Plateau?

Options
I lost ~20 lbs in a month and a half, and then just stopped losing any weight. I'm very confused. I did start under-eating, but once I realized that makes you stop losing weight, I started eating better. I exercise almost every day. What's the problem?!

Replies

• david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Stay with the programme, this happens to most of us (I've had two episodes) I try mixing up my exercise routine, as the body is very clever at adapting otherwise...

rgds, David
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Stay with the programme, this happens to most of us (I've had two episodes) I try mixing up my exercise routine, as the body is very clever at adapting otherwise...

rgds, David

Agree! Also, try different foods.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Depending on how long you under-ate and how long you've been back to eating the necessary requirement of calories, I'd say give your body at least 2-4 weeks to adjust. So long as you don't keep doing the same exercises in the exact same manner for the exact same duration every day you shouldn't hit a plateau - unless of course you are very close to your ideal body weight. The closer you get to your idea body weight the slower the weight loss, and yes - plateaus.
  • loriefolk
    loriefolk Posts: 352
    Options
    Just mix it up a little :) Once or twice a week go over/under your calories. Change your workout routine and keep drinking lots of water :)
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    David is right-you need to mix up your routine. Do you strength train? In all my time with weight loss I have found that this is the best fat burner out there. Did you know endurance cardio likes to hang on to fat for it's energy? With strength training-the more muscle you have the more fat you lose just sitting around. The first time I started to workout it was all cardio. I am about to be finished with school for personal training and am working at a bootcamp. We do endurance strength training with anaerobic cardio infused in by doing sprints in between every couple of sets. It is an amazing work out and in 3 weeks my body has changed. I have only lost 5 lbs, but my body has changed a lot more than just 5 lbs taken off would give it a change. So if you are not strength training I would incorporate it into your workouts.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    20 pounds in that time is a lot of weight to drop and yes we all plateau at some stage. Change up your cals per day, increase the amount some days then decrease it others.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm very frustrated too. I lost 22, then back up 5 for ten days, then back down. Now I'm up 3. It's like my body said "No, an hour a day of hard cardio and all this healthy food isn't enough. I think we'll hold on to this lard forever. No offense."

Mind you, 20 years ago I lost 75 pounds doing the exact same exercise every day and eating tons of carbs. There was no technology, calorie counting, HIIT, ellipticals, heart rate monitors, BMI, and protein was yucky and supplements were taken by old people.
  • LionheartedDonna
    LionheartedDonna Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the help. I have no idea about most of these things! XD