How often..

Options
Basically I was wondering how often you weigh yourself. I get weighed at the doctors every 2 weeks or due to holidays this time it will be 3 weeks, Im sooooo desperate to weigh myself in between weigh ins but I dont know if this will spoil that feeling of excitement when I find out how much (if any) Ive lost since last time.

Replies

• therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Once a week is about the most you should weigh. Otherwise, daily (and even hourly) fluctuations will only create frustration.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself 3-4x/week, but I only "count" one weekly "official" weigh-in. Waiting 2-3 weeks in between would make me crazy wanting to know.

BUT, weighing weekly @ home, and then seeing a different result on another scale might irritate me too. I think you should do what works best for YOU, since everyone responds differently to scale fluctuations & differences between scales.
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It's important to remember that weight can fluctuate from day to day (and hour to hour) depending on water intake/outtake. Certain foods, drugs, exercise, etc, can affect how much water our bodies retain.

So, ideally we'd all be using measuring techniques to calculate body fat vs. water vs. muscle. Unfortunately it's hard for the average person (you and me) to get a quick and accurate body fat measurement. Even still, read up on it and give it a try.

That being said, it's important to weigh in at the same time every day, preferable first thing in the morning. I think it's fine to weigh in everyday, but keep in mind the water fluctuations and don't worry about it too much. Weight is a fine measuring tool for most of us but we need to look at in the long term with weeks or months of data.
  • ♥♥YoungMrs♥♥
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday..idk i think if you dont mind seeing the weight go up and down a little throughout the week then its fine..but if you freak out about it you might want to just stick to once a week lol
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm terrible about weighing myself everyday and letting it dictate my mood. Once a week sounds more reasonable. In the morning, I am always looking for hope that I lost a pound and, of course, because of fluctuation in water, etc., I see loss SOMETIMES but often not. Anyway, I would suggest measuring once a week, too. Sometimes you may not see it on the scale because of muscle growth, but you will find it on the tape.
  • chivimd
    chivimd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know I'm not supposed to but I weigh every day. I only "count" my Friday morning weigh in though.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to weigh myself every day but it doesn't affect my mood or anything else really. A few days of no loss or even a gain just makes me more determined. :smile:

I think it really depends on your personality. Will you obsess over it every day? Will it put you in a bad mood to find that you gained a few ounces from the day before? Some people really can't handle the daily ups and downs and it's better to weigh once a week or even less. And as others pointed out, you may find there's a difference between your scale and your doctor's. Of course, when that happens to me, I just adjust my scale!

Good luck!
  • thedogsmother
    Options
    Right I think Im going to weigh myself on monday then it will be a week since I was weighed at the docs, if Ive put any on Im sure I will be back on here for a cry (joking)
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Friday & measure every other Friday =)
  • lmk224
    lmk224 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, I like to know what foods make me retain water/gain so I can look after my tummy better! It is a bit obsessive though, fine if you don't mind the little gains and even better if you get a beaming smile for the day over little losses!
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I've developed the habit of weighing myself daily. However, that said, the only 1 that I count is my weekly weigh in with my trainer. I've had to learn to ignore most of it as the daily fluctuations and such can drive you crazy! (That said I can't seem to help myself from jumping on the scale in the morning, even knowing it might not be a realistic reflection)
  • Bramble1
    Bramble1 Posts: 13
    Options
    i weigh myself EVERYTIME i go to the bathroom! I count my first morning weigh in and the rest are just curiosity, i like knowing what my body is doing.

I have a near on panic attack if i can't find my scales....
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    once a week for me:smile:
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    daily