Hi from a new guy

Options
Loko_Ino
Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
Hello!
New to this site and liking it so far. Very eye-opening when you acutally log what you eat.
I do have a question though, why is strength training excercise not giving credit toward your weekely workout goals? Or is it and I am doing it wrong. Most of what I do it weights and only do cardio stuff as a warm-up, besides 3x a week of HIIT. Am I missing something?
Thanks!

Replies

• Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, to be honest. I've been entering some things, because I'm trying to up how many sits ups/press ups/squats I can do, and it's an easy way to keep track.

Hi, btw.:)
  • getson2010
    getson2010 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't know for sure, but when you lift weights, you actually gain weight because muscle is more heavy than fat. Muscle also helps to burn calories though, so I really don't know. Maybe that's hard to measure because everyone has different muscle tone?
  • GFab
    GFab Posts: 75
    Options
    I think you track both, you put the weight training in on the top for how long you do it for-that will count your calories you burned, then you log your reps on the bottom. I think the top would be more important if you're a calorie counter and trying to loose weight, if you're trying to maintain weight-bottom would count more. i hope that helps =)
    joanna
  • krystleRD
    krystleRD Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I wonder the same thing.. Hi glad ur enjoying the site.. add me if you like
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    In the cardio section you can enter strength training. I believe that will go towards your daily workout goals. Hope this helps!
  • Loko_Ino
    Options
    Wow..so many helpful replies. Thanks everyone!
    Never really used a site this before so a bit of a learning curve for me.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Cardio is really the key to weight loss - coupled with good diet
  • Loko_Ino
    Options
    In the cardio section you can enter strength training. I believe that will go towards your daily workout goals. Hope this helps!

You were right Beckdubs..nver occurred to me to search for strenght training. Bummer it is only 540 cals for 90mins...I am sure I am burning more than that lol.
  • Loko_Ino
    Options
    Cardio is really the key to weight loss - coupled with good diet

Well I could argue that some. Strength training keeps your metabolism raised throughtout the day whereas cardio has an after effect of a few hours. The more muscle you have the higher your resting metabolic rate is. But you are right that food is the key, whether you do cardio or weights. I am figuring that out at this stage in life and find logging my meals here very helpful in making better choices.

Edit: and adding tons more cardio =)
  • jwillie92
    jwillie92 Posts: 10
    Options
    From what I know, weightlifting does not burn fat, it builds muscle. Cardio is what burns fat and calories.
    But... working on a car, moving boxes, making dinner, those are calorie burners. If you are in the exercise
    section, go to database and there is a ton of exercises and it will tell you how many calories you burned for whatever time you did it in. I love it.
  • Loko_Ino
    Options
    From what I know, weightlifting does not burn fat, it builds muscle. Cardio is what burns fat and calories.
    But... working on a car, moving boxes, making dinner, those are calorie burners. If you are in the exercise
    section, go to database and there is a ton of exercises and it will tell you how many calories you burned for whatever time you did it in. I love it.

Well that misconception could be why I have a gut but can bench 400lbs =)
    Looking forward to expanding my knowledge and learning from you all.