What is your favorite butter substitute?:happy:

Replies

• peggysue1977
    peggysue1977 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use the fat free parkay spray which is really good!! :smile:
  • mfergie889
    Options
    History has shown again and again that it is better to use the real thing!
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Smart balance light with flax oil
  • Rhiven43
    Rhiven43 Posts: 8
    Options
    Earth Balance Olive Oil
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    extra virgin olive oil the real stuff or macadamia nut oil
  • SunLove8
    Options

True, but real butter isn't good for cholesterol.
  • marshmallowmind
    marshmallowmind Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use Vitalite. It's a vegan substitute & taste bloody amazing! :)
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    avodcado!!!! (this doesnt work for everything though)
    surprising ways to use it: instead of butter or lard in frosting-its green, but taste great!!!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Studies show that a high fat diet, including real butter is actually much better for cholesterol count than low fat and substitutes. Most margarines are only a few molocules off from plastic FYI.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    brummel & brown
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I prefer only "natural" foods, so have avoided all substitues like the plauge. I have just become alergic to all dairy in the last year though, rather severely, so unfortunately cannot have my tiny bits of REAL butter on the occasion I use it.
    I have switched to the Vegan Becel now. It is the only non-dairy butter like substance I've been able to find.
  • aks1985
    aks1985 Posts: 27
    Options
    i agree i use real butter - nothing like the real deal from the original source
  • Giovanni_P
    Giovanni_P Posts: 107
    Options
    Smart balance light with flax oil

ditto.
  • SunLove8
    Options
    Studies show that a high fat diet, including real butter is actually much better for cholesterol count than low fat and substitutes. Most margarines are only a few molocules off from plastic FYI.

It really depends on what study one reads. I've seen a couple that say partially some of the things you said; however, Ive reasearched it a lot myself (my husband has high cholesterol) and have read differently more times than the other way around. Both are bad actually, but here's a link http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/prevention/askdietician/margarine.aspx
    I think it's an interesting topic because there is so much debate on it that I'm not truely convienced ethier way.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Brummel & Brown.

It's not really a substitute, it's just mixed with yogurt to lower the fat/calories. It still TASTES like butter.
  • Erica9903
    Erica9903 Posts: 156
    Options
    I know that this is going to sound terrible but no more often that I use butter these days when I do use it it's the real thing. Land O Lakes butter...and it's even salted!!! I like it because there's not a bunch of additives, just sweet cream and salt but you can always get the unsalted. I mainly use butter for mashed potatoes and by using salted butter I usually never need to add additional salt. :wink:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options

True, but real butter isn't good for cholesterol.

Only if you eat too much.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I eat so little butter that there's no point to using a substitute. The real stuff tastes better, doesn't have any scary stuff in it, and I use it so rarely and in such small amounts that I'd rather have the butter.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I use butter.
    In recipes that I want to change up I'll use some olive oil, hemp oil or even just substitute apple sauce for the butter, entirely depends on the recipe which will work, but for baking I've had zero problems with using olive oil in place of lard or butter.

I still haven't got my hands on one but I will find a mister for putting my olive oil in the odd time I want to spritz a pan, rather than the aerosol with butane / propane as accelerants.

Another spot I find funny is the number of recipes I see calling for "salt free butter" then adding salt to whatever you're making anyway, I just use salted butter and omit the salt called for.
  • grneyety
    grneyety Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute for butter. My grandparents love margarine and I can't imagine eating it. I realize that because I refuse to give up butter I have to severely limit myself but BUTTER TASTES AMAZING. No way I'm giving that up for something that is closer chemically to the container it comes in than what it's supposed to be replacing.