Starbucks!?!?

Options
How does a large (Grande) only have 5 calories, but a large "Iced" coffee (which is the pretty much the same coffee brewed twice) 95 calories??

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    That doesn't make sense to me either, unless they are assuming that you're adding milk to it?
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options
    is there any sugar added to the iced coffee?
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Yeah that is with sweetener-if you look there is one that says unsweetened-that one has 5. Iced coffee is not double brewed it is a full bag at half brew so it is stronger, so when you add ice it doesn't water down.

They add sweetener unless you ask for it unsweetened. The hot coffee-they add nothing to.
  • jmo325
    jmo325 Posts: 57
    Options
    At my coffee shop, they normally add milk to it. I think that's the difference.
  • ErikN
    ErikN Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Dont they add sweetened condensed milk to the iced coffees? That would do it.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    That Starbucks item is costing you about $15.00 per GALLON. You would not want to pay that for gas for your car~~~or, would you? Caffeine is NOT heart healthy. It places the heart into extra cardiac workload (tachycardia). If you want a visible resemblance of how tachycardia affects your body, stand in your bathroom and try to continuously flush the toilet. The body cannot tolerate that process for very long because, should it continue it would run from tachycardia to ventricular fibrillation eventually (where the two bottom chambers of the heart are running overtime) then it goes to "flatline" and you might not pull out of it. It is not uncommon for those in their 20s and 30s to end up in the coronary care unit. Be very cautious about your caffeine intake (includes soda pop). Caffeine also plays havoc with the entire nervous system in your body.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    There is no milk added unless you ask, however they do sweeten unless you ask not to. At the one I worked at we usually asked if they want it sweetened, because many people down' know.
  • thebigwindmill
    thebigwindmill Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Actually, iced coffee is brewed double strength not twice. The recipe also says to add classic syrup to it, which is a sweetener. So unless you specifically ask for no syrup, you get those extra calories. That's what my barista sister says.

Side note: grande is medium and venti is large.
  • coberleyc
    Options
    I use to work at starbucks and it can be super confusing...The iced coffee *as is* is sweetened with a syrup-like-sugar and is like 20 calories a pump I think. So if you op. for the unsweetended or ask for them to add splenda instead its 5 calories...and also milk added makes it higher calories too so make sure its unsweetened and without milk :)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    That Starbucks item is costing you about $15.00 per GALLON. You would not want to pay that for gas for your car~~~or, would you? Caffeine is NOT heart healthy. It places the heart into extra cardiac workload (tachycardia). If you want a visible resemblance of how tachycardia affects your body, stand in your bathroom and try to continuously flush the toilet. The body cannot tolerate that process for very long because, should it continue it would run from tachycardia to ventricular fibrillation eventually (where the two bottom chambers of the heart are running overtime) then it goes to "flatline" and you might not pull out of it. It is not uncommon for those in their 20s and 30s to end up in the coronary care unit. Be very cautious about your caffeine intake (includes soda pop). Caffeine also plays havoc with the entire nervous system in your body.

I suppose that would apply to overdosing on caffeine. In moderation it doesn't seem to hinder anything. That said, I drink about 2 - 3 cups a day.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Yeah that is with sweetener-if you look there is one that says unsweetened-that one has 5. Iced coffee is not double brewed it is a full bag at half brew so it is stronger, so when you add ice it doesn't water down.

They add sweetener unless you ask for it unsweetened. The hot coffee-they add nothing to.

:angry: I HAD NO IDEA! Thanks for telling us. :drinker: I never thought to check. I find this crazy b/c when you go to a place that does cold-brew they don't add anything.