HRMs...So many, which do I choose?

Options
I did a search for an hrm and was overwhelmed. I am new to this. I just ordered P90X for my hubby & me. I want to get us both an hrm, but which one? HHHHEEEELLLPPPP!!!!

Replies

• mkcalvert
    mkcalvert Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I did a search for an hrm and was overwhelmed. I am new to this. I just ordered P90X for my hubby & me. I want to get us both an hrm, but which one? HHHHEEEELLLPPPP!!!!

I'm having the same problem and I REALLY need one that is user friendly lol
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Great question. I would like to know this too. Is it best to have a strap or does just wearing the watch work??
    Looking forward to seeing any responses.

Thanks for asking!
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4 and love it!!!! Very easy to set up and use and a pretty good price too :)
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Had the same question myself--I will definitely be looking up that article!! Thanks!!!
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I would guess that most people agree that the one's with the chest strap work best. I have a Polar FT7 and it's awesome. I love knowing what I'm burning and what my heart rate is. The chest strap is comfortable and barely noticeable when I'm wearing it.

I would ask myself, what are my needs? What do I want to track? For me it was calories burned and heart rate. That's how I ended up with the FT7.

The thing with Polars is that some of them don't have a user replaceable battery while others do. That was another deciding factor for me.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7 HRM. It is a basic type. You want a monitor that you can input your age and weight so that the calories burned will be more accurate.

Here is a link at REI that you can look at:
    http://www.rei.com/product/794742

You might be able to find it cheaper at Amazon. Polar was one of the first HRM companies and it is very user friendly.
  • momof7withchrist
    Options

After reading this I wasn't overwhelmed. I feel informed & empowerd. I checked out polar & suunto. Now just hafta wait til next year's tax return...oh well. Anyone else who is not quite sure what to get...read the link!!!
  • momof7withchrist
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Glad I could help. I wish I had that article available to me when I purchased mine.
  • NoemiPE
    NoemiPE Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It really depends on where you want to go with fitness and budget, of course. You can walk into a sporting goods store and spend $20 or download a free smart phone app. I have a Suunto T6, which comes with a heart rate strap and watch. I load my data into the free software & that allows me to track and analyze. Garmin and Suunto are a bit higher end but sell versatile, high quality products (e.g. use for cycling, running, swimming).
  • Jerri_Thompson
    Options
    Ahem...why did you order that? Ahem...
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 is a good HRM. Gives you calories burned, if your in a fitness zone or a fat burning zone, average HR and maxium HR reached during a training session. User friendly and Polar was the first company to come out with a heart monitor. I had problems with an older model in changing the battery and the company changed it for me and mailed it back very quickly.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I am very happy with it. Chest strap is comfortable, it seems accurate - I love it. It's made a huge difference to how I log things under Exercise as MFP underestimated on some things but hugely overestimated on others!
  • joilet
    joilet Posts: 99
    Options
    bump