Excersise Tips MFP

Options
Im 24 Im 389 lbs and I need some help..

I do 41 minutes of walking, push ups, stretching, jumping jacks and the shakeweight ( seen on tv) . Im wanting to lose weight before i do the lap band. But I need more than what im doing. I want something thats going to help me and work my butt off but not kill me at the same time. lol.. Ive came to MFP to get help im getting alot of motivation but im need some excersise tell me what helps you and what you see that works..

I do have weights and stretch bands

Replies

• kateslife
    kateslife Posts: 39
    Options
    Start out walking and then to running in place.
    I actually started running in place, and that helped.
    Then once you can do that, try real running.
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to start Zumba classes. I have heard that they are super fun, so the hour goes by fast, and works 500-800 calories in the hour. Maybe you could find one of those in your area? I am so excited to get started on something with that kind of calorie burn!
  • mkcalvert
    mkcalvert Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I started Jillian Michael's 30 day shred, it killed me but I could do it I mean I had to take a break, but I know that's what will get me results...I feel like I could do it today, but bc of shark week I'm just not up for working out that hard tonight, but a little walk is better than nothing!! :wink:
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Zumba!!!!
    You can either make it hard or easy. I like to make it a little more difficult. Whenever there is hip movement, i move my upper body as well to create something like a side crunch. It works out your abs and love handles like no other!
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    zumba I love it and great calorie burn and fun
  • krystleRD
    krystleRD Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Im having the p90x burned for me so thats something im going to start on... I dont have a problem running or walking outside I can walk my weight dont hold me back.. I just feel funny when i run like everything is plopping me in the face ya know? I do have a hip hop workout dvd.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Comes down to calories in verses calories out. Burn more than you eat and any form of exercise is good. I started with walking and eventually did more variety as I could handle it. Don't think that you have to run or do super intense workouts, doing any activity consistently will help you burn so walk, dance, bowl, gardening, spring cleaning... whatever gets you moving. Couple that with a healthy diet (always get at least 1200 net calories in) and you will lose. I ended up skipping bypass surgery and just doing diet and exercise. When I started I could barely walk to the end of my driveway.

Good luck, be strong!!!!!
  • zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Im having the p90x burned for me so thats something im going to start on... I dont have a problem running or walking outside I can walk my weight dont hold me back.. I just feel funny when i run like everything is plopping me in the face ya know? I do have a hip hop workout dvd.

P90x is probably a little too difficult at this stage of the game. I'd start with something like Zumba first not that Zumba isn't difficult as well but I feel like doing modified versions are much easier then say doing a P90x plyometrics workout.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    walking/running cyling and a gym ball, my daughter just walked when she lost her weight and lost about 3 stone and just cut out all crisps and chocolate, so try increasing ur walking 2 an hr a day:smile:
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    ellipticals are a great way to get in an amazing workout with really low impact, plus you can adjust inclines and resistance. Most gyms have them
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Scrap the shake weight, or just use it as a weight, its a gimmick. Since you are fresh and starting out I recommend interval training, do not get this confused with running, you can do this walking and to your benefit you can make your excess weight work to your advantage here. Get a heart rate monitor, it will give you accurate cal burns. Now here is the routine.
    1) stretch and warm up at home or while walking at a medium pace for 4-6 mins.
    2) you start by going at a pace that takes you out of your comfort zone for as long as you can (usually 30 seconds) you should be finding the heart rate up there at this time I go as high as 170 bpm but you may be lower.
    3) slow it down until you are at a comfortable breathing pace again, usually for a beginner thats 1 to 2 mins.
    4) repeat for 30 mins.

Above all make the exercise fun, if you do not enjoy it then you probably will not stick to it, and 80% of weight loss is diet, not exercise making the body work for you and not against you.
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    I did water aerobics & it was awesome. It's low impact on your knees. You get a great work out without getting sweaty!
    They have classes at most gyms, but I also found a really cheap pay-per-class option at my local community center. Maybe google your area to see what options are out there for you if it seems like something you might like to try.
    Good luck to you!
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Hey, you don't live very far from me!

Like they said, calories in vs. calories out. Just do whatever you enjoy that keeps you active and builds some muscle. It's P90x and couchto5k for me!
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options

P90x is probably a little too difficult at this stage of the game. I'd start with something like Zumba first not that Zumba isn't difficult as well but I feel like doing modified versions are much easier then say doing a P90x plyometrics workout.

There's a lot of modification she can do. Even if she swaps the Cardio X dvd in for the Plyo for starts, it will still be great exercise!
  • mkcalvert
    Options

I just ordered P90X myself, but I'm doing 30 day shred first!!
  • krystleRD
    Options

I agree but Im still going to get that wat i can have it.. thansk for the advice
  • mkcalvert
    Options
    I think you are already on the right track, no matter what you do!! Good Luck
  • krystleRD
    Options
    I plan on doing my water arobeics at my dads once the pool is done. ( thats just on weekends) since i live an hr away from him.. I will try the 30 minute fast/slow pace walk..

P90x ( ill do the modification on the ones i cant do ( like the pull ups and so on)

I love to be out doors since i baby sit a 20 month old...

Thanks everyone..
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    that 30 mins walk/pace will turn into running after a few months, intervals for a beginner are hands down the fastest way to get into shape, once you are not finding that as much of a challenge look into metabolic resistance training.
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I do some of the Leslie Sansone walking dvds. They are good (especially if you don't have a lot of places to walk outdoors that are easily accessible) I've also started doing the zumba....it'll kick your butt but even if you modify it a little bit it will still work wonders for you. I also do some strength exercises too just to round it out some.