Losing weight in 6 months

Options
Hi,

I am new to myfitnesspal.com but a friend of mine in Canada says that it has worked wonders for her so I am really hoping. My mother is going on a cruise in September and wants to take me along... currently I am 175 pounds and while when I look in the mirror I think of myself as pretty and fine, I get my picture taken and am shown a different image of myself. It almost had me in tears recently and has made me realize I need to get serious about this.

So, my goal is for the cruise (which is six months away) I would like to be down to 130 pounds. Please let me know if you would like to friend me and help me with this goal.

Replies

• isaiahxoxoender
    Options
    How tall are you?

This site is amazing! I hate counting calories but this site makes it so fricken easy. Good luck hun!!! If you need a friend I'm here. I just joined two days ago and have been on this lifestyle change for 18 days. :) Lost 12 lbs so far.
  • adnama_wpg
    adnama_wpg Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    FIRST THINGS FIRST - you should have said "My super awesome friend from one of the coldest parts of Canada is looking really FINE because of this site".

BUT I think you can do it. I started at 170.4 on Jan 4 and am SECONDS away from being 15 lbs lighter. My goal is to get down to 130 lbs as well! SAMSIES!!
  • RedE4Change
    Options
    I have a pretty similar goal. Lose 50lbs in 6 months in time for our trip to Disney World!! And for the same reason too...I feel fairly good about life until I see a picture of myself. It's shocking and horrifying. I have changed so much in the last 4 years, I don't even recognize myself anymore!!

We can do this!! :)
  • darwintheboxer
    Options
    I started here just about 5 months ago and have lost 35 lbs so far. I have gone from 175 to 140lbs, with 5 more pounds to my original goal. The first 20 came off faster than the last 15lbs, but I am still losing about 1 lb a week. Good luck.
  • Tarah1357
    Tarah1357 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do this! You'll love the site!
    I have a wedding I'm in at the end of October and would like to lose 40-50lbs for so I understand! Good luck with your journey!
  • bluedecor
    bluedecor Posts: 28
    Options
    I am also at 175 pounds, with a goal of 125 in 11 months. I'm 5'1" so that's a reasonable weight for me. What's your height?

I am working towards a loss of 1lb a week. I don't mean to discourage you, but I think your goal is really ambitious for 6 months. Don't set yourself up for failure. What really counts is the BMI, how you fit in your clothes, and your energy level. Don't let the scale tell you if you are "good" or "bad". Take some baby steps to eat healthy and get exercise into your life. Weight training helps preserve lean muscle mass, and makes me feel really good.

Good Luck! Change is hard, but we can do it!
  • mommyof5kids
    Options
    I really think this is reasonable....I want to be at my goal weight by the end of July (wedding to go to) and my anniversary is in November and my husband and I are going on a child-free trip then!!! I want to lose between 35 and 40 pounds by then----I want to make sure that I can maintain my weight so if I can lose more than this and keep it off then I will do it....I really like this site---makes it fun to track your food and exercise. Good Luck!
  • bluedecor
    Options
    I looked at a picture of myself from 2008 and realized that menopause has done a number on me but I'm fighting back! My personal style requires fitted clothes and tucked in shirts and now I look so bad. I've got a goal to work for and no more excuses.
  • joaniej75
    joaniej75 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This is my first real week on MFP. I have about 30 pounds to lose. I think I look ok from the face up but my body tells me something totally different. My goal is 5 pounds and when I lose that 5 more. Thats the only way I will be able to stick with it.
  • Cathcandoo
    Cathcandoo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am going on a Disney Cruise in 4 1/2 months! And I DO NOT want to be mistaken for Miss Piggy - so I am serious and would love to help you on your journey - I too am from Canada - Ontario...and your friend is hilarious - I saw her post to you!

I started this site 2 1/2 weeks ago for the same reason - I saw a picture of me and went, "who the hell is that?!" yah, real eye-opener those frickin' cameras!

You can do this - this site is amazing if you truly give it your best effort - it will be returned to you a hundred fold :)

Please feel free to add me as a very supportive friend - as long as someone leaves a msg with a request - I am there for them :)