Chocolate chip cookies

Options
How can I make lower calorie, healthier cookies? I know I can Google this, but from personal experience - the internet says everything... including that Elvis is alive. So, I'm asking you guys! Here is the base recipe I am working with: http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/18476/Original-NESTLÉ-TOLL-HOUSE-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies/detail.aspx.

Two additional questions: I've heard that adding sour cream to your cookies makes them so much moister and chewier -- just like the ones in the bakery! True or false? Experience?

Myth #2 : Replacing brown sugar with honey has the same effect as sour cream?? (Makes the texture and ooey gooeyness of those cookies so wonderful) If so, this would be a really good thing for me because I might need to find a brown sugar substitute. I'm living in France and I CANNOT stand the taste of the brown sugar sold on the shelves here...

Replies

• jennajoehro
    jennajoehro Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Betty Crocker has "healthified" versions of some of their most popular recipes, including one for Chocolate Chip Cookies. Here it is:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/healthified-chocolate-chip-cookies/8a058d47-fc1d-4cca-83fa-a8ddc9a447be?sr=2&st=7#/?term=Healthified&pi=2&mr=20

Good luck!

~Jenna
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    try your local library..i always go and get healthy related books, and it seems as tho, i never run out of new ones (as of yet) ;) best of luck
  • Purplegal
    Purplegal Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Here is one I've made and they are pretty yummy! I also included some modifications I've made to make them less cals..

Low Fat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

**for less cals use 1/4 cup cocoa to replace choc chips, no white sugar, ¾ cup brown sugar, less butter more applesauce, cut oats to 1 ½ cups

1 cup all purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    2 tbsp butter, room temperature
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 large egg
    1/4 cup plain, unsweetened apple sauce
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    2 cups quick cooking oats
    1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
    In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon
    In a large bowl, cream together the butter and the sugars. Beat in the egg, followed by the applesauce and the vanilla extract. Working by hand, stir in the flour mixture and the oats until just combined and no streaks of flour remain. Stir in the chocolate chips.
    Drop tablespoonfuls of the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, flattening each cookie slightly. Bake for about 10-12 min. Cookies will be light brown at the edges when done.
    Let cool on sheet for 3 or 4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
    Makes 2 dozen cookies.
  • StephHettwer
    Options
    When you sacrifice ingredients for health, you usually change either the texture or taste in some shape or form. My suggestions are to use substitutes such as

margarine (or other butter sub.) for butter
    egg beaters for eggs
    dark chocolate chips in lieu of milk chocolate or carib chips if you may (they really don't cut it for a choc sub)
    whole wheat flour for white flour
    and you can use a sugar substitute like stevia for sugar

This will not taste like a nestle toll house cookie but will be healthier.
    My honest suggestion is go ahead and have the cookie but not a dozen of them.....
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I know how to make high protein nobake coockies lol. Im not to sure if there is a real healty way to make chocolate chip cookies and if there is YUCK haha
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    You can buy granulated splenda, which will act as a direct swap for the sugar. Use whole wheat flour and dark chocolate chips. Use unsweetened apple sauce for the butter/eggs (you'd have to look up equivalents, I don't know them)... mind you these won't taste perfect, but they'll be good.

You could just make your normal cookies smaller... I've done this and found that I can get a standard recipe to be about 50 calories/cookie
  • sweetheart03622
    Options
    I know how to make high protein nobake coockies lol. Im not to sure if there is a real healty way to make chocolate chip cookies and if there is YUCK haha

Can I get that recipe? That sounds like something I'd like...
  • ski3r4life
    ski3r4life Posts: 206
    Options
    Substituting apple sauce is genious!
  • BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    i've tried making low cal/fat cookies before but in the end you're only saving a minimal amount of calories...just have the good cookies. a cookie is a cookie, there's no such thing as a low fat cookie. however the other suggestions on this post are good...i sub alot of these things. but be careful, the mind can play tricks on you...just cause they say low fat/low cal--you can't eat more
  • acobrien5
    acobrien5 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Check out the Hungry Girl website and cookbook... she does a ton of genius stuff. For example... If you want cupcakes and don't want the crazy calories - get a box of cake mix and instead of mixing in eggs/butter etc... you just add a can of diet soda and BAM you get cupcakes with 1/3 of the cals. I don't recommend this for always obviously - but it's a neat trick. For more check her out! Hungrygirl.com
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Can I get that recipe? That sounds like something I'd like...

Let me see if it is on my computer
  • sweetheart03622
    Options
    Check out the Hungry Girl website and cookbook... she does a ton of genius stuff. For example... If you want cupcakes and don't want the crazy calories - get a box of cake mix and instead of mixing in eggs/butter etc... you just add a can of diet soda and BAM you get cupcakes with 1/3 of the cals. I don't recommend this for always obviously - but it's a neat trick. For more check her out! Hungrygirl.com

That's actually a weight watchers recipe originally, but hungry-girl is good for swapping out some sinful items. Only downside is that it's all overprocessed stuff... but once in a while it helps get your fix