HELP!

Options
I need help. I have been eating way too much all week and yesterday I totally binged. After already eating about 3 times my needed calories I downed half a jar of peanut butter then ate pieces of the brownies I baked for a friend. I threw away the rest of the peanubt butter and all other "bad" foods, even bread. It's all or nothing. I feel as if I have no control, especially when it comes to eating out of jars and eating sweets. I also eat one piece of gum after another so I always am munching on something and always think about food. I feel disgusting today. How do I stop? I feel as though I have to keep all "bad" foods out of the house or I will binge, but then I have nothing to eat but egg whites. Please help me stop doing this it makes me hate myself. :(

Replies

• bostongirl987
    bostongirl987 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I need help. I have been eating way too much all week and yesterday I totally binged. After already eating about 3 times my needed calories I downed half a jar of peanut butter then ate pieces of the brownies I baked for a friend. I threw away the rest of the peanubt butter and all other "bad" foods, even bread. It's all or nothing. I feel as if I have no control, especially when it comes to eating out of jars and eating sweets. I also eat one piece of gum after another so I always am munching on something and always think about food. I feel disgusting today. How do I stop? I feel as though I have to keep all "bad" foods out of the house or I will binge, but then I have nothing to eat but egg whites. Please help me stop doing this it makes me hate myself. :(
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    hey, i know how you feel girl! i was like you for a very long time. A lot of times i would look at my friends who could just go and eat normally and I was jealous because I could never do that. I would be starving, but being around food made me nervous because there were so many foods that i considered "bad foods" or foods that I could never ever eat. if i did i'd feel guilty or want to throw up.... its not a good way to live. Its a mental torture because food can be an addiction, but its not like drugs or cigarettes because you NEED food to live.

Try to stop thinking of any foods as "bad foods" you can have peanut butter, you can have brownies, just log it on here when you eat it. and don't feel guilty about it. Once you start working on that change of mind set you won't feel the need to binge on those things. Its almost like the old saying "we want what we can't have" if you limit yourself to certain foods, your mind is going to focus on the ones you're telling yourself to stay away from. If you tell yourself that you can have those foods if you chose, it will help you to be able to control it, and to make good decisions when eating.

I know its tough, i've struggled with this since I was 17, and i'm 27 now. Its still tough, but work on changing your out look on eating to fuel your body, and whats really going to make you feel good. And i would also suggest writing down a list of 10things you like about yourself, or things that make you special and unique EVERYDAY until you really start believing them. The more you like yourself the more you will try to do everything to keep YOU around :flowerforyou:
  • bostongirl987
    bostongirl987 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! It is refreshing to hear that you know how I feel. :) You're awesome.
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    there are really a lot of people on here that know how we feel! i think that really using the food log will help you to see and visualize that its okay to eat, and its okay to eat what you want and you can see how many calories you still need! its hard work to change your mental state, but you can do it!! and if you have a close friend/boyfriend/family member i'd encourage you to share this with them too..a lot of times sharing this info with someone close, yep, may seem embarrasing or shameful but the more you talk about it the better you will feel. I kept it all inside for 8years, finally talked to my fiance about it, and suprisingly :wink: he didnt shame me or laugh or kick me out, he was helpful, and if I tell him "okay make sure I stop after 1 bar" or "support me when your family keeps trying to make me eat cake when I dont want any" he always does!!

good luck!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    honey dont hate yourself gather your sad pieces up and join the rest of us who have fallen off the wagon. It hurts and makes you feel yucky. I did it myself the past couple but trust me when you get back into it it feel sooo much better
  • mellymlk
    mellymlk Posts: 187
    Options
    I have the same problem but I do it in the middle of the night. What has really helped me is using the food journel on here. Plus exercise. When you exercise you can up your calories some.
    Try subway. I was craving fast food last night so bad. Then I remember how yummy the tuna salads are at Subway and that I can shove all the veggies I want in them. It's sooo filling. I got home logged it and it was only 265 calories! WOW that's awesome.

It's good to get rid of all the bad stuff. Just for now until you can break the habit. You'll stop craving it soon. Come up with another habit other then eating. Like exercising. I clean house all day long. It keeps my mind off of fod, my house clean, and I get a good workout : )

STICK WITH IT! Think how rewarding it will be when you do : )
  • froggirl
    Options
    My sanity was threatened a little bit last night when my boyfriend and I went to McDonald's drive through. I got a grilled chicken sandwich but he got chicken mcnuggets and his daughter wanted chicken tenders and fries. The whole way to his house I wanted to get into the fries but I didn't. I did eat one chicken mcnugget, logged it in, it didn't blow my calories and I was okay.

I agree, the idea of all or nothing will set us all up for failure. Eat! Just eat sanely.
  • strawberryblonde13
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with you girls... I have always struggled with the concept of food... they were either good or bad, and if i had a 'bad food' i would beat myself up over it for days (and usually binge on more)... MFP finally helped me realize that there really are no bad foods... it is all about moderation. so what if you ate a jar of peanut butter, log it ... figure out what you have to work with and use it as motivation to go to the gym and earn back those calories... you really need to look at how you view food... it is fuel... nutrition... etc. and please don't beat your self up over the jar'o'peanut butter etc... you aren't going to gain weight in a day... just use it as motivation to get to the gym... or to eat healthy for the rest of the day... etc. I hope this helps, I know it is tough... trust me I am the same way. good luck (ps i do the gum thing too.... i found that drinking lots of tea / water helps calm the urge to eat ... where as gum makes me hungry ??? no sure why. haha. :bigsmile:
  • kris2600
    kris2600 Posts: 149
    Options
    I have heard that if people chew on ice throughout the day that it helps them avoid the gum and the water makes them feel full.