Halibut with Coconut-Red Curry Sauce

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet and about 1/3 cup sauce)

Ingredients

2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
    4 (6-ounce) halibut fillets
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped green onions
    1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
    1 cup light coconut milk
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon fish sauce
    3/4 teaspoon red curry paste
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
    2 teaspoons fresh lime juice

Preparation

1. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish to pan; cook 5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Remove fish from pan; keep warm.

2. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan. Add onion, green onions, and ginger; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in coconut milk and the next 4 ingredients (through coriander). Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in basil and juice.

Serve with:

Seasoned rice with bok choy: Combine 1 1/2 cups water and 3/4 cup basmati rice in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes. Stir in 2 cups chopped baby bok choy; cover and cook 8 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil; stir into rice mixture.

Nutritional Information

Calories: 278
    Fat: 9.3g (sat 3.6g,mono 2.7g,poly 2g)
    Protein: 37.1g
    Carbohydrate: 10.9g
    Fiber: 1.1g
    Cholesterol: 54mg
    Iron: 2mg
    Sodium: 475mg
    Calcium: 102mg
  • steph53282
    steph53282 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe in my Curves book for Curves Coconut Peanut Chicken. It's really good, I don't remember exactly what to do but it's something like:

few scoops of peanut butter-melt in skillet on low, add Coconut milk. Make rice or pasta. Cook chicken (cut in cubes). Add sauce to chicken and pasta/rice. Enjoy.

I don't have the exact recipe, but that's the basics.